• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Carrying Cameras

I have a more global view. In addition to the bike, I want a bag that will be good when I want to hike in a mile or so, to photograph some birds.

I use the Tamrac Adventure and I have an exterior pouch for my circular polarizers that has stayed on during triple digit long tours.

Here's mine Forgive the brown taped tarp - someone stole my gear bag from a laundermat. good thing I had a tent tarp.

136746237_9kzrv-L.jpg

Thats pretty much how my setup is for the Airhead since I have two part tankbag with big magnets on the side and it has a strap that goes around the steering stem so it can't fall off. I put a towel in the bottom of the bag covered by a sheet of plastic so water can't soak in from the bottom if its raining. I took the velcro dividers from an old camera bag and got some sticky-back velrco strips attached inside the bag to make compartments to hold slr with 50mm lens and two more for the other two lens. Plus the two-part bag has shoulder straps on the upper bag part so I can remove it and carry it with me as a small back pack. Nice arrangement.

On the LT I have to settle for the regular camera bag in the trunk, padded with a towel since the tankbag won't work on the plastic $%^&@# tupperware. Or now with the G9 I may just leave the slr at home for day rides unless I know I'm going places where I can park my highway pig comfortably to get to the slr. The G9 rides in the little tank bag up front for shots where I can't get off the bike which is fairly often since I mostly wonder 2-lane back roads with little or no shoulder.

RM

I keep/store my digital SLR and lenses in a Lowe/Pelican combo that is completely bomb-proof. I've taken my gear on two separate three-week trips down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. If a bag and hard case can protect sensitive camera gear from the water, sand, and grit of a long river trip, it can withstand motorcycle trips. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Omni-Trekker-Trekker-Extreme,1985,9.htm

Unfortunately, my Pelican is too large to fit in a side case on my RT. So the camera goes into my Big Mak tank bag. Then it's always right in front of me should I come upon a subject that must be photographed immediately. If it's going to rain, I throw in a gallon "Ziplock" type freezer bag to keep the camera dry should the rain soak through the fabric of the tank bag.

Some day I'll fabricate a mount for the top of my radio box that will accommodate the Pelican case, but until then, the tank bag works just fine.

remember the old nikon F ad where the photographer smuggled his nikon into a country by putting into a bucket of water?

i'm thinkin' that won't work with a digital.....

i've been thinking about one of these sling packs:

11051014.jpg

... it would work well for rapid access, not so well for crash protection.

good think i never crash. :ha

I have one of these and really like it. Easy access when on the bike and I don't have to dedicate my tank bag to camera storage. There is a secondary strap that creates a "Y" harness in the front and the pack stays planted on your back. And, the bag comes with a built in rain cover. :thumb

Back