• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Flange Recall - BMW "Technical Campaign"

I'm not at all sure NHTSA lists recalls that are initiated by and voluntary on the part of the manufacturer.

I'm not at all sure NHTSA lists recalls that are initiated by and voluntary on the part of the manufacturer.

Correct, NHTSA doesn't do that.
The VisorDown article says this is a "service campaign," so it's not mandated from outside.

I'm going to change the title of this thread to expand on the word recall...use the term technical campaign as well just to be clear.

And just to clarify further and I don't know but I believe a technical service bulletin, or service campaign, or service bulletin does not pay for the item for you either, does it?
I think they still end up sticking you with the bill, don't they?
Whereas recall law is that they have to do the whole thing free, isn't it?
And also that's why it's a little more difficult to get a recall going.
dc

And just to clarify further and I don't know but I believe a technical service bulletin, or service campaign, or service bulletin does not pay for the item for you either, does it?

Every car/bike I've ever had has, at some point, had a service bulletin (not a mandated recall) issued on it. Never cost me a penny. The biggest one was, "Dear Sir, We'd like to replace all the valve springs on your Lexus."

Your experience may vary.

dc

If the article is correct, it quotes BMW's news release as saying that it's free of charge, as one would expect.

I had two bikes under the EWS recall and did neither of them.
I think some things are better left alone.
I also have not had the fuel tank looked at.
And, they did a recall on some, but not all the fuel pump controllers. Even tho' they are all the same controller.
I wonder if they will let me pull my rear axle assembly, take it in, and just get the spider (flange) mounted on it.
dc

No John, I wouldn't believe that any more than I believe that the problem is over tightening the wheel bolts.
I think it's just a defective flange. Either engineered wrong, with the wrong material, or bad material in and of itself.
dc

dc

I just had both switches on the handlebar changed out based on a service bulletin, for no charge a couple weeks back. I booked a service for my 700 GS for the 18,000 mile interval, and my dealer scheduled the change for the same period. I didn't even know there was a bulletin out for the switches, so there you go. Says a lot for developing a good dealer/customer relationship. That cost was close to $500 U.S. that could have had to come out of my pocket if I experienced the issues that apparently several other owners were involved in......but the service bulletin took care of it.

When there is a defect that could cause a critical part to fracture, allowing the wheel to fall off, it is likely that there would be a recall if BMW didn't initate the replacements voluntarily. I suspect they knew that!

No John, I wouldn't believe that any more than I believe that the problem is over tightening the wheel bolts.
I think it's just a defective flange. Either engineered wrong, with the wrong material, or bad material in and of itself.
dc

The original design flange looked like a water jet cut from a solid aluminum billet piece.....the new style is a stamped/forged piece that does look beefier with gussets. A buddy had a new FD unit for his K13GT and the new style flange was on it.
My 05 RT had cracks thru the rotor mounting points where the flange was threaded for the rotor screws. Was replaced around the end of 2006.
Had nothing to do with wheel mounting bolt area then.

They've been cracking at the rotor mount points for 10 years. Likilhood there would ever be an official recall seems small.

Back