• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

North East Montana and Western North Dakota roads to the rally

JPAC

jpac
Looking forward to the rally and planning my summer ride. Want to see a couple of places I haven't been before (and a return to a few favorites as well). Some may call me crazy, but I have always wanted to see N.E. Montana and I would like to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park. As of now I am looking at picking up Hwy 87, eastbound out of Great Falls Mt. and then Hwy 2 across to somewhere in North Dakota ??, then south ???? to Medora off I 94. There is a loop at the south entrace to the park I would like to ride and then... west to the rally. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

NE Montana and NW North Dakota are not particularly pleasant places these days. The oil fields have filled the area with traffic (mostly trucks), mud and dust, few places to stay and unfortunately more crime than one would expect.

Plan your ride carefully to go in, through, and out of the western third of North Dakota in one day. A cruddy 10 room dump motel will want $130 and anything decent will be approaching the $200 mark - for one night, not the week. And camping will be almost non-existant except maybe the CG at Medora or in the South Unit of TRNP. Last time we camped in the park we got there at noon and got a site. By about 4:00 the CG was full. We flagged down a couple with a little tear drop camper like ours (we were in the tent this trip) and shared our site with them.

If you go South from Bowman on HW 85, you can go to Belle Fourche,SD. Take HW 34 west into Wyoming HW 24 threw Hulett,WY to Devil's Tower. After that go back to Hulett on HW 24 and go North on HW 112. All this is a very nice ride in the Northern Black Hills. Take HW 112 up to Alzada,MT. Now take HW 212 west threw Broadas,MT west to Little Bighorn Battlefield. Yep, Custer last Stand. Now just take I-90 up to Billings,MT. Have fun on what ever way you go and be safe!:wave

If you go South from Bowman on HW 85, you can go to Belle Fourche,SD. Take HW 34 west into Wyoming HW 24 threw Hulett,WY to Devil's Tower. After that go back to Hulett on HW 24 and go North on HW 112. All this is a very nice ride in the Northern Black Hills. Take HW 112 up to Alzada,MT. Now take HW 212 west threw Broadas,MT west to Little Bighorn Battlefield. Yep, Custer last Stand. Now just take I-90 up to Billings,MT. Have fun on what ever way you go and be safe!:wave

Rharrod, thanks, loading up bing maps now :)

Back