• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Lake Chochiching, Ontario, Canada - 5.21 - 5.23.2015

The Altantic provinces, perhaps, but in Ontario and Quebec, schools closures aren't like us in the states.

If the roof stays up under the snow load, school will be held! Use the snow machine to get here! Bring extra wood for the heater!

We've enjoyed every one of our many visits to Canada.

:ca

Friendly citizens, beautiful scenery, poutain, clean water, quiet campgrounds, impressive glaciers, Killer Whales, cheap gas (Oh, forgot, that as $/L, not gallon!)

And my friend Paul lets me sleep at his house for free. :thumb:dance

While I'm all in favour of an MOA event in Canada, and in my neck of the woods especially, I can't help but wonder why it has been booked for YOUR long weekend rather than ours. Most of the time our Victoria Day weekend coincides with your Memorial Day weekend, but not this year. I get that we want you to visit and all, but if it was meant to feel like a 'Canadian' event, it doesn't. We're still planning to go, but it feels a little weird..

While I'm all in favour of an MOA event in Canada, and in my neck of the woods especially, I can't help but wonder why it has been booked for YOUR long weekend rather than ours. Most of the time our Victoria Day weekend coincides with your Memorial Day weekend, but not this year. I get that we want you to visit and all, but if it was meant to feel like a 'Canadian' event, it doesn't. We're still planning to go, but it feels a little weird..

It could be possible that it was booked that weekend to not conflict with London's Forest City Motorrad Club's ABC Rally, which for 30 years has always been on the Victoria Weekend. :dunno

Going back as far as 2008 and up to 2016, not once there has been a weekend where the Victoria and Memorial Day Weekend coincided. I believe you would find this to be true if you were look up the dates prior to 2008.

All of the 2015 MOA Getaway Weekends are booked as Friday to Sunday events, with not one being a long weekend.

it was meant to feel like a 'Canadian' event, it doesn't............ it feels a little weird..

For the record, we've been doing that to people for years.

Distance measured in kilometers and gas sold by the liter seems pretty exotic to us. It's a bit like walking thru New Orleans or the Red-light district of some European cities. :)

It could be possible that it was booked that weekend to not conflict with London's Forest City Motorrad Club's ABC Rally, which for 30 years has always been on the Victoria Weekend. :dunno

Going back as far as 2008 and up to 2016, not once there has been a weekend where the Victoria and Memorial Day Weekend coincided. I believe you would find this to be true if you were look up the dates prior to 2008.

All of the 2015 MOA Getaway Weekends are booked as Friday to Sunday events, with not one being a long weekend.

Kurt has created a new Forum Area for special events such as this-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?115-MOA-Getaways-and-Events

Rumor has it that no matter what you have "allegedly" done in Canada, if you remove your helmet and are found wearing this
24028995_RED_WHITE_5.JPG
all sins are forgiven. :ca
OM

Rumor has it that no matter what you have "allegedly" done in Canada, if you remove your helmet and are found wearing this
24028995_RED_WHITE_5.JPG
all sins are forgiven. :ca
OM

:lol I doubt if Ontario's "Golden Helmets" would give you a break. They're not known for their sense of humour at the side of the highway. :lol

Couchiching!!!!!!!

Boston to Couchiching Ontario CAnada!!! leaving 05/22 coming back 05/24 or 25 it's a Memorial Day weekend!!!
Anybody wants to coming along??????

I took the trip up. It was WELL worth the time. Everything was GREAT. Defiantly going next year. The food, people, accommodations, ride up was first class.

Great Time

Thanks to Bill and all that helped put a great weekend together. The seminars and the campfire tales were very entertaining. I will definitely remember Clinton Smout's riding tips when I come to water crossings in the future.
Terrific location, can't wait to go back up for the HU weekend in June.

P.S., whoever it was at the campfire that recommended the movie "Searching for Sugar Man", thanks, My wife and I watched it last night, it was very interesting.

MOA Getaway Lake Chochiching, Ontario, Canada

It was a great event, and such a nice place to hold a rally, BMWMOA if they ever hold a rally in Canada again should consider this venue for hosting such an event. Great food, and lot's of roads nearby to explore. Thanks to Bill and Greg for hosting the event. Lot's of American visitors and they were welcomed with a great Canadian smile and a beer!.

I was working one of the displays and will promote the event again if it happens next year!

It was a great event, and such a nice place to hold a rally, BMWMOA if they ever hold a rally in Canada again should consider this venue for hosting such an event. Great food, and lot's of roads nearby to explore. Thanks to Bill and Greg for hosting the event. Lot's of American visitors and they were welcomed with a great Canadian smile and a beer!.

I was working one of the displays and will promote the event again if it happens next year!

Thanks to all for the nice words of encouragement! Two bits of news to share for next year though.

First the bad: the site has been rented to the Ministry of Education for the next three years and all the weekend events that took place this year have been terminated, including our Getaway and the HU meeting the following month.

Now the good news: Greg and I have been scouting out possible replacement venues for the past few months and are very close to firming up on an even better location. Not able to announce it just yet, but it does have 1200 acres of ATV trails around its own lake, a confidence high ropes course, driving range, canoes, and is in the Muskokas!

Stand by....

Bill Hooykaas

Back