• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.24 - 4.26.2015

Company will no doubt be good and this is an excellent couples event.
However, it is 3 weeks too early to hit optimal spring riding weather at that location.
Weather when scheduled is highly variable in mountains- you can come around a small peak and run into totally different weather. Be prepared for it.
Also remember it will be chilly if you go up on the BRP or similar at 5-6K ft (low 40s or less in the early AM)....
At least you won't see the summer squids on the Dragon, just a few miles from where you're staying.
(HINT- there are many better roads in NC than the Dragon)

Company will no doubt be good and this is an excellent couples event.
However, it is 3 weeks too early to hit optimal spring riding weather at that location.
Weather when scheduled is highly variable in mountains- you can come around a small peak and run into totally different weather. Be prepared for it.
Also remember it will be chilly if you go up on the BRP or similar at 5-6K ft (low 40s or less in the early AM)....
At least you won't see the summer squids on the Dragon, just a few miles from where you're staying.

You got that right.

But then again, isn't that why we have electrically heated gear under our Stich? :):wave:thumb

)....

Absolutely agree with that, AND thanks for not mentioning those roads by name. I think it's great that the dragon has such notoriety. It tends to make those better roads much less crowded.

What's the latest!?

Sara and I are riding down on Thursday from Raleigh. Anyone else nearby thinking of heading down early? Only 2 weeks to go! :dance

Camping?

We have never been to one of the "Getaway" events but to numerous national rallies. We are thinking of trying the Fontana Village one out but just curious, do the majority of the folks motel it or camp? The national rallies have such great comradery in the camping areas but, I can see how there would be the same at the main lodge of Fontana. I know besides the Fontana Village camp ground, there are some great camping areas very close. Thanks for your input!

We have never been to one of the "Getaway" events but to numerous national rallies. We are thinking of trying the Fontana Village one out but just curious, do the majority of the folks motel it or camp? The national rallies have such great comradery in the camping areas but, I can see how there would be the same at the main lodge of Fontana. I know besides the Fontana Village camp ground, there are some great camping areas very close. Thanks for your input!

I'm not sure about the camping for this event, but I imagine there will be good times around the campfire at the base of the lodge in the evening's. If no fire, I believe they were able to secure the main meeting room inside the lodge specifically for us the entire weekend :)

We have never been to one of the "Getaway" events but to numerous national rallies. We are thinking of trying the Fontana Village one out but just curious, do the majority of the folks motel it or camp?

This is a motel rally, most of the people stay at the lodge. The camping is a mile or so away, down by the dam.

Outstanding riding today!!! Folks arriving in a steady flow...good times have begun! No cell service, all is good!

We had great weather! Most of us expected Saturday to be a washout, but the sun came out after 10:00am and it was another nice day up there. Nice event with great people overall. :thumb

Had a great time and met a lot of great people. Plan on attending more of the MOA Getaway events this year.

Back