• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alberta & BC in the fall

windancer

Wife and I had plans to take 10 days or so to cruise up from home in Montana, and mosey around the mountains to Jasper and back down through Kamloops. We'd planned to go after Labor Day to cut down on the tourist traffic. But, as plans often do, things changed, and we can't do the trip in September. The question is--how chancy is the weather likely to be after the first of October, when we can finally get away? Lived all my life in Montana, and I'm a little leery of what Momma Nature can bring that late. I've seen enough here through the years that it wouldn't be unheard of to hit some really bad weather, and end up storing the bikes somewhere up there through the winter, and finding our way home some other way.

Any thoughts?

Eric

I've ridden that area several times in the May thru August time frame. We've encounter below freezing temps in Jasper a few times. I would not chance it in October.

In BC, We ride in the Valley bottoms in to late October but it can be very cold. Jasper in late October is a risk at best.

Thanks Guys

I'm thinking that north is the wrong direction to be going in October. Maybe have to move the trip up to August instead.

Eric

Here's a Jasper October weather summary for you:

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Alberta/Places/jasper-temperatures-by-month-average.php

As you can see, in October it's starting to get frosty. If you do decide to go in August, you might not have as much traffic in the last two weeks, as in the earlier summertime. Avoid the Trans Canada Highway if you can.

Some years ago, we did an October run in my wife's 300 SL. We hit snow at the summit of the Salmo Creston pass. Later, we crossed the Oregon high desert with the top down and the heater on. It was exhilarating.

Last edited:
Thanks--that's the weather synopsis we need. Conclusive evidence that, absent being able to put the top up and the heater on, October would be a bad idea. But late August remains a possibility--if we go, we'll dredge this thread out of the archives, and give a report.

Eric

Back