Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Pineville, Kentucky -- 9.11 - 9.12.2015

Good food!

In case anyone likes vegan food there is a really good restaurant in Jellico TN called Sweat Pea Garden Pantry. Service is a little slow but the food is fantastic! My wife and I ate there this spring on our way to Ride Royal Blue. Right on the TN-Ky line.

Rooms

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post
    I called today and was told no more rooms.
    What is a suggested area to stay Friday and Saturday night?
    Try Middlesborough, about 12 miles south of Pineville. The SleepInn. I had a room there until Mossy_Crk helped me get a room at Pinevile. When I called them they were very nice.

Share lodging

Quote Originally Posted by chrisabraham View Post
    Hi there, MOAs, I just wanted to let you all know that I am your most recent registrant for the trip to Kentucky. Before I rent a room and all that, I would like to see if anyone wants to share a room or camp or if there's a group house or anything like that. Why not ask, right? Otherwise, I'll happily rent my own room.

Also, is there going to be a a caravan heading down to KY from Metro Washington/DC/VA/MD? It would be fun to head there is a pack I can join up and ride with.

Cheers & thanks in advance.
    Chris,

I just PM'd you.

2 bedroom cabin is still available as of this morning.
    I'd be up for sharing with you or someone else.

I'll be coming from Asheville, NC.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post
    Chris, I just PM'd you. 2 bedroom cabin is still available as of this morning. I'd be up for sharing with you or someone else. I'll be coming from Asheville, NC.
    Hi Doug, I am game. I am also game if you'd like to ride together. I am assuming that Ashville, NC, isn't too far out of the way from me in Arlington, VA -- sort of maybe en route (I should probably check a map). Thanks for thinking of me, I'm game. Let me know how to proceed.
    Purple 1995 BMW K1100LT named Pōni with the license plate ICBMW

Quote Originally Posted by chrisabraham View Post
    ... assuming that Ashville, NC, isn't too far out of the way from me in Arlington, VA
    Maybe not the best course of action, Doug -- maybe we should just meet there.
    Purple 1995 BMW K1100LT named Pōni with the license plate ICBMW

All set.
    Chris and I got the last cottage.

Looking forward to it!

I'm coming too! from CT

Don't be turned off by thinking there are no rooms available. I just booked a cottage as well. Maybe there are people that have backed out.

I plan on heading out from CT early on the 10th thru NY turning south at sometime through western PA, then heading to KY. I'm planning on full day rides on non interstate roads.
    2012 K1600GTL

I called today, no vacancies. Any one planning on staying in area motels, or is there a camping option.

I'm also curious what the camping options are.

I'm riding back up there later this week. I'll shift my focus from route recce to finding and reviewing some campgrounds. May take a couple of trips. I'll post back soon.
    Last edited by Mossy_Crk; 06-29-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: changed the timeline

I had asked about campgrounds in the area when first checking on room reservations.

The lady I talked to at Pine Mountain said the closest camping she was aware of is at Cumberland Gap.
    http://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisit/camping.htm

She said it was 15 to 20 minutes from Pine Mountain.

That's most likely going to be the nicest, but it's First Come First Serve. There's not much in/around Pineville itself. Quick internet digging doesn't turn up a whole lot and there isn't much listed in the materials I have from the tourism board. I'm hoping to find some little bed/breakfast and smaller campgrounds.

Edit:

The weather has kept me from getting up there this week. I'll try again Sunday or Monday. There are a couple places in Middlesboro I want to check out. One in particular back up to an offroad riding area that looks to be much fun for the GS crowd. Nice dirt roads and the like. I've also mapped out some DS rides over in Daniel Boone and will be checking those out soon. So much great riding on and off road in this area.
    Last edited by Mossy_Crk; 07-02-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Rode back up to Pineville and the surrounding areas yesterday. There is your standard hotel stuff, especially down in Middlesboro which is only about 12 miles from the lodge at Pine Mountain. As for camping...well there's not a lot of good news. The closest place you'll see listed is Marty's ATV. I rode out there and I would not recommend it. It's definitely set up for ATV folks trailering in. The next place you'll find listed in searches is the Bell County Forestry Camp. This is a minimum security facility with the KY Dept. of Corrections.

The third closest place, and the last one is realistic distance from the Pine Mountain lodge is also the best. Wilderness Road Campground is Cumberland Gap Nat'l Park. It's in Virginia, but it's only 18.5 miles from the site. The campsites are what you expect from an eastern Nat'l Park and are fantastic. Prices are very reasonable and the facilities are great.

I know it's not a lot of info, but I hope it helps. Take care and post up if you have any questions.

EyeBiker

Pineville, KY, MOA Getaway

Jean and I are registered and plan to take a "long way around" route to Pineville on the 11th. We live nearby in Southwest VA, and travel on a '12 K1600
    GTL. Will arrive in time for dinner!

Cal Miller
    Calvin Miller
    2012 K1600GTL

Would like to come

Looks like a 7 hr something ride from where I live no. of Pittsburgh, PA. So what are my lodging options? Just read bears are active in Cumberland Camp grounds. A bear could surely spoil my trip.
    anyone still need someone to share a cabin with?

Dan