• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Need more warm and sun, but...

Don't get me going on "warm and sun" as I am sure it is a heck of a lot warmer in Boston than it is up in this wasteland. I was out for a ride long enough to warm up the final drive lubes for a lube change last week.

Having come back from the Gold Coast in Australia where they get the 2nd most sunny days per year (Rio de Janeiro apparently is #1), I joke about us getting the 2nd most cloudy days a year.

So....

Anyone else getting at it? [show us your pics please, work is... work :blah]

Attachments

• VT.capitol.r1100s.jpg
    VT.capitol.r1100s.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 158
A couple just emailed me looking for places to go and they only have 3 days on the island!

Spring means out looking for icebergs or in this case bergy bits.:ha
IMG_8114-XL.jpg

I NEVER do George St, there are 1 or 2 other places I will go for a beer and that's pretty rare.

I sent them a few ideas for the south west corner.

I NEVER do George St, there are 1 or 2 other places I will go for a beer and that's pretty rare.

Well I have never been to that end of NL but I heard about George Street. I like my beer and I get plenty of it in Germany and Austria when I tour there every summer. Here I'll get some Euro beers as along as they are in a glass bottle like Polish Lezajsk. I do not drink beer out of aluminum cans (barf).

I sent them a few ideas for the south west corner.

I took time off work without pay since I used all my annual vacation in the Alps two months earlier and just did the run from Port aus Basques to St. Anthony with overnights in Stephenville (US AF base), Flowers Cove and Englee. About 4 days in NL with a return via the Trans Labrador Highway from Saint Barbe - ferry - Blanc Sablon - Cartwright - ferry - HVGB - Baie Comeau. Love the remoteness.

Could easily spend a month in NL.

Finally got to stretch out the Sad Oilhead's legs a bit -- rode to Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, and back in one day for a 331-mile round trip. We even got to take a ferry across the Ohio river.

IMG_20230628_1701373.jpg
IMG_20230628_2013260.jpg

Finally got to stretch out the Sad Oilhead's legs a bit -- rode to Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, and back in one day for a 331-mile round trip. We even got to take a ferry across the Ohio river.
Ferries are fun!!!
I never thought to just strap my garage toolbox along for the ride!

View attachment 92338
View attachment 92339

I ferried my R1200RT across from Denmark to Norway and back again 2 round trips in '16. One trip was a over night from Oslo to Copenhagen. Then I ferried many times in Norway. Their roads have many ferries and many tunnels. In fact they have the longest tunnel in the world at that time.

A colour-matched-to-the-bike toolbox! You got it goin' on! :beer

Edit: And someone was kind enough to match that outhouse the same colour, too! You must be well known around those parts. :laugh

Ferries are fun!!!
I never thought to just strap my garage toolbox along for the ride!

I was riding up there to do a full carburetor(s) rebuild for a client on his Kawasaki Voyager XII, so I brought along my toolbox. Fortunately enough that vintage toolbox matches the bike!

Nice to get a perfect match for a decent price! My buddy did the repaint to match the one he repainted a month ago.
IMG_8413-XL.jpg

Good to go just waiting on a new front tire.

Coming & going

Here are a couple of me & my new to me 04 R1150RT which I've put 4500 miles on since June 2. I was travelling from MA to Athens, GA for a meeting & detoured into western NC for a few runs on the dragon. Travelled from VA on the Blue Ridge Pkwy then hopped off it after getting a velocity warning just before the NC border. Made my way over to 421 & then on to Asheville as it began raining. Rode out to the dragon for an afternoon & then down to Athens for work. Rode the entire BRP on the way back(except for a short detour). I just completed my first 6k service including valve adjustment & TB synch. I installed an AF-XieD & matched new style injectors at the same time & wow, the bike is riding dramatically better. No more herky jerky, snatchy throttle reaction from the machine now. It feels like a well sorted air cooled twin should -smooootth running with smooooth power delivery from about 2500rpm. Anyway, hope you like the pics!

4079994.jpg

4079998.jpg

Here are a couple of me & my new to me 04 R1150RT which I've put 4500 miles on since June 2. I was travelling from MA to Athens, GA for a meeting & detoured into western NC for a few runs on the dragon. Travelled from VA on the Blue Ridge Pkwy then hopped off it after getting a velocity warning just before the NC border. Made my way over to 421 & then on to Asheville as it began raining. Rode out to the dragon for an afternoon & then down to Athens for work. Rode the entire BRP on the way back(except for a short detour). I just completed my first 6k service including valve adjustment & TB synch. I installed an AF-XieD & matched new style injectors at the same time & wow, the bike is riding dramatically better. No more herky jerky, snatchy throttle reaction from the machine now. It feels like a well sorted air cooled twin should -smooootth running with smooooth power delivery from about 2500rpm. Anyway, hope you like the pics!

This is fantastic, I"m so glad that someone has been racking up the miles this season... it has certainly not been me! The bike and gear look amazing and man those roads are on my hit list; rode the BRP and surrounding a good deal as a yout living in DC.. but it's been a while.

Hopefully my supernatural power to make it rain by planning to get the bike out will fail me this weekend.

You were smart to get out of NE... it's been a wash of a year!

Back