Thread: MOA Getaway - VIR Rider Training, Alton, Virginia - 9.14.2015

MOA Getaway - VIR Rider Training, Alton, Virginia - 9.14.2015

This event will be held at Virginia International Raceway in Alton, Virginia. Details are at:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/event_d...=610563&group=
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If You Haven't Been, Seriously Consider This Event

I attended as a participant last year and what a blast! My first track day experience and it didn't take but a couple of sessions to hook me. Powering any motorcycle down the front straight at VIR is a blast. I don't have any aspirations of being Valentino Rossi, but I did learn some tips and techniques that help me on the street.

One of the most simple strategies on the track was to hold the bars with "screwdriver" hands. Essentially a very light grip on the bars with the fingers doing the work rather than the hands. Similar to how you would grip a screwdriver. As an MSF instructor, I was taught to ride with my right wrist down. I've been plagued lately with my right hand numbing and I assumed it was simply sport bikes and aging wrists, but low and behold it is really more tension in the wrist and forearm from the wrist down position. Changing my grip a bit to incorporate screwdriver hands made a world of difference in my comfort on the bike for regular street riding.

That was 15 minutes of an eight hour day of on track learning. The instructors are very professional and a very low instructor:student ratio, usually 1:3 or less. Well worth the time and effort if you ever have a desire to find the limits of yourself or your motorcycle.
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

A Few Spots Still Open

Time is running out to join the MOA at Virginia International Raceway on September 14th for the Cornerspeed Advanced Riding School and Trackday. Normally, this expert instruction would set you back $490, but special pricing for MOA members along with the MOA Foundation's Paul B. Scholarship means you could take the Cornerspeed class for only $200! Track day only spots are available for $175.

Register online and get the Paul B. Scholarship, http://www.cornerspeed.net/2014/bmwmoa.php. Only a few slots and scholarships remain. Hope to see you there!

vir.jpg
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

What a great opportunity at a fantastic price !

I am really looking forward to this course and have heard a lot of good things about it. A friend of mine did the Cornerspeed course at the $490 rate and said it was well worth it. As a BMW MOA member and the scholarship offered by BMW Foundation, being able take the course at $200 is an incredible opportunity to advance your riding skills in a controlled, safe environment. I am seriously looking forward to this. I've decided to trailer the motorcycle to the track -- only the 2nd time in 37 years I have trailered a perfectly running BMW. If anyone in the Raleigh area who is riding their bike to the event and needs additional support equipment at the track, I have some room to transport items. In exchange, I may ask for some help in unloading and loading my bike from my enclosed trailer. Hope to see you there and thanks to the BMW Foundation !

William
    aka, Weiner

Well, that was fun! What an amazing facility and great day. Meet a lot of great riders and improved my skills a bit with a long way to go. Best wishes to those that got banged up.
    09 R 1200 GS
    14 HP4

This was my first ever track day, and I had a blast! Thanks to Aaron and his staff - especially "Fluffy," who helped me break a bad habit and really start to free up my lower body on the bike! And big thanks tothe MOA Foundation for helping me make it happen - hopefully I can make some donations this winter and help someone else next year.
    Chaz
    The skill of effective coaching lies in asking the right questions.
    2002 K1200RS "Sonic" 1979 R65 "Hans"

Picture link?

It was a first time track day for me as well. I enjoyed it a great deal. Now, I'm trying to find the link to the photographer's web page. If anyone has it, please post it here. I forgot to pick up a business card and I'd like to see if she has any good shots of me on the track. Also, if the MOA photog wants to send me a private message with a link, that would be good, too.

And, special thanks to "Big Steve" who loaned me his spare leathers so I could participate.

http://store.fandsenterprises.com/in...y=15225#page=1

No affiliation, just found the link on Google.
    -Drew

2015 R1200GS

I don't want to take anything away from the pro photog that was there, but if you attended the class and rode a BMW, send me a PM with your email address. Once I've sorted out my photos with what's for MOA-exclusive use, I should be able to provide copies of the other photos to anybody that I captured.

Since I focused on Beemers, if you weren't on one, there's basically no chance that I got a picture of you. Sorry about that!

(one exception - I know I got a good photo of the blue Triumph)

Big thanks to Aaron & crew for making me feel welcome even though I wasn't in the class. Great atmosphere! I even accidentally learned a couple things

(PS this is Wes, the MOA ON editor/reporter/photographer that was there)
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers

Quote Originally Posted by wranck View Post
    It was a first time track day for me as well. I enjoyed it a great deal. Now, I'm trying to find the link to the photographer's web page. If anyone has it, please post it here. I forgot to pick up a business card and I'd like to see if she has any good shots of me on the track. Also, if the MOA photog wants to send me a private message with a link, that would be good, too.

And, special thanks to "Big Steve" who loaned me his spare leathers so I could participate.
    Or you can email Bridgette - Bridgette@fandsenterprises.com
    Chaz
    The skill of effective coaching lies in asking the right questions.
    2002 K1200RS "Sonic" 1979 R65 "Hans"