• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Right on the cusp of making the decision to sell my '04 R1100S and retire from riding.

Not an easy decision, to say the least. Started riding in 1963 in the desert country of NW Nevada on a Honda 250 Scrambler. Since then have owned a variety of bikes, Honda, Hodaka, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, and a couple of Beemers. My S is the top of the heap, very comfy with the addition of a Rick Mayer custom-fit seat, Rapid Dog barbacks. Has all the performance needed for a street bike, and though it's not a Duc, it handles really well. Frankly hits all the sweet spots for me. And, it's gorgeous, even if it's not Pathetic Blue (you know who you are...lol).

Last couple of years it's spent a lot of time sitting just gathering dust, while my street skills get more and more rust. I still enjoy riding it a few miles now and then, but I'm getting so rusty that it takes awhile to get truly relaxed, smooth and into the ride. Have a health issue or two, but nothing that truly precludes riding. Just don't seem to "find the time" (or energy) to ride nearly as much as I once did.

Sigh....tough decision. Perhaps especially after having a complete 24K service job (bike only has 20.5K on it), upgrading to Speigler brake lines with an ABS flush, new tires, and new Oddysey battery with in the last few months.

Man oh man...! :scratch

Plus! I won't be able to hassle those pesky RS guys any more!

View attachment 57656

Bill,

Back to your OP, I just spent a busy (ok, not busy exactly, but at least thoughtful) afternoon rearranging my garage and taking care of a few little things I'd been putting off for a while. Conditions were perfect for the project: a cool and breezy 97f (breezy thanks to my four fans; no thanks to the Gulf of Mexico for failing yet again to provide adequate ventilation to the neighborhood) and I must say I was totally successful, thanks mostly to my limited expectations for the project. Like you, I'm an old guy and I know how to pace myself. So yeah.

But I don't think I would have been able to complete all that difficult work if I hadn't been able to lean back against the beer refrigerator from time to time and gaze at my lovely S while I surveyed the project and considered my next move. While it is true that I don't ride the S very often, choosing instead one of the unnamed Pacific Rim scooters over in the corner for my lunch and grocery store runs, I really don't know how I would get by without the S parked right there whenever I "work" in the garage.

My eventual plan, to the extent that I have such a thing, is to one day deliver the S to my little boy Johnny Jr., who loves the bike and would take care of it just like I do, even though it would have to share a space with his collection of Harley-Davidsons and John Deeres. I haven't spoken to him about it yet, since his Mom has advised me not to hand it over to him since he's just a kid (ok, he's 52, but who's counting) and he might fall of of it and skin his elbow.

Fair enough and right as usual; so I guess I'll just keep the S right where it is for the time being.

Still not for sale though.

Johnny

Bill,

Back to your OP, I just spent a busy (ok, not busy exactly, but at least thoughtful) afternoon rearranging my garage and taking care of a few little things I'd been putting off for a while. Conditions were perfect for the project: a cool and breezy 97f (breezy thanks to my four fans; no thanks to the Gulf of Mexico for failing yet again to provide adequate ventilation to the neighborhood) and I must say I was totally successful, thanks mostly to my limited expectations for the project. Like you, I'm an old guy and I know how to pace myself. So yeah.

But I don't think I would have been able to complete all that difficult work if I hadn't been able to lean back against the beer refrigerator from time to time and gaze at my lovely S while I surveyed the project and considered my next move. While it is true that I don't ride the S very often, choosing instead one of the unnamed Pacific Rim scooters over in the corner for my lunch and grocery store runs, I really don't know how I would get by without the S parked right there whenever I "work" in the garage.

My eventual plan, to the extent that I have such a thing, is to one day deliver the S to my little boy Johnny Jr., who loves the bike and would take care of it just like I do, even though it would have to share a space with his collection of Harley-Davidsons and John Deeres. I haven't spoken to him about it yet, since his Mom has advised me not to hand it over to him since he's just a kid (ok, he's 52, but who's counting) and he might fall of of it and skin his elbow.

Fair enough and right as usual; so I guess I'll just keep the S right where it is for the time being.

Still not for sale though.

Johnny

Johnny,

Thanks your the long and thoughtful response. I do seem to be leaning towards keeping the S. After I sold my Duc SS/SP about 12 years ago, had some regrets related to the absent spot in the garage. If anything, I'm probably more attached than that to my S. Designing, permitting, building and finishing our new home took a lot of time and energy these last 3 years...so perhaps best to hold on through one more winter and start riding a lot again next spring. Probably not do anything longer than one day rides...but you never know!

I do know that I have problems with your description of 97 being "cool and breezy". :D

Cheers! Bill

PS. I also know I won't be riding to Prudhoe Bay like one of my "neighbors"!

A short "S" Ride

So SeabeckS and I took a little ride today; not long, maybe 179 miles total.

Not many bike shots either; guess we were both equally lazy. But here's one view from the picnic area near the Visitor's Center on Hurricane Ridge.

DSCF3218_zpsnofmdgee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The main parking area was quite crowded; by the time we went back through the main lot I don't think there was a single spot left. But just a mile down the road, a small paved single-lane track, the crowds all but disappeared. Quite nice.

Back in Port Angeles for a bit of lunch. Quite the primo parking spot.

DSCF3220%201_zpswgy4neyu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this sweet young lady was our server . . .

DSCF3221%201_zps8uaekegk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We got caught behind a really slow RV on the way up the Ridge. Coming down though, different story. We never went really fast at all, the road's signed for 35 mph and it's federally enforced (Olympic National Park), but they never told us we couldn't late apex and power out of the corners . . . Don't know about SeabeckS but I usually did slow back to the speed limit after having fun in the twisties . . . :dance

Fabulous day to enjoy the Olympics, the ride captain did a great job, especially going downhill without traffic. Though the captain was so far out in front, I don't think he could see my big grin. I did manage to reel him in a couple of times. Who needs brakes, just lean it!

It was a bit hazy from a few fires in the park...
image.jpg

I was in stealth mode, so I hid my bike in the shadows...
image.jpg

Cheers!:dance

PS. The poutine at the GastroPub in Port Angeles was mighty tasty! :)

So SeabeckS and I took a little ride today; not long, maybe 179 miles total.

You guys need to take another short ride up to Nakusp for our "local" rally next weekend. The inimitable Voni and Paul Glaves will be there along with David Hough and Don Hatton, a Dakar competitor. All are doing presentations. At 55 bucks (US) including free coffee and three great dinners, how can you say no? Plus, there ought to be at least two other S's there - one in that gorgeous Pacific Blue colour. :thumb

Hurricane riding

ORexpat,

We chatted a bit about lights today...thought I'd share a pic of the setup on my ex-R. A little OT perhaps, but on an iPad couldn't figure out how to attach a photo through PM link. Old age...lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You guys need to take another short ride up to Nakusp for our "local" rally next weekend. The inimitable Voni and Paul Glaves will be there along with David Hough and Don Hatton, a Dakar competitor. All are doing presentations. At 55 bucks (US) including free coffee and three great dinners, how can you say no? Plus, there ought to be at least two other S's there - one in that gorgeous Pacific Blue colour. :thumb

Do they serve poutine? :)

Short ride? 485 miles... So, what's a long ride? :dunno

We got caught behind a really slow RV on the way up the Ridge. Coming down though, different story. We never went really fast at all, the road's signed for 35 mph and it's federally enforced (Olympic National Park), but they never told us we couldn't late apex and power out of the corners . . . Don't know about SeabeckS but I usually did slow back to the speed limit after having fun in the twisties . . . :dance

But, officer, I could not have been going 70 miles per hour...I've only been riding for 10 minutes. :scratch

I'm gonna be there! Leaving Wednesday, overnight maybe at Swan Lake near Republic. With all those S-bikes there, the Dark Knight may have to lurk in the shadows.

And don't let SeabeckS tell you I was riding fast. Not really, at all. I was just practicing delayed apexing, especially in those left-hand turns with all the turkeys on their way up to the Ridge. Slow, slow slow, stay to the outside of that lane, wait to turn in until you can see through the curve . . . if there's turkeys there, keep the speed low . . . if it's open-well then, finish the lean and roll on! Woo Hoo! But I never let the speed get to high on the straights 'cause of the Federal citation that might await! Wanna keep my job and speeding tickets definitely wouldn't help! :whistle

Port Townsend Coffee Rides

Well, if Nakusp is a bridge too far for folks, SeabeckS and I intend to have a few informal treks up to Port Townsend to sample the local coffee shops over the fall and winter. Being the hippie/tourist/Victorian/blue collar/former seaport town that it is, there's quite a few. A straight shot up from where we live would be about 45 minutes. But I can stretch that to maybe an hour and a half of backroad sightseeing. Then take the quick way home . . .

Sometimes I'll take a half-growler (squealer??) with me in order to bring some fine barley water home with me. PT's had one good brewery for quite a while and I just noticed a second. I won't drink and then ride, but I've no issue with riding then sampling some of that nectar of the gods when I'm home.

Anyone else out there close enough to the Kitsap Peninsula to be game? We wouldn't make you ride an S-bike . . . or even a BMW!

Back