• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a picture of your Oilhead

Wow. No problem finding your bike at the Rally.

I don't know where to begin. First, the original bike...aka...The Early Years. What is the deal with that windshield? I do not think I have seen one like that before.

The Later Years. Where did you get those mirrors. Please do not say off an R1100S or we RS guys will never hear the end of it. :)

What about that front fender. Fill us in on that too.

:laugh:laugh:laugh

You KNOW those are 11S mirrors...and that fender looks familiar as well:whistle

and just to level the RS/S numbers....here's a double for ya

P1010114-M.jpg

Hey Guys,
Thanks! Piant was done by The Wark Shop in Ohio. He did a great job. He has done many R90S paint jobs so he is very familiar with the Silber Smoke fade and he was substantially cheaper than others who quoted me. Highly recommend him.
Yes, those are R1100S mirrors and R1100S front forks and front fender with an R1150R A-arm. Has a GS torque arm and height adjustable Wilbers now. Heads were ported and 1150RT cylinders and pistons were installed. Has since had oversized headers installed and a different muffler. Also cut down the Parabellum shield and added Saeng edging. The bike also has a tubular bar conversion and a Russell seat. Very, very comfy for all day rides and a lot more powerful than stock. The original Teal bike had a stock shield with a Laminar Lip I think.
I love the bike but find myself riding the R1200R mostly with the limited time I have to ride. Just as comfy now that I have changed seat/bars/shield and it is much lighter,much faster, handles way better and is more fun to ride. Hate to say it since the RS was always my "forever bike". May still keep it long term but am tempted to sell it since I basically ride it once or twice a year at this point.

Mike

Yes, those are R1100S mirrors ...

I love what you did with the bike. The mirrors look great and I bet they give a nice rear view, but I've seen what happens to that conversion in a tip-over... gets ugly in a hurry when a chunk of fairing stays attached to the mirror. I tipped over my RS in my back yard last month (darn wet grass). It broke the mirror. I drover over to Gateway BMW (7 miles), bought a new one and screwed it on--job done.

AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST ONE REASON THE RS IS SUPERIOR TO THE S. :thumb

First Ride

Here's my nephew's daughter getting her first motorcycle ride. Having the Sena intercom was great for hearing her commentary. This was during a 5-day trip with my wife to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and parts in between. A favorite regional destination.

2013-09-21 12.16.03 (1024x768).jpg

I love what you did with the bike. The mirrors look great and I bet they give a nice rear view, but I've seen what happens to that conversion in a tip-over... gets ugly in a hurry when a chunk of fairing stays attached to the mirror. I tipped over my RS in my back yard last month (darn wet grass). It broke the mirror. I drover over to Gateway BMW (7 miles), bought a new one and screwed it on--job done.

AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST ONE REASON THE RS IS SUPERIOR TO THE S. :thumb

I actually welded brackets to the front fairing frame to bolt the mirrors through so hopefully that won't happen. The mirrors do give a much better view than the bar mounted mirrors for sure.
Mike

I really hate these S bike guys. :)

Well, there are lots of reasons to hate us. But, as my friend Billy Shakespeare once said, "Methinks thou dost protest too much".

Meaning? You want an S because you know it is a vastly superior machine ridden by superior riders.

You know it. I know it. And now the world knows it.

Trailer a bike to a rally, indeed.

:laugh

Here's my nephew's daughter getting her first motorcycle ride. Having the Sena intercom was great for hearing her commentary. This was during a 5-day trip with my wife to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and parts in between. A favorite regional destination.

View attachment 42454

I trust the young lady will be purchasing her own bike in about 10-15 years? :thumb

There's plenty to dislike about an RS but there's something about a black one that would allow me to consider owning one - if there were no other motorcycles in the world. :laugh

Mike,

you put a lot into that bike. How did you come up with the idea to add all those different parts to the RS? I can appreciate the fact the R is a better ride. Tough call about selling the RS. I am sure you invested fair amount in that bike, but if you are not riding it anymore...

Adding a picture to keep with the forum theme.

FH010026.jpg

Mike,

you put a lot into that bike. How did you come up with the idea to add all those different parts to the RS? I can appreciate the fact the R is a better ride. Tough call about selling the RS. I am sure you invested fair amount in that bike, but if you are not riding it anymore...

Adding a picture to keep with the forum theme.

View attachment 42457

Since I have all of these parts staring at me in the Beemerboneyard, I could not resist trying a few things from other bikes. Always thought the fork legs on the S and 1150GS/Rockster look better and are probably more rigid than the older cast style legs on the RS. The A-arm is just eye candy, nothing else. The mirrors have a better range of vision for sure. Handle bars are from an R1150R and I used moto-cross bar risers bolted through existing mounting points on the top tripple clamp. Bars are more comfortable than the stock clip ons and I always disliked the rubber mounting set up on the RS. Basically I took all of the things I liked from other oilheads and made them work on the RS. Not very practical if you don't have access to cheap (free) used parts though :thumb
Mike

"The mirrors have a better range of vision for sure." :thumb
Mike

I always liked the mirrors on my R1100S (did I already say how much I miss that bike??? :rolleyes) and this was a 1 day experiment I did on my K75S back in 2009 with the stock mirror and the oval mirror, which sold me to switch. The oval mirror is from a 2004 R1150ST and screws right into the K75S mirror mounts.

Attachments

• Hillsdale Lake 12-20-2009_1_45.jpg
    Hillsdale Lake 12-20-2009_1_45.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 231
Welcome, Bednarley! Always glad to have another RS rider to tip the scales in the right direction. Yours is a beauty!

Gone but not forgotten

This was one of the last pics of my 94' RSL. I traded if for a 05' R1200RT. I would love to have another R1100 or 1150 RS. Anyone want to trade for a 1988 R100RT ?

photo.jpg

Its been a while since I posted my bike (Heidi) and thought I'd contribute to the RS side of the equation...but the thing is she isnt getting along with "Claudia" so am now looking for a....R1100S...:thumb

Attachments

• IMG-20120616-00111.jpg
    IMG-20120616-00111.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG-20120630-00136 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-20120630-00136 - Copy.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 272
Back