Thread: Post a picture of your oilhead

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    In the rain or the shadow?
    Definitely in the rain.
    Bill Johnston

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Definitely in the rain.
    I've gone up and down the Hood Canal getting to California twice this year. Very sweet ride. Not sure about where you are but up here in the Land of S's , we've had one shower since the middle of June.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I've gone up and down the Hood Canal getting to California twice this year. Very sweet ride. Not sure about where you are but up here in the Land of S's , we've had one shower since the middle of June.
    Next time you're on 101 at Brinnon, look due east across the Canal. I'll be waving as you go past.

Depending which hydrologic map you look at, annually we get 55-60 inches of rainfall. It's been a VERY dry summer here too.

Still liking your new S?

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Left Coast Rider

Still liking your new S?
    Obviously a very different bike than the R, its great for getting from A to B in the shortest amount of time. But somehow, I don't feel like I'm riding a BMW.

It's always raining in the shadows out here--at least in the winter! We ain't seen no dang rain for more'n two months in these here parts. That's why they're burnin' up!
    “A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness.” T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
    It's always raining in the shadows out here--at least in the winter! We ain't seen no dang rain for more'n two months in these here parts. That's why they're burnin' up!
    King 5 news last night was talking about how there's a new Seattle record for continuous high temps over 70 degrees this summer. I believe it. Nice to have some clean air again, and it appears they're making headway on some of the big regional fires.

And yes, I miss my S.

PS. The S profits have been allocated to Rhine River Cruise next May. I'll get to cry my tears into some authentic German beer. 😂
    Bill Johnston

Short Thread Highjack

A slight diversion from our oilhead worship here, and to reinforce what SeabeckS said about the weather change . . .

I rode my airhead /5 down to Maupin Oregon this weekend for the annual Fireflight Rendezvous, and boy was it smoky. The first photo was taken last Thursday in Yakima Canyon, not all that far away (well, about 50 miles) from the Jolly Fire near Cle Elum. The smoke was so thick I couldn't even see out of the canyon.

[IMG][/IMG]

The second was taken Saturday afternoon just south of Maupin. A number of weather factors had cleared most of the low-hanging smoke out and I was thrilled to actually see the Mt Hood in the west--no way on Thursday or Friday. There's still a lot of haze in the photo, and that "cloud" just over the flyscreen, on the north slope of the mountain, is the fire. Currently it's burned more than 30,000 acres, is less than 10% contained, and reportedly was started by a teenager with fireworks, out for some fun and thrills. Don't know if that's the true, or the whole story, but its nauseating to think about.

[IMG][/IMG]
    “A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness.” T.E. Lawrence

Official report as of 12 hours ago, 33,382 acres with 7 per cent containment. The Eagle Creek fire actually jumped over the Columbia River a few days ago and caused the Archer Mountain fire of 250 acres in Washington. The weather shift has given the crews some relief as the fire is not making active runs. A fifteen year old boy from Vancouver was allegedly seen throwing a smoke bomb from a hiking trail. He's been "interviewed " but has not been arrested (yet).

I spent 18 years fighting fires in the Sierras, and still can't believe the stupidity of some people. It's not all a video game kids!

PS. The fire on the Okanagon is at 105,000 acres and has slowed down, for now.
    Bill Johnston

Official report as of 12 hours ago, 33,382 acres with 7 per cent containment. The Eagle Creek fire actually jumped over the Columbia River a few days ago and caused the Archer Mountain fire of 250 acres in Washington. The weather shift has given the crews some relief as the fire is not making active runs. A fifteen year old boy from Vancouver was allegedly seen throwing a smoke bomb from a hiking trail. He's been "interviewed " but has not been arrested (yet).

I spent 18 years fighting fires in the Sierras, and still can't believe the stupidity of some people. It's not all a video game kids!

PS. The fire on the Okanagon is at 105,000 acres and has slowed down, for now.
    Fire or flooding..........Repeat, as necessary, to keep the local economies humming. If you try to stop people from building in these areas, your political career will be soon over.
    Last edited by 36654; 09-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

King 5 news last night was talking about how there's a new Seattle record for continuous high temps over 70 degrees this summer. I believe it. Nice to have some clean air again, and it appears they're making headway on some of the big regional fires.

And yes, I miss my S.

PS. The S profits have been allocated to Rhine River Cruise next May. I'll get to cry my tears into some authentic German beer. 😂
    Which cruise line? My sister and bro-in-law are considering one of these cruises.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Which cruise line? My sister and bro-in-law are considering one of these cruises.
    After much deliberation we signed with Viking. Which seems appropriate since we're also picking up a new Volvo at the factory as part of the excursion. (We also did a lot of research, the top rated cruise lines are Uniworld, AmaWaterways, and Viking. Recommend getting their free brochures and the Berlitz Publishing "River Cruising in Europe".)

Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    It comes in such a small box and has a bunch of pipes, springs, bolts and is a little sparse on instructions but the end result is well worth the effort to install.
    Beautiful……may I ask where you got the license plate holder?

jimmy armour

a wee ride out

took a wee ride out on my new to me 2000r1100rt ,great day to ride to point clark light house lake huron ontario, then 004.jpgimage3.jpgimage1.JPGback home to drive the school bus ,what a life Jimmy

jimmy armour

wrong pictures

sorry will try again002.jpg

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Jim, as a fellow R1100RT rider (mines also a Y2K) it does my heart good to see these 'classic' oilers on the road.

No longer the sleekest, nor by any stretch the fastest of BMW's tourers, but - in my eyes - still iconic. Keep her well tuned with good rubber under her and I think you'll find that she does you proud.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: '85 K100RT, '80 Yamaha XS850, '67 Triumph Bonnie, '66 Honda 90 Scrambler