• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike Friendly Lodging in Midland-Odessa?

boltgunner

First post, new rider, new owner of a '15 GS, taking a ride from my dealer in El Paso to Houston. If I am posting in the wrong place, please forgive me! Heading for Austin for that first oil change. Thank you in advance!

Midland Odessa is a very pricey hotel/motel locatiion right now due to he oilfield activity. But any of the motels near the highway would be motorcycle friendly or at least not motorcycle hostile. But Van Horn or some other location along 10 instead of 20 would probably be less expensive.

If you need to be up on 20 for some reason then Van Horn or Abailine would be better stops. Personally, I would take 10 and plan a stop at Ozona or Sonora.

Last edited:
Was trying to avoid the interstate as I am new to riding and I am 59. Thinking of lvg ELP on a nice two lane towards Carlsbad NM then working my way to M-O and on to Austin. A bit nervous of taking my eyes off my bike regardless of where I might stay. May have to camp along the way...

Was trying to avoid the interstate as I am new to riding and I am 59. Thinking of lvg ELP on a nice two lane towards Carlsbad NM then working my way to M-O and on to Austin. A bit nervous of taking my eyes off my bike regardless of where I might stay. May have to camp along the way...

Backroads work and are marvelous. Pick a motel with outside doors to each room where you can park by the door and see the bike through the window.

Yeah I was even thinking of dragging the bike into the room if the bars fit through. Bike has the keyless system. Sales rep says you cannot start the bike without the fob so it kinda works like a security system.

Yeah I was even thinking of dragging the bike into the room if the bars fit through. Bike has the keyless system. Sales rep says you cannot start the bike without the fob so it kinda works like a security system.

It is an anti-theft system. They are required in Europe. I think you are worrying too much. They can't start it and ride it away. They would have to load it on something. Pretty easily seen even at night. The theft rate for BMW bikes is very low. Pick a nice mom n pop motel or other hotel where you can park outside your room door and see through the window.

Thanks! My fretting meter is not quite pegged. Ready to do this before the heat gets here! Any other tips are welcome!

Back