• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Wheel Removal

E

ERIC1514

I'm taking the wheel off my K75c tomorrow morning so I can have a new tire installed. This is the first time I 've done this so please critique my method.

1) Put bike on centerstand.
2) Place scissor jack and piece of wood under oil pan.
3) Raise jack and hopefully bike will rotate back onto rear wheel.
4) Remove calipers, etc. This part I got covered with Clymers.
5) Mark caliper on one side as to right or left and rotation with Magic Marker.

Sound about right?

TIA,
Eric

You're going to need to push to brake pistons back into the caliper bodies. I carefully use a long handled screwdriver to push 'em over. Try not to use the rotor too much as a leverage point or you stand a good chance of bending it.

I also try to remember to suck a bit of brake fluid out of the MC and leave the cap loose to give the incoming fluid someplace to go.

Steve

You'll do just fine. Just remember, after putting the wheel and calipers back on, PUMP UP THE BRAKES! Otherwise that first attempted stop will be memorable.

Eric
After you jack up the front wheel to just clear the ground. Push back the brake pads, remove the calipers, pull the axle and you will have to jack up the front wheel some more to allow the wheel to clear the front fender and roll it out.
Bruce C :)

Morning,

One more question. Do I need to bring the axle with me to the shop that is going to install the tire so that they can balance the wheel?

Eric

Eric1514 said:
Morning,

One more question. Do I need to bring the axle with me to the shop that is going to install the tire so that they can balance the wheel?

Eric

Nope, they should have something there to use. If they are any kind of shop.

Eric1514 said:
I'm taking the wheel off my K75c ....
4) Remove calipers, etc. This part I got covered with Clymers.
5) Mark caliper on one side as to right or left and rotation with Magic Marker.
Eric

When you say "remove the calipers", I hope you mean only to unbolt the calipers from the fork tubes. The brake lines can be left intact with the calipers supported with wire ties to anything convenient. I don't see any reason to mark them right and left and there is no reason to push the pads back.

breyfogle said:
When you say "remove the calipers", I hope you mean only to unbolt the calipers from the fork tubes. The brake lines can be left intact with the calipers supported with wire ties to anything convenient. I don't see any reason to mark them right and left and there is no reason to push the pads back.

Yeah, there's no reason to open the hydraulic system on the bike at all here. Just unbolt them with those two big bolts and slide them off the rotors and out of the way.

Be sure to suspend the calipers with a coat hanger or bungee or something so the brake lines aren't under any kind of strain.

Done! Thanks to all for your replys. New tire looks nice.

Eric

P.S. Yeah, I unbolted the calipers from the forks and shoved a cedar wedge between the pads to both open them a tad and as a safeguard against accidentally grabbing the brake lever.

Another consideration

I pull my rotors when I change tires (I do'em myself), and you DO want to mark them to stay same side. I've found I can open the calipers a little by "rolling" them on the rotor towards the axle. G.H....<<<)))

Back