• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a picture of your Oilhead

My 1999 Beamer... .with the paint I love

My First BMW and I just never get tired of it. It was originally all mandarin with a little checker board stripe. Why not have the best paint ever designed for the bike? Then it was just changing the wheels to the right colour and I got some help from the forums on this site. I makes me smile every time I ride it.

Attachments

• spring2.jpg
    spring2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 433
A little oneupmanship there, Brewmeister? Big screen, wide lights, coordinating luggage, shades and a smile while your twin squints for the photo, now add the trailer... He should start calling you Hollywood. :brow :hide

Thought I'd finally post a picture of my 1995 oily head! It has 35k miles on it and seems to run pretty wonderful right now. Thanks for looking.
Steve

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_15-06-02_359.jpg
    2012-07-28_15-06-02_359.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 341
Thought I'd finally post a picture of my 1995 oily head! It has 35k miles on it and seems to run pretty wonderful right now. Thanks for looking.
Steve

Nice clean RSL. Are those the stock plastics & paint? I thought the silver accent paint and matching dash color came in '96.

Nice clean RSL. Are those the stock plastics & paint? I thought the silver accent paint and matching dash color came in '96.

I believe it's pretty close to original paint/trim configuration but to say it is for sure I wouldn't know. I bought my bike from a guy that was selling it on a salvaged title after he bought it from a BMW tech that put it back on the road after a parking lot crash right off from the insurance co. He, the second owner, bought it in 2000 and only rode it at 2200 miles per year. It runs fantastic and I really don't care about the title value as I will ride it until I can't anymore.
The only thing that I've noticed is the decal on the tank is void on both sides depicting the bike model but to me that's little details only.
Steve:thumb

Last edited:
I believe it's pretty close to original paint/trim configuration but to say it is for sure I wouldn't know. I bought my bike from a guy that was selling it on a salvaged title after he bought it from a BMW tech that put it back on the road after a parking lot crash right off from the insurance co. He, the second owner, bought it in 2000 and only road it at 2200 miles per year. It runs fantastic and I really don't care about the title value as I will ride it until I can't anymore.
The only thing that I've noticed is the decal on the tank is void on both sides depicting the bike model but to me that's little details only.
Steve:thumb

I kind of like it without the R1100RS decal. Here's mine from a ride this summer. It has also been through a crash or two, but is actually a combination of three bikes. Somehow, through all of that, mine has a clean title. Go figure.
IMG_1607.JPG

I kind of like it without the R1100RS decal. Here's mine from a ride this summer. It has also been through a crash or two, but is actually a combination of three bikes. Somehow, through all of that, mine has a clean title. Go figure.
IMG_1607.JPG
Your bike is nice! I noticed that you have something on your tank that runs from the top to the bottom next to your seat, what is that and where does one find one? I also like the rear fender rack above the rear fender.
How do you like your r1100?
Cheers,
Steve

Your bike is nice! I noticed that you have something on your tank that runs from the top to the bottom next to your seat, what is that and where does one find one? I also like the rear fender rack above the rear fender.
How do you like your r1100?
Cheers,
Steve
Love the bike aside from the gearbox input splines being slowly eaten away. I think I'll be splitting the bike this winter to have another look at them.

The piece on the tank is just an aftermarket stick on "tank pad" to prevent your zipper from scratching the tank. There are lots to choose from. I think the one on mine is just a generic carbon fiber look piece. It was on the bike when I got it.
EDIT - took a close look at mine and noticed it has the Z logo - guess someone spent the big bucks for the real deal.

cheap ones on ebay:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...bmw&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Want the real deal?
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2100

Want the sides covered too?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/1601032.html

The rear racks require a new tail piece and struts that go through it and bolt to the subframe. I have a spare, blue tail piece with a little damage inside, but not the rack, struts or hardware. It does come in handy at times.

Last edited:
Love the bike aside from the gearbox input splines being slowly eaten away. I think I'll be splitting the bike this winter to have another look at them.

The piece on the tank is just an aftermarket stick on "tank pad" to prevent your zipper from scratching the tank. There are lots to choose from. I think the one on mine is just a generic carbon fiber look piece. It was on the bike when I got it.

cheap ones on ebay:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...bmw&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Want the real deal?
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2100

Want the sides covered too?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/1601032.html

The rear racks require a new tail piece and struts that go through it and bolt to the subframe. I have a spare, blue tail piece with a little damage inside, but not the rack, struts or hardware. It does come in handy at times.

Over time, do all the RS's have the input spline issues? How many miles do you have on your bike? I guess I've always believed that if it's not broken just ride it until you have to fix it unless one thing leads to another then the choice is gone. I hope yours works out for the best. Thank you very much for the info, it will be used.

Steve

Over time, do all the RS's have the input spline issues? How many miles do you have on your bike? I guess I've always believed that if it's not broken just ride it until you have to fix it unless one thing leads to another then the choice is gone. I hope yours works out for the best. Thank you very much for the info, it will be used.

Steve

I'll send you a pm with spline lube links tomorrow rather than clutter the photo thread anymore

I have a 94 RS with 170,000 miles on it, with over 110,000 on the 96 spec transmission that was replaced in 98. The clutch splines will get cleaned/lubed again this winter when I pull the tranny back. But the "slowly eats the clutch splines" comment really isn't true as long as you do regular maintenance.

I have a 94 RS with 170,000 miles on it, with over 110,000 on the 96 spec transmission that was replaced in 98. The clutch splines will get cleaned/lubed again this winter when I pull the tranny back. But the "slowly eats the clutch splines" comment really isn't true as long as you do regular maintenance.

Sorry - that was aimed specifically at my bike although the oilheads as a whole do have a history of spline wear, some much worse than others. In my case, the input shaft splines were partially worn when I got the bike and the mating clutch hub was chewed. I put it back together with a clutch hub with very little wear and lubed it. I'll pull it apart again this winter for a cleaning, inspection and hopefully a relube / reassemble. Given the wear already on the shaft, I figure it is only a matter of time before I'm replacing the shaft. When that time comes, a new clutch assembly and housing alignment check will also be on the menu.

The details if you want to read them:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=55462

If anyone wants to continue this discussion, please reply in the linked thread. I didn't mean to open a can of worms and clutter up the photo thread.

Last edited:
Sweet lookin' S! Like that Phil Read edition Arai as well....

(But Titan Gray/Mandarin S bikes are still the fastest:bolt)

Back