• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

By the number of bikes with "fogging" of the headlights looks like we should be notifying our respective government departments of transportation pointing out that this is a safety issue. Perhaps BMW Motorad will own up to their poor quality.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!! Give em hell!:ca

There are threads about failing F reflectors all over the web. See F800riders, for example. Issue appears to be heat related.

One way to try to extend life of the older types is reduce heat by going HID (35W ballasts). Just use good bulbs that don't pump out excess UV- the coatings on the old reflectors are poor and nothing kills bad plastics faster than lots of UV.

I went to cyclops h7 LED 25 watt lite and my fogging started to clear up.

I went to cyclops h7 LED 25 watt lite and my fogging started to clear up.

Thanks for the feedback so far no issues with fogging or heat related. Have about a thousand miles on the lights now but it is still cold outside, so that may be a contributing factor. Guess I'll have to wait for some warmer weather to see how they affect the housing.

If you bike's headlight is a Hella then you have the improved design. It was the original CEV headlights that had the problem.

From what I can find out, it looks like the Hella improvement didn't come out until the 014 model year, so I might have to keep an eye out for a replacement on ebay for in the future...

From what I can find out, it looks like the Hella improvement didn't come out until the 014 model year, so I might have to keep an eye out for a replacement on ebay for in the future...

Going through some old posts and remembered I'd posted to this one a couple of times. Fast forward to 2018, with over 40000 miles on the Cyclops LED lamps and no issues of heat or headlamp deterioration during that time. Sold the with the lamps still running strong and nary a problem, especially that pesky 5000 mile interval where they always seemed to burn out one day into a long tour.......Thought folks might like a real world update for a great product.

Back