Thread: k75 fuel lights purpose and sender unit ohms?

JohnWC

k75 fuel lights purpose and sender unit ohms?

I have a 92 k75 that I am trying to resurrect. Gas left in the tank 1/2 full for four years. I have the sender unit out and cleaned it up as best I could. I used acetone on the wire wrappings and got a lot of red off that. I don't know if that is wire insulation or just old gas coating. Has anyone put an ohm meter on these little guys? Should there be a reading all across the range as the lever goes across the wire wrappings. Mine seems to show zero continuity up to about half way across, then it is a bit skittish till the end but it is always near the o ohms reading, not graduated. It is zero ohms, or full continuity when the ball would be all the way down in the tank. Second question, related to that: what is the purpose of the two lights on the dash pod? The right is for low fuel I gather, which would indicate my sender might still be usable, but what is the purpose of the left light? The owner's manual only talks about the low fuel side, nothing about the other light. It's there, so I thought it might have a purpose. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    I have a 92 k75 that I am trying to resurrect. Gas left in the tank 1/2 full for four years. I have the sender unit out and cleaned it up as best I could. I used acetone on the wire wrappings and got a lot of red off that. I don't know if that is wire insulation or just old gas coating. Has anyone put an ohm meter on these little guys? Should there be a reading all across the range as the lever goes across the wire wrappings. Mine seems to show zero continuity up to about half way across, then it is a bit skittish till the end but it is always near the o ohms reading, not graduated. It is zero ohms, or full continuity when the ball would be all the way down in the tank. Second question, related to that: what is the purpose of the two lights on the dash pod? The right is for low fuel I gather, which would indicate my sender might still be usable, but what is the purpose of the left light? The owner's manual only talks about the low fuel side, nothing about the other light. It's there, so I thought it might have a purpose. Thanks.
    The earliest K100 bikes had two fuel lights - one amber, one red. Yellow with some gas left - red for less gas left. I forget the statistics. The system was driven by a fuel strip and was a horrible failure. The yellow light was totally erratic. You could fill the tank and have the yellow light come on pulling out of the station.
    As far as I know on K75s the second light lens has no bulb and doesn't signal anything.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Second question, related to that: what is the purpose of the two lights on the dash pod? The right is for low fuel I gather, which would indicate my sender might still be usable, but what is the purpose of the left light? The owner's manual only talks about the low fuel side, nothing about the other light. It's there, so I thought it might have a purpose. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The left light is for ABS- if equipped.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

3 Red Bricks
    Unless you are planning on running the optional fuel guage, the ohm reading from the rheostat is not important.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....l-Early-Kbikes

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare