Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: headlight issues

headlight issues

Has anyone on this forum experienced problems with the headlight reflectors burning or discoloring or flaking off on the 650/700/800 GS models?
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    The biggest mistake people make... is thinking they have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    Has anyone on this forum experienced problems with the headlight reflectors burning or discoloring or flaking off on the 650/700/800 GS models?
    Certainly not on my ST.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Yes; I have a new headlight on the shelf for a local F650 twin with a burnt lens.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Yes!

The high beam reflector on my 2011 F650GS is burned and the lens fogged and the low beam lens is fogging. This is fairly common on the GS bikes. There are a couple of threads on this over on advrider. BMW quietly switched suppliers from CEV to Hella. There are photos illustrating the external differences. Here in Canada a new assembly would be well over $500. BMW says too bad. I am going to do a DIY replacement using Hella 90mm halogen units. Requires some improvisation and fabrication.

Mike
    Last edited by RadioFlyer; 03-27-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It would be nice to have a DIY on this.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It would be nice to have a DIY on this.
    OM
    One fellow posted a F800R conversion over on F800Riders.org.

I have yet to find any others.

I won't be getting to my own for quite some time yet. While I have the lamps picked out, the real work is in coming up with a decent housing and mounting scheme and to a lesser extent a way to cleanly plug into the existing connector on the wiring harness since I would rather not butcher it.

I'll try to post what I come up with.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    I'll try to post what I come up with.

Mike
    Thanks! Whatever it takes
    It might be nice to know which years are affected (from when to when). That may get more members interested in some ideas for fixin".
    My '09 (still snow-bound) was good last I noticed I usually run with the high beam on (daylight) for visibility.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

As near as I can tell reading the advrider threads the Hella got introduced in 2014.

Like you I run high beam during the day.

Both beams are affected though. Lots of photos around.

This issue is a major source of disappointment in the BMW brand. They should really own up to the problem.

Mike

Great, thanks.
    When I get a minute I am going to start a bit of an index here, sorta like the one in the Wethead area..........Sorta like what Wildman did in the parallel universe.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

While it will take me a while to get to the project here is a link to the Hella units I plan to install in case anyone is interested.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-90m...n-dot-sae.html

Mike

That is a great site Mike. Your link sorta drops you in to a middle spot so I looked around a bit. It looks like it has a fine selection of relays, wire, harnesses and specialty switching
    I would have to see the lights you have chosen "in person" to figure a mounting system. I do think I have seen them, as they suggest, on "non standard" vehicles like motorhomes.
    It will be good to see how you do the mount-up.
    http://www.rallylights.com/all
    Thanks!
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Headlight Safety issue

By the number of bikes with "fogging" of the headlights looks like we should be notifying our respective government departments of transportation pointing out that this is a safety issue. Perhaps BMW Motorad will own up to their poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by russel roode View Post
    By the number of bikes with "fogging" of the headlights looks like we should be notifying our respective government departments of transportation pointing out that this is a safety issue. Perhaps BMW Motorad will own up to their poor quality.
    I agree and have done so.

My fellow Canadians may do likewise here:
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Quote Originally Posted by russel roode View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Stay tuned! Any questions, just ask.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

There are threads about failing F reflectors all over the web. See F800riders, for example. Issue appears to be heat related.

One way to try to extend life of the older types is reduce heat by going HID (35W ballasts). Just use good bulbs that don't pump out excess UV- the coatings on the old reflectors are poor and nothing kills bad plastics faster than lots of UV.