• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Yep, still have it. 1982 GS1100GK. My main bike here at home. Presently in back corner of garage, under blankets, on life-support.
IMG_0236c_w1000_zpsrb4syjsj.jpg

(local to here in west Michigan, last spring)

G is shaft drive and 2 valve per cylinder.
K is full factory dresser (did not sell well, so not many of them, and few remaining still have fairing , trunk and bags).

THe 4 valve per cylinder engines are the E models and chain drive, lighter, more sporty.
(1980s GS1100E were fastest most sporty production bikes of the day.)
S models were even sportier and had more body work panels and small fairing.

GS1000s could be shaft (G) or chain drive.

I Have had an GS650G and/or a GS850G and/or this GS1100GK since 1982.

And, so, you can see, that me getting this RT was quite different for me.
Quite different. Quite different in many ways.
And, an '02 is a new bike for me.
IMG_3279_W1200_zpswf0w2ldf.jpg

(Escondido, near daughters in San Diego, about 3 weeks ago)
(more pics and story and ride report here
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?84164-Michigander-in-San-Diego-1150RT )

Nice to have two great looking machines in your garage!

My second street bike was an 850G with a Pacifico Aero fairing + Krauser bags. Subsequently owned another of those, two 1000G's, and the 1000S. Oh, and my wife had a 650G for a few years. Yeah, I liked Suzukis...

The 1000S Wes Cooley Replica, was only chain drive, but Motorcyclist magazine once converted a G model to the S livery.

My 1000S started it's life as a race bike for one of the local Suzuki shops...it was bullet fast...in a straight line. Put 43,000 miles in three years on that first 850, saw a lot of western landscapes. That 850 wasn't bullet-fast, but was bullet-proof...lol. :)

Cheers!

The GS1000s was shaft drive?

I had the 4-valve GS750E. From what I recall, the a additional valves bought you little more than an increase in weight. Somehow, they got it right with the GS1100E, but completely hosed it with the smaller engine. Yep, should have stayed with 2-valves.

The S was chain drive only...

Those 2 valve Suzukis did pretty well in the maintenance department as well. The shim on top of the bucket cam follower was a little fiddley, but once you had the right tool they were easy to adjust, and very stable. On my first 850, in 43,000 miles, two of the valves needed adjustment twice, three valves one adjustment, the other three...never. Still have my shop notes around somewhere...:)

Cheers!

The S was chain drive only...

Those 2 valve Suzukis did pretty well in the maintenance department as well. The shim on top of the bucket cam follower was a little fiddley, but once you had the right tool they were easy to adjust, and very stable. On my first 850, in 43,000 miles, two of the valves needed adjustment twice, three valves one adjustment, the other three...never. Still have my shop notes around somewhere...:)

Cheers!

The 4-valve GS was the second most disappointing vehicle I ever owned. As a result, I bought a left-over 1984 R80ST and never looked back.

The 4-valve GS was the second most disappointing vehicle I ever owned. As a result, I bought a left-over 1984 R80ST and never looked back.

My infatuation with Suzukis lasted quite a while...then on to a couple of Ducatis before I matured enough (ha) to get my first Beemer, an R1150R (aka Quicksilver). :brad

Cheers!

My infatuation with Suzukis lasted quite a while...then on to a couple of Ducatis before I matured enough (ha) to get my first Beemer, an R1150R (aka Quicksilver). :brad

Cheers!

Checkout the RS/S section of the new Marketplace...........$4900 OBO for a 2004 R1150RS with 16,500 miles.

It's a step-up for a great price.

Checkout the RS/S section of the new Marketplace...........$4900 OBO for a 2004 R1150RS with 16,500 miles.

It's a step-up for a great price.

My best offer would be...$12.19.

Think the owner would accept? :)

OTOH, not sure why I would want a slower bike. :dunno

Wouldn't the leg room be nice?

Leg room is fine on my S, especially after 11 years on Ducatis.

Truth is, for my height have short legs and a long torso. With a custom fit seat, and Rapid Dod barbacks, I'm perfectly comfy.

Thanks for your concern. :)

Cheers! :drink

Leg room is fine on my S, especially after 11 years on Ducatis.

Truth is, for my height have short legs and a long torso. With a custom fit seat, and Rapid Dod barbacks, I'm perfectly comfy.

Thanks for your concern. :)

Cheers! :drink

Barbacks??? Oh my.

Someday, when I'm old and grey........:)

Don't need to buy 'em, I've already got 'em. The oilhead GS who's photo has graced this thread somewheres back there, an R75/5 that's a hoot to ride, and a Kawasaki W650 (the retro Triumph clone tha has a very heavy Japanese accent but a bevel drive's Italian/old Norton twang) for when I want to ride something, well, more conventional.

The thing about this S-bike is a little harder to define . . . but it's the reason I added the T.E. Lawrence quote to my signature line. :thumb

Don't need to buy 'em, I've already got 'em. The oilhead GS who's photo has graced this thread somewheres back there, an R75/5 that's a hoot to ride, and a Kawasaki W650 (the retro Triumph clone tha has a very heavy Japanese accent but a bevel drive's Italian/old Norton twang) for when I want to ride something, well, more conventional.

The thing about this S-bike is a little harder to define . . . but it's the reason I added the T.E. Lawrence quote to my signature line. :thumb

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/home.html

Shadow's 1996 R1100R in Coastal Carolina

20151125_162443.jpg

Was out for a day of looking for abandoned farm house and found this quick photo opportunity.

Neil

Back