• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Texpaul

Lost again
Has anyone on this forum experienced problems with the headlight reflectors burning or discoloring or flaking off on the 650/700/800 GS models?

Yes!

The high beam reflector on my 2011 F650GS is burned and the lens fogged and the low beam lens is fogging. This is fairly common on the GS bikes. There are a couple of threads on this over on advrider. BMW quietly switched suppliers from CEV to Hella. There are photos illustrating the external differences. Here in Canada a new assembly would be well over $500. BMW says too bad. I am going to do a DIY replacement using Hella 90mm halogen units. Requires some improvisation and fabrication.

Mike

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a DIY on this.
OM

One fellow posted a F800R conversion over on F800Riders.org.

I have yet to find any others.

I won't be getting to my own for quite some time yet. While I have the lamps picked out, the real work is in coming up with a decent housing and mounting scheme and to a lesser extent a way to cleanly plug into the existing connector on the wiring harness since I would rather not butcher it.

I'll try to post what I come up with.

Mike

I'll try to post what I come up with.

Mike
Thanks! Whatever it takes :thumb
It might be nice to know which years are affected (from when to when). That may get more members interested in some ideas for fixin".
My '09 (still snow-bound) was good last I noticed :D I usually run with the high beam on (daylight) for visibility.
Gary

As near as I can tell reading the advrider threads the Hella got introduced in 2014.

Like you I run high beam during the day.

Both beams are affected though. Lots of photos around.

This issue is a major source of disappointment in the BMW brand. They should really own up to the problem.

Mike

Great, thanks.
When I get a minute I am going to start a bit of an index here, sorta like the one in the Wethead area..........Sorta like what Wildman did in the parallel universe.
Gary

That is a great site Mike. Your link sorta drops you in to a middle spot so I looked around a bit. It looks like it has a fine selection of relays, wire, harnesses and specialty switching :thumb
I would have to see the lights you have chosen "in person" to figure a mounting system. I do think I have seen them, as they suggest, on "non standard" vehicles like motorhomes.
It will be good to see how you do the mount-up.
http://www.rallylights.com/all
Thanks!
OM

Headlight Safety issue

By the number of bikes with "fogging" of the headlights looks like we should be notifying our respective government departments of transportation pointing out that this is a safety issue. Perhaps BMW Motorad will own up to their poor quality.

By the number of bikes with "fogging" of the headlights looks like we should be notifying our respective government departments of transportation pointing out that this is a safety issue. Perhaps BMW Motorad will own up to their poor quality.
Welcome to the forum!
Stay tuned! Any questions, just ask.
Gary

There are threads about failing F reflectors all over the web. See F800riders, for example. Issue appears to be heat related.

One way to try to extend life of the older types is reduce heat by going HID (35W ballasts). Just use good bulbs that don't pump out excess UV- the coatings on the old reflectors are poor and nothing kills bad plastics faster than lots of UV.

So far, so good for my 2013 F700GS.

I brought it home, new, on Oct. 22, 2013 so it has seen two riding seasons, now.

It did have the tank crack but this was replaced under warranty by my dealer.

After two seasons, I still love this bike :)

Back