Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Center stand hang up

Funduro

Center stand hang up

I have a 98 RTP with a center stand that does not retract all the way when rocked off the stand. I just replaced the springs with new ones and it still does not retract all the way. With the springs removed the stand seems to swing freely with no binding. I don't see a grease fitting so I oiled the pivot points and there was some improvement but not much. Is this a common problem with RT stands or is there a simple fix?

If you have the springs removed, you might as well take the centerstand off, clean and lubricate the pivot bearing surfaces, o-rings etc. and remount it.
    The springs are the hardest part to get back on - I usually have the best luck with using a long screwdriver for leverage. Watch out if the spring slips - wear safety goggles and gloves to protect yourself.
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    If you have the springs removed, you might as well take the centerstand off, clean and lubricate the pivot bearing surfaces, o-rings etc. and remount it.
    The springs are the hardest part to get back on - I usually have the best luck with using a long screwdriver for leverage. Watch out if the spring slips - wear safety goggles and gloves to protect yourself.
    Haven't done this myself, but have seen pictures where people insert washers or coins between spring coils when the spring is extended (stand down) and then put bike on center stand. That frees up the spring which is locked in extended position.

Grease
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

on my RT the centerstand retracts slowly. I had it off and cleaned and lubed everything. it will go up about halfway, then a few seconds later go up all the way. I suppose the springs get weak over time. I also use a long flat head screwdriver to reinstall the springs.

I have just learned to pull it the rest of the way up with my left toe. It's habit, don't even think about it anymore.
    Christopher Ross
    Lubbock, Texas
    IBA# 522
    2016 R1200RS, 2012 R1200GSA, 1975 R90/6 (x2)

Brett
    I used a little WD-40 on my GS when this started 2 seconds and problem solved. Also works on stiff pet-cocks on my 1970/5 and for cleaning tar off the GS muffler. Miracle cure? maybe

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa

Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    I used a little WD-40 on my GS when this started 2 seconds and problem solved. Also works on stiff pet-cocks on my 1970/5 and for cleaning tar off the GS muffler. Miracle cure? maybe

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa
    now if you had some Duct Tape you could fix anything.

Jeffhorn
    I too used wd-40 with excellent results.

Brett
    I agree on the duct tape also, saved my butt at the 4 winns rally when a tent pole went bad.

Brett Endress
    Altoona pa

Funduro
    Thanks for all the good tips. Today I sprayed it with WD-40 and it seems to have done the trick. I only tested it about three times but it retracted all the way each time. I will have to see how long it lasts before it needs another treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    I agree on the duct tape also, saved my butt at the 4 winns rally when a tent pole went bad.

Brett Endress
    Altoona pa
    saved my butt at the Great Chicken Rally when a tent pole went bad. I didn't bother bringing that tent home...

For reference, the stand seems to swing easily with the springs off because the springs are not pulling it tight against one side of the pivot pin. WD 40 works, mostly to clean the grit out and partly to lubricate. If there is dried up cruddy grease captured, the WD40 softens and dilutes it. Heavy oil is a better long term solution and grease is what BMW would say you should use - after a thorough cleaning of course.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I ended up drilling 2 x 1/16" holes 180 degrees apart on each pivot side (after disassembling and cleaning) and use a pin grease gun to lube every time I lube the side stand (per BMW service interval)
    No problem ever since
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

sportridertex

Center Stand

I bought my R1100RT new in June 1999, it's always had a slow retracting centerstand, it's just become second nature for me to check it before I ride off.

It's been this way since new....