Thread: hinge broke on aluminum adventure cases

bmdubyou

hinge broke on aluminum adventure cases

Does anyone know where to find where to find hinges for the aluminum cases off an 02 GS adv? I opened one of mine too hasitly and I let it drop allowing it to shatter into a dozen pieces.
    Thanks!

Of course you can order from BMW but do a Google search. I'm positive I saw the exact hinges offered aftermarket.
    If you must replace both hinges, go to the local hardware store. No point buying $$$ OEM crap
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If you don't mind doing the retrofit work chances are you can find something at
    www.mcmaster.com It's a place with an amazing amount stock.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

bmdubyou
    yeah, I was thinking of just getting some real hinges (metal) but the OEM have a detent stop that keeps the lids halfway open.

BMW sells a set of wire loops to keep the lids from flipping over. You can make your own from thin, stainless aircraft wire also. Highly recommended
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv

bmdubyou
    Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    BMW sells a set of wire loops to keep the lids from flipping over. You can make your own from thin, stainless aircraft wire also. Highly recommended
    Have you done that? Where would you mount the wire? Not sure Id want to drill holes in the aluminum!? (BUT it would save busting the hinges)

Yes, did that.
    The wires go under exising bolts, with a washer that comes with the kit. In the lid, it's one of the bolts that hold the strap loops and in the bottom part, it's one of the bolts that holds the attachment hardware on the side of the box.
    Easy as pie. No drilling required.
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv

bmdubyou
    wow...Re-psycle wants like $45 for a hinge....and I need two. I'm thinking locally now...the local hardware just might have something that'll work just fine!

hinge.jpg

So my 2004 R 1150 GS Adventure has suffered the same fate and need to find this hinge / articulation mechanism part. Full disclosure, I don't know what the OEM part name or number is... Who knows it?

I've written to A&S here in Cali to see if they have it, although I can't find it in a search on their site.

Lastly I've found it on the overseas site: ---bmw-motorrad-bohling-com---
    Has anyone bought from them? It looks legit, but what do I know? It's the internet.
    Last edited by steffenv; 04-11-2018 at 01:22 AM.

I did check out their site and it looks pretty good, I would order from them. I see they take PayPal so you are somewhat protected. I have ordered a couple large value purchases from two different European companies, I have been completely satisfied with the customer service and delivery of those items. I even had to return an item, all issues were resolved and I received my full refund.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Search Adv Riders GS forum. There is a thread on this subject. I believe Southco has a hinge that is a direct replacement at a significant lower cost.

https://www.southco.com/en-ca/
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Search Adv Riders GS forum. There is a thread on this subject. I believe Southco has a hinge that is a direct replacement at a significant lower cost.

https://www.southco.com/en-ca/
    Excellent! Thanks I totally spaced on searching over there and looks like a good solution is available from McMaster : https://www.mcmaster.com/#2190a13/=173ng7m

(On a side note: "ufda happens" sounds like a motto my norwegian father would say haha. Maybe it's not scandinavian specific though?)

Ended up ordering from Ugly Fish Inc ...let's see how these hold up: http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-m...es-p/c6-xx.htm
    Last edited by steffenv; 04-11-2018 at 08:29 PM.