• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Carrying Cameras

deanzat

If you were carrying a well-padded bag full of valuable photographic equipment, would you put it in a saddlebag or the topbox? Why?

Thanks, DZ

I would put it in the place least likely to directly transmit the vibrations of the bike and road. If the saddlebags were leather, then they might well be best. If all the cases are hard cases, then the topbox might be better insulated from vibration, especially if the bottom is lined with a good shock-absorbing foam.

Due to the potential damage from road and bike vibrations, I'm more inclined to carry a small camera in a coat pocket, since my body is also a sadly adequate shock absorber. For something like an SLR with interchangeable lenses, etc., the camera itself might fare best if carried in a backpack on your back. That would hopefully work for shorter jaunts.

You will get a lot of different answers on this.
IMHO it all depends on which bag is the strongest of the lot. Some riders have alu side cases with a plastic topcase, and I would put my camera's in the alu side case.
If it is a heavy bag, than down low would make more sense with respect to the CG of the bike.
Just my 0.02 cts :coffee

Helge Pedersen, of GlobeRiders fame put all his high-end digital gear in a sweet Ortlieb waterproof pack that strapped onto the back of his GS.

mike_namibia_dunes_banner.jpg

I am pretty sure that bag is on the back of the bike in this picture. (is that a sweet pic, or what? Makes me want to quit my job and run away from home...)

It is a backpack, and here is the product info.

Looked like a good spot for the gear to me. It's where I always carried my stuff, too, before the days of small digital cameras that fit in the tank bag. You get the benefit of the bike's suspension, and it's pretty well protected from the elements, at least while you're in motion.

Ian

deanzat said:
If you were carrying a well-padded bag full of valuable photographic equipment, would you put it in a saddlebag or the topbox? Why?

Thanks, DZ
I would not put it in a saddle bag or top case because those are known to fall off. :cry

I would but it in a tang bag.

Tankbag was not an option listed; however, that is where I carry my camera gear. That gear ranges between a digital camera and an SLR depending on the reason for the trip. In either case they are in a paded case and then carried in the tankbag.

Reasons:
Ease ofaccess to the equiptment: It does not require I dismount and dig to get to it. If I dismount it is also very easy to get at the equipment.

Security: I can easily take a tankbag with me and keep the valuable equipment with me. I only leave unattended on the bike that which I am willing to have stollen.

In looking at the answers keep in mind to compare apples to apples in how the bikes are set up. I ride a naked R1150R. I use system cases 90% of the travel time and soft sided bags the rest of the travel time. I do not have a topcase.

Finally in my experience, in my mind I have never solved all my bikes carrying or other issues until six months after I sold it. Good Luck.

I carry mine in a tank bag, but it is just a small one. If the choice is between side-opening side cases, like the BMW System Cases, and a top-opening top case, I would go with the top case. If you have side cases that are top-opening, then I would stick with the packing principle which is to put as much weight as far down and forward as possible.

Ride safe.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got a Nikon D70 digital SLR and a lot of lenses. I don't have to carry everything everywhere, but sometimes I do. ;-)

I know I could spend $500 and get a very high quality pocket digital, but I've already spent a fortune on Motorcycle and Camera gear, and want to use what I've already got. I've got BMW system bags and an older BMW top box.

I was thinking I'd put my Tamrac Velocity 9 or Adorama Slinger in the top box and then just park, sling it over my shoulder and go. But for a lot of rides I could just wear it. I could also cargo-net it to the pillion. Guess I'll have to experiment. Either way, I think I'll be foaming up the top box for extra vibration reduction.

Thanks again! DZ

I know quite a few photgraphers who carry their camera in their right hand saddlebag/system case no problem. I have a Canon Elph that I put in my tank bag, no problem. My other electronics go in the right hand case. The reason it is the right... no exhaust.

That's good! I like the idea of carrying it lower. I carried a briefcase and computer in the topcase this afternoon and although it was no problem, it was a psychological problem! I kept thinking, "you'd put a person back there, why are you freaking out?" But I didn't have a good answer. I know I'd feel better with the gear in the right bag. It seems extremely sturdy.

Thanks, DZ

Tripod me...

On a related topic...do many of you folks carry tripods? You know those very small compact ones, if so what brand/cost? I was looking around for one so I can take cool token bike posses on my solo rides that will fit my Nikon Coolpix S1 (guess most will work....standard 3/8" screw hole on bottom). Ebay has a bunch but unsure of the quality of the no-name brands out there. Figure a tripod is easier than finding a riding buddy to take the picture (though I could stand to find me a Miss. riding buddy :))

andy45320 said:
On a related topic...do many of you folks carry tripods? You know those very small compact ones, if so what brand/cost? I was looking around for one so I can take cool token bike posses on my solo rides that will fit my Nikon Coolpix S1 (guess most will work....standard 3/8" screw hole on bottom). Ebay has a bunch but unsure of the quality of the no-name brands out there. Figure a tripod is easier than finding a riding buddy to take the picture (though I could stand to find me a Miss. riding buddy :))

i have a little tripod i received as a gift. it's from REI, packs down small, and works fine.

I love this thing!

Andy - about 10 years ago, I found this little tripod sitting in the dirt at a motocross race:

9a_1_b.JPG

This thing is one of the most useful accessories I've ever had. It is really small, so you can always have it handy.

You can set it on nearly anything and easily level it up.

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc.

The only thing it doesn't have is extendible legs and I can't think of a time I have ever needed those.

Ian

I carry the small REI tripod and a colapsable walking stick with a top that can be taken off that reveils a mount so that it can be used as a stand.

Visan, your tripod looks interesting. Do you have mfg info?

I, too, use a Nikon D70 (wonderful camera!).

I have carried it all over in the top case of my R1150RT and of my R1200RT. I always keep the camera in a Lowepro TLZ1 padded case. Never have had a problem with this arrangement.

andy45320 said:
On a related topic...do many of you folks carry tripods?
I carry a Cullmann Magic 2 tripod. Not the highest quality tripod but reasonably stable and expands to a reasonable height. And best of all, folded down, it fits into a System Case.

Michael

Attachments

• CU2722.jpg
    CU2722.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 165
guess most will work....standard 3/8" screw hole on bottom
Standard tripod thread is 1/4-20, which is also a common screw size at Home Depot. Useful info if you should ever lose the mounting screw.

Don't Panic... where's your towel.....

I've gone 10+k miles with the DCam (Fuji FinePix 4900) and the VCam (Sony H8 camcorder) in the top case of my LTX without issue. I wrap them in: each a hand towel, both in my rain suit. If I need the rain suit, I grab clothes & rebuffer them. Ease of access & minimized vibration, but I'll yield that 10k is a pittance. I run the small (21L?) top case. <<<)))

Visian said:
Andy - about 10 years ago, I found this little tripod sitting in the dirt at a motocross race:

9a_1_b.JPG

This thing is one of the most useful accessories I've ever had. It is really small, so you can always have it handy.

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc.

The only thing it doesn't have is extendible legs and I can't think of a time I have ever needed those.

Ian

I want one. Before I start digging in the dirt, any idea who makes it or where to find it?

Tripods revisited. . .

ANDY45320 said:
. . .do many of you folks carry tripods? You know those very small compact ones, if so what brand/cost? I was looking around for one so I can take cool token bike posses on my solo rides that will fit my Nikon Coolpix S1. . .

Visian said:

9a_1_b.JPG

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc. . . Ian

knary said:
I want one. Before I start digging in the dirt, any idea who makes it or where to find it?
This might be your guy, the Ambico V-6016 flexible mini - cheap price too!

Another neat item is this one . You got a water bottle or a pop bottle, switch to this cap and you got an immediate tabletop camera support. Might be a neat little gadget to have in the Beer Tent for taking those incriminating group photos we all love to see here on The Forum weeks after the event!

Good luck! :wave

Last edited:
Back