• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Ron,

One thing I enjoyed on the R was having the OEM sport screen, and a much larger Cee Bailey shield. The CB used the exact same mount as the sport shield, so it could be converted from one to the other in a few minutes. Had a Sargent seat, but in retrospect it wasn't huge improvement in comfort, but did look pretty nice. Few other doo-dads, the best being a pair of Hella FF-50's hung under the shrouds, excellent for night rides...

The S wasn't much of a fold...rode Ducati 900's for ten years, the S feels like a touring bike in comparison...:)

Cheers!:dance

It is obvious your bones & my bones disagree......:brow

I too had a 04' R1150R. Parabellum tall shield, bar backs, throttle control and factory bags. Love the the bike - Hated the brakes.:wave now with 07' F800ST

I can't stand the noisy things either...but one time in Indianapolis I do believe they saved my butt !

Diesel fuel ?? & rain....need I say more ?

I too had a 04' R1150R. Parabellum tall shield, bar backs, throttle control and factory bags. Love the the bike - Hated the brakes.:wave now with 07' F800ST

I'm thinking about a [sorta] cafe fairing, and a set of retro [top loading] bags. The bags will make it 6" narrower across the bags. When the hip is @ it's stiffest , that should make the leg-swing easier ?

Look at Parabellum cafe fairing. It sort like the old R90S style.Cool looking. Also yes did like ABS brakes but not the link part at slow speed ( 0-10 mph ). Eugene:wave

Somewhere I saw old retro bags ,I just got to remember where?

Or possibly just mount the City lids to the OEM bags, makes the cases really narrow. I've seen this mod, and believe there's a sort of quick change kit to facilitate changing the two styles of lids very easily.

Look at Parabellum cafe fairing. It sort like the old R90S style.Cool looking. Also yes did like ABS brakes but not the link part at slow speed ( 0-10 mph ). Eugene:wave

I recall that Rifle makes an attractive/aerodynamic small fairing that fits R bikes....

Or possibly just mount the City lids to the OEM bags, makes the cases really narrow. I've seen this mod, and believe there's a sort of quick change kit to facilitate changing the two styles of lids very easily.

I'v done this mod and to change back and forth between lids (if you need to) its just 4 bolts per lid. I travel light so the City Lids work for me. MUCH narrower and I don't find myself packing everything including the kitchen sink when I travel. :laugh

I'v done this mod and to change back and forth between lids (if you need to) its just 4 bolts per lid. I travel light so the City Lids work for me. MUCH narrower and I don't find myself packing everything including the kitchen sink when I travel. :laugh

Seem to recall there's an even wider set of lids available as well...just in case one needs to take the kitchen sink on their ride. Only saw them once, on an RT. Looked sort of like a two wheeled truck. :D

But they are not top lids.

True that!

But I've never seen any bags that mount to the BMW bags that are narrower than the City lids set up. Only other cases I've seen on a Beemer were Givi's (way wider than OEM) and Krauser's back in the day. Never saw any top loaders (other than some huge things on GS's) mounted on a BMW. :)

True that!

But I've never seen any bags that mount to the BMW bags that are narrower than the City lids set up. Only other cases I've seen on a Beemer were Givi's (way wider than OEM) and Krauser's back in the day. Never saw any top loaders (other than some huge things on GS's) mounted on a BMW. :)

Thought about the city lids but...then when I pack for a trip. I'm back to the same annoyance for ?? days / weeks. The ones I have are an older set of Bates bags. As I noted, top loading, not [as] wide,.. & roomy...and when mounted they will sit approx an inch & a half lower....they're just waiting on my lazy butt at this point.

One fairing I have is a Givi, the other is an older Shoei FM3.

To 71243 For narrow bags, top loading maybe try Shad or look at J.C. Whitney. Any way you go you will more than likely have to make your own mounting brackets for them.
One thing I did hear about,don't laugh, :laugh is to mount your bike from the right side. This does get your leg over wide bags.
Or mount with the bike on the center stand and push off. I have done the center stand mount myself.

Thanks for the memory refresher guys! I'd totally forgotten about those Bates bag sets. Only ones I can actually recall seeing (now) seemed pretty small. But different strokes for different folks! :dance

Cheers! B

Thanks for the memory refresher guys! I'd totally forgotten about those Bates bag sets. Only ones I can actually recall seeing (now) seemed pretty small. But different strokes for different folks! :dance

Cheers! B

They [Bates] made a smaller version , I believe they were called the slims...these are the larger version.

To 71243 For narrow bags, top loading maybe try Shad or look at J.C. Whitney. Any way you go you will more than likely have to make your own mounting brackets for them.
One thing I did hear about,don't laugh, :laugh is to mount your bike from the right side. This does get your leg over wide bags.
Or mount with the bike on the center stand and push off. I have done the center stand mount myself.

Since I have these, and need to make my own mounts no matter what...for now I'll stick with them.

I attended H/D motor officer school & r/side mount dismount is what they teach. Non traffic side, and ability to hold the front brake. LOL!! laughing at myself here...sometimes the left leg won't go that high ....I need all the options I can get...:dunno.....aging sucks !!!

Back