• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Actually one of my considerations!

I regretted selling a couple of specific bikes in the past, but now it's about giving up riding permanently...

Bill, I'm scheduled to teach an MSF class Thursday and Friday but as of now it's got only one student. If it doesn't go (highly likely) let's ride up Hurricane Ridge, then to North Beach at Port Townsend one of those days. Sort of a "Mountains to the sea" ride. Then see how you feel.

Weekdays would probably avoid some of the heavy Hurricane Ridge weekend traffic . . . Anyone else out there locally?

Dan

Right on the cusp of making the decision to sell my '04 R1100S and retire from riding.

Not an easy decision, to say the least. Started riding in 1963 in the desert country of NW Nevada on a Honda 250 Scrambler. Since then have owned a variety of bikes, Honda, Hodaka, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, and a couple of Beemers. My S is the top of the heap, very comfy with the addition of a Rick Mayer custom-fit seat, Rapid Dog barbacks. Has all the performance needed for a street bike, and though it's not a Duc, it handles really well. Frankly hits all the sweet spots for me. And, it's gorgeous, even if it's not Pathetic Blue (you know who you are...lol).

Last couple of years it's spent a lot of time sitting just gathering dust, while my street skills get more and more rust. I still enjoy riding it a few miles now and then, but I'm getting so rusty that it takes awhile to get truly relaxed, smooth and into the ride. Have a health issue or two, but nothing that truly precludes riding. Just don't seem to "find the time" (or energy) to ride nearly as much as I once did.

Sigh....tough decision. Perhaps especially after having a complete 24K service job (bike only has 20.5K on it), upgrading to Speigler brake lines with an ABS flush, new tires, and new Oddysey battery with in the last few months.

Man oh man...! :scratch

Plus! I won't be able to hassle those pesky RS guys any more!

View attachment 57656

Is there no space in your garage? If there is, I'll gladly donate $10 towards a cover (DOWCO makes very affordable ones) and it'll be nice and clean when this mood passes. You do have a battery tender?

Bill, I'm scheduled to teach an MSF class Thursday and Friday but as of now it's got only one student. If it doesn't go (highly likely) let's ride up Hurricane Ridge, then to North Beach at Port Townsend one of those days. Sort of a "Mountains to the sea" ride. Then see how you feel.

Weekdays would probably avoid some of the heavy Hurricane Ridge weekend traffic . . . Anyone else out there locally?

Dan

Thanks for the gracious invitation, Dan. I accept, but can only ride Thursday, have house guests arriving Friday. Let me know...

I did the Hood Canal loop on Friday, the most miles I've done this year. Traffic on 101 northbound was amazingly light!

See ya!

Bill

Is there no space in your garage? If there is, I'll gladly donate $10 towards a cover (DOWCO makes very affordable ones) and it'll be nice and clean when this mood passes. You do have a battery tender?

:)

Our new house does have room for the bike, it's tight, but it fits. And have a cover too. And...a new CTEK charger. So I have things pretty well covered...lol. But if ya wanna send me 10 bucks....:thumb:thumb

On a more serious note, this is an option that's also under consideration. A slight offset, is that I could bank some money into a car replacement in the next year or so. Due to health reasons I took retirement at age 52 (16 years ago), consequently the nest egg is a bit smaller than it should be. It's just another minor point in a host of minor points. :scratch

Thanks for the input!

:)

Our new house does have room for the bike, it's tight, but it fits. And have a cover too. And...a new CTEK charger. So I have things pretty well covered...lol. But if ya wanna send me 10 bucks....:thumb:thumb

On a more serious note, this is an option that's also under consideration. A slight offset, is that I could bank some money into a car replacement in the next year or so. Due to health reasons I took retirement at age 52 (16 years ago), consequently the nest egg is a bit smaller than it should be. It's just another minor point in a host of minor points. :scratch

Thanks for the input!

Well, ya know, when you consider the blue book value.......You might as well just keep it.

But, I understand. There's a time and place for everything.

Until a few months ago, I assumed I was going to be a neighbor of yours up in the rain shadow. But, that plan changed.

Well, ya know, when you consider the blue book value.......You might as well just keep it.

But, I understand. There's a time and place for everything.

Until a few months ago, I assumed I was going to be a neighbor of yours up in the rain shadow. But, that plan changed.

Sorry to hear your plan changed. Sometimes when we have things (sort of) figured out, things change. For me sometimes I don't fully appreciate how things work out...until long after the fact.

Blue book value is one thing to think about, but some folks actually like S bikes more than the average buyer...lol. Took me almost a year of searching nationwide for this bike, and "IF" I decide to put it on the market I'll not accept anything less than a decent price. I have one good target audience on the Pelican Parts R1100/1200S site, a few people there who really like the S bikes. Oddly enough on Pelican Parts forums (BMW/Porsche/Volvo et al) this specific forum for S bikes is the most active. Go figure.

Push comes to shove, I may keep the S as garage art. I once sold a Ducati 900 SS/SP that was set up like European version that was purported to be the only one on the West Coast. A decision I really regret, as I didn't really need to sell it (plenty of room for it and the R1150R I was buying) and didn't get a huge amount of money for it. A fair weather ride, I got some enjoyment from that bike in mid-winter just seeing it in the garage. Frankly, we have wall art in the house that I could probably sell for more money than a bike...lol. Maybe I need to focus on building that storage shed for all the other stuff to enable the S to have it's own shrine space!

I do appreciate your thoughts, helps me clarify things as I make this choice.

Cheers!

I did the Hood Canal loop on Friday, the most miles I've done this year. Traffic on 101 northbound was amazingly light!

Hey! I did the Hood Canal on Friday, north to south. Around 9:00 - 10:00am when I went through with a buddy on our way to Oregon. And I did it south to north today between 8:30 - 9:30 on my way home. Too bad we didn't meet up!

Hey! I did the Hood Canal on Friday, north to south. Around 9:00 - 10:00am when I went through with a buddy on our way to Oregon. And I did it south to north today between 8:30 - 9:30 on my way home. Too bad we didn't meet up!

Shoot! I didn't leave the house until 10:00, probably 11 before I rolled through Hoodsport. Near Miss! LOL

That would have been quite a coincidence....:)

Or do you need something smaller and more enjoyable , say a slower pace? What other activities do you enjoy doing? Eugene

Not really an option Eugene, I ride a somewhat moderate pace (there are old pilots, bold pilots, but very few old bold pilots) and of all the many machines I've had, none are more enjoyable than this S. Really comfortable, great motor, fantastic brakes, and good side cases to carry my gear.

But...you have an excellent question. Due to my health limitations, can't participate in hiking/mountain climbing these days. Difficult even tolerating elevations over 4500 feet, and don't have stamina to walk (flat ground) more than about 4 or 5 miles. So, motorcycling is something I can do...maybe I just need to hang in there and focus on finding more riding time...

Thanks for your feedback!:thumb

(there are old pilots, bold pilots, but very few old bold pilots)

A quote I just mentioned the other day with respect to being a flight instructor. Mind you, I did push the limits when I was an instructor to get a point across to a student who thought he could do a particular maneuver (like a 180 back to the runway after engine failure on takeoff)...no no.

A quote I just mentioned the other day with respect to being a flight instructor. Mind you, I did push the limits when I was an instructor to get a point across to a student who thought he could do a particular maneuver (like a 180 back to the runway after engine failure on takeoff)...no no.

That's been a favorite expression of mine for a long time, learned it from a pilot who flew air attack lead planes for forest fires. :)

That's been a favorite expression of mine for a long time, learned it from a pilot who flew air attack lead planes for forest fires. :)

We had another one on the door to the flight line...

It is tough to soar with the eagles when you work with turkeys.

Right on the cusp of making the decision to sell my '04 R1100S and retire from riding.

Not an easy decision, to say the least. Started riding in 1963 in the desert country of NW Nevada on a Honda 250 Scrambler. Since then have owned a variety of bikes, Honda, Hodaka, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, and a couple of Beemers. My S is the top of the heap, very comfy with the addition of a Rick Mayer custom-fit seat, Rapid Dog barbacks. Has all the performance needed for a street bike, and though it's not a Duc, it handles really well. Frankly hits all the sweet spots for me. And, it's gorgeous, even if it's not Pathetic Blue (you know who you are...lol).

Last couple of years it's spent a lot of time sitting just gathering dust, while my street skills get more and more rust. I still enjoy riding it a few miles now and then, but I'm getting so rusty that it takes awhile to get truly relaxed, smooth and into the ride. Have a health issue or two, but nothing that truly precludes riding. Just don't seem to "find the time" (or energy) to ride nearly as much as I once did.

Sigh....tough decision. Perhaps especially after having a complete 24K service job (bike only has 20.5K on it), upgrading to Speigler brake lines with an ABS flush, new tires, and new Oddysey battery with in the last few months.

Man oh man...! :scratch
Plus! I won't be able to hassle those pesky RS guys any more!

View attachment 57656

Pesky past RS guy here :wave Now a 'Roadster' guy :) But I keep 'juggling' the same question you are. Trouble is, I really enjoy nothing else...and fear it might mess with my head....it is already actually.

Pesky past RS guy here :wave Now a 'Roadster' guy :) But I keep 'juggling' the same question you are. Trouble is, I really enjoy nothing else...and fear it might mess with my head....it is already actually.

Hear you loud and clear...and I had a Roadster ('04, aka Quicksilver) before getting a promotion up to an S! The Roadster was also an excellent machine with a Cee Bailey screen and factory side cases. Just preferred something a bit sportier.

I'll see how the ride goes on Thursday, and I've pledged to use the bike more, even if it's just short errands.

Cheers!

Hear you loud and clear...and I had a Roadster ('04, aka Quicksilver) before getting a promotion up to an S! The Roadster was also an excellent machine with a Cee Bailey screen and factory side cases. Just preferred something a bit sportier.

I'll see how the ride goes on Thursday, and I've pledged to use the bike more, even if it's just short errands.

Cheers!

Mine is an "04" as well, OEM touring shield & system cases...but I do have some changes in mind.....don't see myself stepping *down* to an "S"...:dance So attempting to adjust the one I have.

** Truth is , I can no longer 'fold' as necessary to sit on an "S" anyway..:banghead

Mine is an "04" as well, OEM touring shield & system cases...but I do have some changes in mind.....don't see myself stepping *down* to an "S"...:dance So attempting to adjust the one I have.

** Truth is , I can no longer 'fold' as necessary to sit on an "S" anyway..:banghead

Ron,

One thing I enjoyed on the R was having the OEM sport screen, and a much larger Cee Bailey shield. The CB used the exact same mount as the sport shield, so it could be converted from one to the other in a few minutes. Had a Sargent seat, but in retrospect it wasn't huge improvement in comfort, but did look pretty nice. Few other doo-dads, the best being a pair of Hella FF-50's hung under the shrouds, excellent for night rides...

The S wasn't much of a fold...rode Ducati 900's for ten years, the S feels like a touring bike in comparison...:)

Cheers!:dance

Ron,

One thing I enjoyed on the R was having the OEM sport screen, and a much larger Cee Bailey shield. The CB used the exact same mount as the sport shield, so it could be converted from one to the other in a few minutes. Had a Sargent seat, but in retrospect it wasn't huge improvement in comfort, but did look pretty nice. Few other doo-dads, the best being a pair of Hella FF-50's hung under the shrouds, excellent for night rides...

The S wasn't much of a fold...rode Ducati 900's for ten years, the S feels like a touring bike in comparison...:)

Cheers!:dance

I too had a 04' R1150R. Parabellum tall shield, bar backs, throttle control and factory bags. Love the the bike - Hated the brakes.:wave now with 07' F800ST

Back