• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GTL tires and generalities

beemerdude

Beemerdude
1: I am starting to study replacement tires for my 2014 GTL. The OE MEZ8s have about 5K on them and while showing some strange wear patterns look like they might some miles in them yet.
The majority of my riding is 2 up loaded and moderately aggressive.

2: Does anyone have a recommendation for a bag that fits on the Wunderlich GTL luggage rack?

I'm using Michelin PR 4 GT and I'm pretty happy. I went through 4 sets of PR3's and they were good to. Be careful with those Z8's as they will show cords very unexpectedly

Have a good one,
Dave

1: I am starting to study replacement tires for my 2014 GTL. The OE MEZ8s have about 5K on them and while showing some strange wear patterns look like they might some miles in them yet.

2: Does anyone have a recommendation for a bag that fits on the Wunderlich GTL luggage rack?

1: As said before be very careful of those original MEZ8s. They wear from "ok" to full cords showing in less than 100 miles. It sounds like you should be replacing them sooner rather than later from your description. I've used both the Pr3-B spec and the PR4GT. I actually have a PR3-B on right now since the last time I needed a replacement, my tire guy couldn't get the PR4s again due to backorders. I can say the PR4 was great in 2" of wet slush, in the snow, with my wife, Tobi, and pulling a trailer through the Colorado Passes last May.

2: Since Tobi's seat mounts where my Top-Box would mount, I don't have a need for a luggage rack. In fact my top box hasn't seen the light of day for over a year now.

The OEM Metzler tires are junk. My wife and I were in Wawa, ON when we seen steel on the rear tire. They had less than 5000 miles. You can Imagine the adventure trying to get tires up in that country. We finally got a set of Michelin PR GT4's. They have over 12000 miles on them and 15000 won't be a problem.
We bought a case from RKA. Fits good, looks good and holds a lot of extra "junk".

The OEM Metzler tires are junk. My wife and I were in Wawa, ON when we seen steel on the rear tire. They had less than 5000 miles. You can Imagine the adventure trying to get tires up in that country. We finally got a set of Michelin PR GT4's. They have over 12000 miles on them and 15000 won't be a problem.
We bought a case from RKA. Fits good, looks good and holds a lot of extra "junk".

You wouldn't happen to know the model or P/N of the bag?

Replacement Tires

I replaced the OE tires on my 2014 K1600GT at about 8000 mi. My riding pattern is similar to yours. I put Michelin PR 4 GT on my bike and I am pleased with the handling. Great on the corners and great in the rain. With only about 1000 miles on the tires, I cannot comment on their mileage but the handling of the bike is excellent. I suspect these will be the next set of tires for my bike. I would give them two thumbs up. Dennis

Metz Z08

I realize this is a late submittal and you have probably replaced your POS Metz Z08s. However, just in case someone else is at the same decision point. I was 300 miles from completing a 4500 mile trip when my Metzs gave out. Rear tire was worn down to the metal bands in several places. No wear bars were observed and thank goodness for BMW's tire pressure alert. Left stranded on the Interstate. No more Metz for me.

Back