• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

This bike is new to me since last August so I'm not sure if it's OEM or not. The previous owner did not say anything about the seat. Apparently it has an aftermarket exhaust but it doesn't look like anything special.

The seating position is much different than my LS or my KTM's which is part of it. Either way my ass was happy even if my old hips complained from time to time. Makes me think that a 250 km range is ok.

That's great! I've had a couple of 600+ mile days on my S bike, with 400+ being pretty easy on my aging body. They're great travel bikes once you learn the secret of how to lean forward and rest your elbow on the tank bag during those long straight stretches of road.

They sure purr sweetly at those big highway speeds. And those Nova Scotia twisties would be a real hoot.

I'm in Newfoundland but we have nice curves too. When I get a little room in the budget I'm going to order new brake lines so I can put the bars above the triple clamp. That being said I was super happy on how the signal light pods kept the rain off of my hands in the rain. :)

The original owner of mine was in New Zealand. It came with the clip-on's above the triple clamp. I put Rabid Dog risers on it to lift them a bit more. No new cables were needed, though I did have to re-route a couple. Also lowered the foot pegs a bit.

Everybody's different; what's comfy for one isn't for another. One of many reasons bikes are so interesting. My S was the inspiration for the TE Lawrence quote in my signature.

I bought a pair of those bar backs too but the non ABS low bars need new brake lines. I saw some great looking adjustable footpads but at $500 CDN they can wait. A few minor tweaks will make this bike ultra comfortable for me. Still it's not bad so far on 500+ km days except my right hand going to sleep a bit.

I've avoided throttle locks since a friend woke up in the ditch after falling asleep with his throttle lock on. Times I've dozed off my hand would roll off the throttle and wake me up. I've never ridden a bike with cruise control.

I've avoided throttle locks since a friend woke up in the ditch after falling asleep with his throttle lock on. Times I've dozed off my hand would roll off the throttle and wake me up. I've never ridden a bike with cruise control.

I like that reasoning :thumb
OM

T'dah

It's my new best friend.

Appreciate the convo re bar risers... I do think that will be my first mod.

Also need to figure out how to address the mild stumble around 5k introduced by previous owner swapping off the OEM cat for an open midpipe.

Anyhoo…

:wave

bmw.r1100s.PNG

Also need to figure out how to address the mild stumble around 5k introduced by previous owner swapping off the OEM cat for an open midpipe.

Great looking bike and I especially like that colour. The mid-pipe wouldn't the cause of the stumble. Try cleaning all parts of the fuel injection system including the Big Brass Screws and orifices. Then add an AF-XIED.

Great looking bike and I especially like that colour. The mid-pipe wouldn't the cause of the stumble. Try cleaning all parts of the fuel injection system including the Big Brass Screws and orifices. Then add an AF-XIED.

Will do, thanks!

Your bike looks like it’s doing 150mph standing still; what year is it?

You meant mine? I sure think so. Thanks!

It's a 2001. Found it with only 17,500 on the clocks. If I told you what I [didn't] pay for it I think you might faint.

These r1100s bikes are such great bike for the buck right now.

I don't use mine much, but it's nice to be able to give my wrist a rest for a short while.

I agree. Won't be with out a cruise control or throttle lock.

I don't agree with the "falling asleep" argument. If you're that tired (and I've been there!) get off the bike and check into the Iron Butt Motel.

Some method of allowing you to move/rest/relax that right hand occasionally is really helpful.

I can't resist a crusty BMW bike

It is a lanai find, stored on a friends lanai along with a 1970 R 75/5 so at least they had good company with each other. First order of business was to get it running, battery and fresh gas got that covered but only as a single cylinder. I have since gotten the injectors serviced, runs nice and smooth and is a twin again and have jumped in with almost both feet for a nice refresh with a few enhancements. Oh I have really stepped in it this time, I've got a bunch of stuff going right now so I hope I don't over cook any of them.

Attachments

• Crusty gs 3.JPG
    Crusty gs 3.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Crusty gs 5.JPG
    Crusty gs 5.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 131
I’m sure it will work on all early Oilheads; R’s, RS’s, S’s, GS’s etc. Give that wrist a rest :whistle on those long rides.

Back