• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Pineville, Kentucky -- 9.11 - 9.12.2015

That's most likely going to be the nicest, but it's First Come First Serve. There's not much in/around Pineville itself. Quick internet digging doesn't turn up a whole lot and there isn't much listed in the materials I have from the tourism board. I'm hoping to find some little bed/breakfast and smaller campgrounds.

Edit:

The weather has kept me from getting up there this week. I'll try again Sunday or Monday. There are a couple places in Middlesboro I want to check out. One in particular back up to an offroad riding area that looks to be much fun for the GS crowd. Nice dirt roads and the like. I've also mapped out some DS rides over in Daniel Boone and will be checking those out soon. So much great riding on and off road in this area.

Last edited:
Rode back up to Pineville and the surrounding areas yesterday. There is your standard hotel stuff, especially down in Middlesboro which is only about 12 miles from the lodge at Pine Mountain. As for camping...well there's not a lot of good news. The closest place you'll see listed is Marty's ATV. I rode out there and I would not recommend it. It's definitely set up for ATV folks trailering in. The next place you'll find listed in searches is the Bell County Forestry Camp. This is a minimum security facility with the KY Dept. of Corrections.

The third closest place, and the last one is realistic distance from the Pine Mountain lodge is also the best. Wilderness Road Campground is Cumberland Gap Nat'l Park. It's in Virginia, but it's only 18.5 miles from the site. The campsites are what you expect from an eastern Nat'l Park and are fantastic. Prices are very reasonable and the facilities are great.

I know it's not a lot of info, but I hope it helps. Take care and post up if you have any questions.

Pineville, KY, MOA Getaway

Jean and I are registered and plan to take a "long way around" route to Pineville on the 11th. We live nearby in Southwest VA, and travel on a '12 K1600
GTL. Will arrive in time for dinner! :)

Cal Miller

Would like to come

Looks like a 7 hr something ride from where I live no. of Pittsburgh, PA. So what are my lodging options? Just read bears are active in Cumberland Camp grounds. A bear could surely spoil my trip. :banghead
anyone still need someone to share a cabin with?

Dan

I found a Best Western Wilderness trail Inn

in Barbourville supposedly 15 miles up the road from Pineville. Rated decently for $163 for 2 nights.

Events Schedule?

Wondering if you have an event schedule yet? Trying to decide between a late Friday night arrival and an early Saturday morning arrival. Thanks

Wondering if you have an event schedule yet? Trying to decide between a late Friday night arrival and an early Saturday morning arrival. Thanks

Please note some of these times could shift slightly before the official schedule is published. This was some napkin planning with the other planners a while back.

Registration will open at 3:00 Friday and go throughout the evening. There is Welcome reception/Meet and Mingle kinda thing from 6-9 with some heavy hors-d'oeuvres.

Late registration will open from 7-9 Sat morning. During the day on Sat folks are on their own. While there are no "official" rides, there will be maps, gps files and some folks from our local club who will be happy to share their experience on the roads and any/all attendees are welcome to ride along with them. There's a dinner and program from 6-10 that night.

Sunday is hangout and headout.

....when is someone going to gently nudge "waynew" with the news of "mountain riding time/distance" equations... he's attempting to leave Connecticut somewhere on the 10th and ride non-interstate routing to arrive afternoon of the 11th! The traffic in/out of Dollar Stores alone through PA, VA, and that region of KY... will be about a 5 hour delay and a set of brake pads! Then there's that obstacle called West Virginia.... usually day ride in itself.
I know a K16 is fast... but still?

"travel'n" john

Please direct all future questions to the National Office as I am no longer on the planning team for this event.

I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Beemer in the Blue Grass Frankfort, KY

Camping at Still Water camp ground on this one same weekend if you are discouraged by no camp sights nearby for this one. I'm planning to do this one. Should be a lot of fun.

....say that again differently, for my understanding of a possible place to camp.

....say that again differently, for my understanding of a possible place to camp.

I was just commenting that another BMW event is "Beemers in the Blue Grass" that is having an event this same weekend near Frankfort, KY. They are camping at Still Water Camp ground a bit North of Frankfort along the KY river.
Its $25 to camp and they are going to feed us dinner Sat. night I believe. I've yet to take my Beemer on a camping trip & I am looking forward to it. Plan to take Friday off work & leave early for the 6+ hour ride down there. I'm coming thru Cincinnati on my way to Frankfort from Pittsburgh, PA.

Kutter
'04 R1150RT

Last edited:
Just by way of personal advice.
I spent a week during 2014 renting a house in Pineville, KY with some friends, and did day rides throughout the area.
If any of you get a chance, head over to Cumberland Gap National Park via Middlesboro, KY and have yourself a blast going up and down Pinnacle View Road to Pinnacle Overlook with an elevation of 2440 feet. This 4 mile road is NOT for the faint of heart or the newbie. It is a surprisingly steep and twisty road. Tight switchbacks and steep grades make this a tough but enjoyable ride. The views from the top are spectacular and you'll even find a white painted line on the asphalt walkway to the top indicating the Kentucky/Virginia border.
Its only about 20 minutes due South of where you'll be staying by taking 25E. If it has rained in the morning, wait 'til the road dries. Its adventurous enough dry. Wet would be impossible. And the pavement was in fine shape, at least last time I was there.

If any of you do this, please let me know your thoughts when you get back.

Here's a couple of videos (not mine) to whet your whistle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk0MTSR0jrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0YwTyj3THo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY44qr5oBwY

pinnancle_zps4d5chx5v.jpg

I get all giggly remembering it. :)

Last edited:
Local Beemer Rider

Hey everyone,

I'm semi local to the Pineville area and if I can be of assistance or provide any local information, give me a yell. You are coming to a beautiful part of the country with some great places to ride!

(Update) I pulled out some of my routes and created a few new ones and uploaded, hopefully this will be helpful. These were all created in Garmin BaseCamp and some range out as far as 90 miles from Pine Mountain..

Places I have Routes to are:

Cumberland Falls - Backroads to Cumberland Falls State Park. Website
Kingdom Come State Park - Fastest way to get there on main roads. Website
Kingdom Come State Part - Back Roads, very scenic
Laurel Lake Loop - Back roads around Laurel Lake, across Laurel River Dam, to London near Levi Jackson Park then back to Pineville. Wiki
Little Sheperd Trail - Entire trail, including gravel sections. Website
Little Sheperd Trail - Paved Sections Only
McClound Mountain Restaurant - Amazing view from the restaurant, but must make reservations to get on the mountain. Website. Phone # (423) 562-3282
Natural Arch Scenic Area - Located West of Cumberland Falls, very scenic ride through CF State Park. Website
Pinnacle Overlook - View three states from an overlook with an exciting road to the top of the mountain. Images
Red Bird Petroglyph - Pre-Historic rock with petroglyphic writing on it, more here: Wiki
South 74 Loop - No specific destination, loops out into beautiful countryside and returns to Pineville along 25E. It's very curvy!
Big South Fork NRRA - Historic mining town next to the south fork of the Cumberland river. You pass through the Cumberland Falls State Park on Hwy 90 and continue West through some very beautiful country with many curvy roads. Route ends at the Blue Heron Mining Camp, a representation of a early 20th century coal mining camp. Big South Fork NRRA Blue Heron Mining Town

(Update 9/24/2015) I made some corrections to this .GPX, now the starting point for several of the rides is not on a park service road. Hope someone can use them next year.

Tom H.
Corbin, KY
MOA# 151824
2014 R1200GSA
mikasa67@gmail.com

Attachments

• PineMountainMOA2015_v3.gpx
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We're seriously considering this event. Looking forward to hearing more details.
I live about 2 hour ride from there I would like to go to this event but I would like more info on the days events and time line.

Would it be bad to show up Saturday afternoon hang around for dinner then have to ride home that night.

Hope to get a responses before I buy tickets

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Howdy folks!

I'm part of the planning team for the Pine Mountain Getaway. Nancy, Bill, and I along with the National Office are really excited to host you all this fall. The local club is hard at work building routes, making lists of the best places to eat, and finding hidden gems to share. Don't hesitate to register for this one. It's going to be a great weekend and I hope to see you there.

Gabe

edit:
Important Announcement

Hey everyone,

Reservations CANNOT be done on the Pine Mountain website. If you go to the park reservation website it will look like all the rooms are taken, because we have them blocked out. You must call the lodge front desk at 606-337-3066 and tell them they are with the BMW MOA Get-a-Way weekend.
Is there a time line for Saturday I've never been to one of these events don't know how this all works

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

.... the "timeline/schedule" is mostly described in post #48 above. I suppose if you've registered (and paid as is required) before the deadline... you could arrive Saturday afternoon, for your $89 dinner and t-shirt/grab bag/door prize opportunity. There are no un-registered drop-in's for these Getaways.

I cancelled my reservations today at 1900. That should leave a 2 bedroom cottage available for anyone who needs one.

Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Back