• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does anybody have any...

ppaintguy

Good morning all...I was wondering if there is anyone with experience in traveling through Alaska, especially parks and most of all the Dalton Hwy please? My friend and I are planning an '06 trip and I am in the early stages of intel gathering from some folks that have been there and done that.

If anyone from MI can help I can meet in real time and buy coffee/beer as an info exchange ...lol.

Thanks in advance,
Andy :bikes

Thanks Gale, this was helpful I shall enjoy reading this. It is amazing how many sites there are that I have never heard of like this...newbies eh?...thanks again, Andy

pudgypaintguy said:
Good morning all...I was wondering if there is anyone with experience in traveling through Alaska, especially parks and most of all the Dalton Hwy please? My friend and I are planning an '06 trip and I am in the early stages of intel gathering from some folks that have been there and done that.
Here's my write-up (with several photo links) from the 4th of July weekend in 2004. Be aware that road and weather conditions in Alaska can change drastically in a short period of time.
PortageBay.jpg

Hello Flash and thanks very much for the write up and the cool photo too. This is amazing from what I have thus far. I am printing and taking it on my trip tomorrow to read on the plane...awesome and thank you again.

Andy

Have you had a look see at the Mile Post? You can usually find it at a Barnes
& Noble or amazon.com. Either way it's literally a mile by mile guide to what's
there.

Ian

Don't go without the Milepost. It's a great resource.

Here are the stories of our ride back in 1998. These were "posts from the road" back when the Internet was a new thing. The complete version of this story used to be posted on the BMW MOA site, complete with really nice pics and lots of useful travel advice, but isn't there any more. Musta got lost in the translation. :(

There is no information in our story about the Dalton Highway because we didn't have enough time on our trip. There is information on the Cassiar Higway in BC, which was one of the highlights of our Ride. The Denali Highway was another great ride. Like the Dalton, both of these roads are dirt... but easily rideable on a street bike. (unless it rains)

One word of advice - avoid the Kenai Peninsula during the 4th of July.

Ian

Thank you everybody, and this is all good info and advice. I went out onto the Amazon link and I will order some of those books, I read Flash's report...awesome! And I am pursuing the info and links coming in now. I am very grateful.

dlearl, visian, ian and Bill, thanks, I am looking up your suggestions. My friend and I look to be going up there in 2006 and so this is definitely the data gathering to avoid surprises and avoid missing the good stuff too. Thank you and I will keep following up on the suggestions and advice, again, thanks Andy

I also enjoyed Flash's write up... and will second what he says about Keith Hull.

I "met" Keith via the IBMWR, and corresponded with him extensively about our trip. I also had dinner with him when we rode through. Great, great guy.

Palmer is a nice little town to stay in.

The Colony Inn is a great place to stay in Palmer, but not the cheapest. It's an historic building, B&B, and had an excellent library with lots of historic books.

Palmer is also a good launching point for the long ride home.

Well, we actually only rode to Seward, where we got on the ferry and sailed down to Bellingham, WA. This is a great way to return home... three days of doin' nothin' but watchin' the scenery glide by. :)

Ian

Thanks for the suggestion for the Milepost...wow...what a bargain for that much information! Thanks again this is awesome reading!

Back