• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1200 R Km vs Mi on onboard display

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Replaced speedo assy on bro in laws 08 R1200R and the trip meter function is showing Km...I need miles.

Looked in the manual and see no option? When we ordered it, there was not two options for module either( A US model) I tried multiple button pushing sequences with no change yet.:scratch

My next step was to hook the GS911 up to it this morning.

When it originally powered up, there was a value screen that maybe allowed a change...I wasn't looking at it until it was just changing:banghead

I think this is a dealer-only change. As I recall, the GS911 lets you change units for display within the program and logs, but I don't think it will change the bike display.

Replaced speedo assy on bro in laws 08 R1200R and the trip meter function is showing Km...I need miles.

Looked in the manual and see no option? When we ordered it, there was not two options for module either( A US model) I tried multiple button pushing sequences with no change yet.:scratch

As an owner of an 08 I am more concerned about why the unit needed to be replaced.

It says it is a new feature with this version or recently, and it did change the display value.

It does not like the new display because the stored mileage value in the engine management is not matching the new unit. He will need to fix that at the dealer. It also is looking for TPMS and ESA, so assuming they can dumb it down for this bike w/out trip computer and those functions.

Kevin, not my story to tell as Chuck would say:whistle If y'all make Branson ,he can tell the tale:ha:ha:ha

The new dash,headlight,mirrors,V Stream shield AND bracket,and paint look nice. The ignition assy ( three pieces) also look nice under all of that. :uhoh Sorry Chuck...

BTW, drilling out those two security bolts wasn't hard, getting the EZ out to cooperate with the gob of Loctite that was on them was a booger. Some German TVA rule that ignition assemblies must be tamper proof, if real ,sure hampers that operation.

The new switch bracket with steering stop got regular bolts this time...prob never need to go back there in that bikes lifetime. The ignition electronics that do go bad, screw onto the bottom of that bracket and can be changed in a short bit.The shaft from the key barrel mates to the switch. That was a recent part on this bike when he was having the acting up starting sequence. A quick $100 within a few months.

Anyways, bike rides and looks nice. After he sees it, I'll post a pic of it and his old junk on the Blanco Tree of Shame

Back