• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

I had lots of fun in Vermont
1ef4c51057be7da151d69eea40e03307.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Wow! Odd to see a GS covered in mud, dirt, dust. Most I see are cleaner than my street bike.:scratch:thumb

Simply because there are hardly any "standard" motorcycles anymore and many use a GS as a touring bike, especially those that are tall. I personally hate lots of Tupperware covering a nice motorcycle. And once you've been on a 250 pound off-road motorcycle, 600 pounds just doesn't cut it. :D

Makes my day

It makes my day that it's not a Starbucks ride. Maybe djohnson can visit one and place small sign on his treasure explaining his route to Starbucks was what the GS line was made for.

Starbucks Ride

I've got my Honda to go up to get my Americanonitropumkinmoachapeppermintsteamedvanillacreamfrappuccino. :drink

that was only an hour in

That was still pretty clean, it was early in the day. Thanks to all of the people who helped me pick it up along the way. Thanks to Max BMW for putting on a great event in Chester, VT20211001_144337.jpg20211001_144337.jpg

R850R - my first Boxer

Here is the 96 R850R I purchased just over one year ago. I haven't had any chances to take it on a long tour yet but hope to do so this spring and summer.

Be well, ride safely.
DSC_9473.jpg

Two nice Roadster’s!
H’s first 1100 was red, now black. And she still has her black 1150, still her fave.

Similar Issue on my 2000 1150GS?

Trying to get back on the road, parts ordered
afa5ce681d8e5b3092df62d7e59bf683.jpg

Hi DJohnson81,

Looks like you might be addressing similar issue that I’m about to dive into. I’m getting some false neutrals shifting from 2nd up to 3rd. Could point to clutch disc / Input shaft splines??
I’m in NorCal and trying to find good independent mechanic not BMW dealer as this will be a big tear down I assume on the level you have pictured here?

Looking for any suggestions, tips etc. Craig Harris videos on YouTube have been super informative on this area. I have a lift table etc. But am still learning to wrench on my bike and not sure if I should dive this deep just yet?

Craig Harris also points out notorious failure of this Clutch disc to Input shaft splines due to design flaw where clutch disc does not sit flush all the back on the splines. Instead only engaging 70% of the splines. He used to have custom disc plates made that would engage the splines fully.

He also speaks about how bikes that have been ridden super hard often have far less wear on the splines, vs those who putter around babying it in Taller gears / lower RPMs. To this point he mentions not going to 6th gear until at least 75mph as 6th is so overgeared it can accelerate the spline strain quickly if using 6th at lower RPMs. Interesting.

Any tips/suggestions/feedback much appreciated. What is the issue you are addressing?
My 2000 1150 GS has been exquisitely maintained, but no spline lube/maintenance performed. Bike has 65k now.

All the best,
Will

Back