• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Pineville, Kentucky -- 9.11 - 9.12.2015

Lodging Opportunity

We reserved a single room cabin (full kitchen, central heat & AC, gas fireplace, etc) that also has a sleeper sofa in the livingroom. Wife can't attend, so I'll offer the sleeper sofa to whomever needs it.

I'll be leaving Evansville IN Friday morning, finding some two-lanes along the way, and plan to arrive to check in before dinner. Staying both nights and checking out Sunday morning before heading home.

Send me a PM, or email president@bavorak.org

Also, if anyone would like to meet-up for the ride to this event, that might be fun. I am accustomed to group rides, and am comfortable leading, following, or bringing up the rear in large and small groups. Typical BMW rider - fully farkled with GPS/XM/Radar/B2B (GRMS radio) etc.

Also, if someone needs a registration for this event, and I don't know if it's full or not, my wife's registration is available. My other option is to cancel her's, at which point I suspect that spot becomes available to anyone.

Signed up for the event

Hey guys,
I have finally signed up for the event, planning to get there on Friday. Wondering if there are others coming from Michigan. Feel free to pm me. I will be trailer info my F800GS.
Booked a 1 bedroom cabin as all the lodge rooms are taken.

Also I saw that there were no organized group rides. Would like to know the reason - if the organizers would like to clarify. I think there are a couple of local riders and prior visitors that probably have ridden the scenic routes. Would love to have them lead some rises on Saturday and maybe even early Sunday morning.
Cheers
PJ

I'm not the MOA but I'll take a swing at the answer ....

...Two words: Insurance Liability. Just imagine the scenario of loss of life during an organized ride backed by the MOA itself.
Someones estate would "own" the organization.
The MOA itself just recently had its first major insurance payout by lawsuit; triple digits dollars in fact.
And when our policy came up for renewal... we were canceled. Best efforts on finding a new policy had us ante up a considerable premium increase...
with new restrictions on activities I understand; so you'll find it difficult to find anyone, anymore, to "lead" (taking responsibility/liability) other riders.
Also new rates for clubs calling for coverage through our master umbrella policy.
It's a new era for the way we do business.

"travel'n" John

News Just In!

This event has been sold out for several weeks based on available accommodations. We have just this morning been notified by the park that there have been some cancellations (not necessarily from our group) for this weekend and as such they now have 2 Lodge rooms (each with 2 queen beds), a 1 bedroom cabin with pull out couch, and a 2 bedroom (2 bath) cottage available for both Friday & Saturday nights, September 11 & 12.

So there is still time to register and get in on this fun weekend. Register for the event itself here http://www.bmwmoa.org/events/event_details.asp?id=609107&group=

Contact the lodge for room reservations by calling;

Pine Mountain State Resort Park
1050 State Park Road
Pineville, KY 40977
606-337-3066

Tell them you want in the BMW MOA room block!

Make sure you book your lodging first to make sure there is actual room available...these won't last long!

We'll see you in Pineville!

Hey guys,
I have finally signed up for the event, planning to get there on Friday. Wondering if there are others coming from Michigan. Feel free to pm me. I will be trailer info my F800GS.
Booked a 1 bedroom cabin as all the lodge rooms are taken.

Also I saw that there were no organized group rides. Would like to know the reason - if the organizers would like to clarify. I think there are a couple of local riders and prior visitors that probably have ridden the scenic routes. Would love to have them lead some rises on Saturday and maybe even early Sunday morning.
Cheers
PJ

Hi PJ glad to hear you will be attending this event! While there will not be any "led" rides you can bet there will be groups of riders getting together to ride the great roads in the area. There will be several suggested rides available with maps to help out. It should be easy to get with other riders going on your preferred direction. Again there will be plenty of information at the Friday night reception.

Have a safe trip in and we look forward to seeing you there!

Hey everyone,

I'm semi local to the Pineville area and if I can be of assistance or provide any local information, give me a yell.

Question about routing, Tom. Heading west from Tazewell on US 19, which is the better route from Hansonville to Jonesville - Alt 58 via Big Stone Gap, or 71 to Gate City & then 58/421?

Many thanks!

Which Route?

Question about routing, Tom. Heading west from Tazewell on US 19, which is the better route from Hansonville to Jonesville - Alt 58 via Big Stone Gap, or 71 to Gate City & then 58/421?

Many thanks!

I live near Hansonville, VA, (Abingdon, to be specific) and am very familiar with both routes. You'll not go wrong on either. My preference is 71 to Gate City. Great two lane road with nice vistas, and if you are up for it you can take a little detour from Gate City back east on 421and AP Carter highway to Hiltons, and visit the Carter Fold, home of Johnny and June Carter Cash.

My choice at Hansonville will definitely be to travel 58 to Norton, then 23BR to Appalachia followed by a right turn in Appalachia on Inman Road (Trail of the Lonesome Pine), which is a very twisty, well maintained two lane paved road up over Black Mountain at the KY/VA state line (highest peak in Kentucky) where it becomes KY 160, on through Benham, KY (Good Coal Museum here) to Cumberland, then left on 119 S to Pine Mountain. This will take a little longer (~45 min) but roads like 160 are what I ride for.

My wife and I will see you there!

Calvin Miller

Last edited:
Grabbing lunch in Wytheville then continuing south on 81S. See you guys soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just arrived home from a this another great MOA Weekend Getaway event. Thanks to Bill & Nancy Van Voorhis and the Riders of Knoxville for all the great planning work....and facilitation of the event itself...great job! It is always good to see friends not seen in a while and make a bunch of new ones too. Thanks to everyone who attended and supported the event! Stay tuned for the 2016 lineup of great Getaway events coming soon!

Have to agree with Vance who I met for the first time at the event.

Despite the very funky weather forecast for the event that apparently caused a f.ew to cancel, reality was quite decent. In a 500 mile each way ride from the NC coast and at the event, Becky and I hit only a small bit of rain when going over the mountains on 40 on the way there. Our ride back was on the first true fall day we've had in the area- clear sky 48 or so to start making barely 80 in the sun at PM peak

Event was well organized, place and company were good. Pretty riding country.

Try one of these if you haven't previously...

Back