• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What have you done to your Wethead today?

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
I like this kind of thread because it is a neat place to show ideas without making a thread for something simple, though you can post whatever you like here.

Mine for today:

Plastidipped the gauges protector on my GSw today. The factory headlight protector shines glare through it. Looks pretty good too!

20150308_162513.jpg

20150308_162506.jpg

20150308_162318.jpg

20150308_162308.jpg

20150308_162258.jpg

Tomorrow will tell if it works as hoped.

Jim :brow

Nice. Is that hard to do? Do you do it with a brush?

Very easy, the two screws you see, then pop it out from under the side wings. Clean it, then wipe it with alcohol, then use Plastidip spray. It is about $7 from the auto parts store. Nice thing is, if you do not like it, it just peals right off.

These two screws:

20150308_162308.jpg

I painted the backside. That lets is have shine and be easy to clean.

Today I set the clock to Daylight Savings Time :laugh

OK, I did it the hard way. I used some GS-9112wifi firmware beta code to set the date/time via my iPad using "cloud services". Cloud services are the functions being tested.

Aired Up The Tires

Moved it out of storage and got it ready for the first ride of the season - 57F in Wisconsin tomorrow! Woohoo!

Swapped in the Wonderlich shifter for a friend:

WL%20Shifter%202.jpg

WL%20Shifter.jpg

Interesting item. Nicely made, with a frictionless roller on the shift lever. Might take some getting used to.

Scratched my head after removing Clearwater kristas from 2005 gs. Ordering new harness with CANopener for 2015 GSA. Now should I get Clearwater Billie rear light too? Or stick with Skene? Does it matter that I don't have the wonder wheel. Queries sent to Clearwater.

Scratched my head after removing Clearwater kristas from 2005 gs. Ordering new harness with CANopener for 2015 GSA. Now should I get Clearwater Billie rear light too? Or stick with Skene? Does it matter that I don't have the wonder wheel. Queries sent to Clearwater.

The CANopener works best with the Wonderwheel. Without it you should stick to the conventional set-up. Funny you mention it though, I have Kristas from my 05GS that I installed conventionally on my GSw, and am now thinking of converting to the CANopener control. I will be installing the Clearwater Billie light on a friend's RT soon, so I will see if it is better than the P3s I have on my GSw.

LED indicator for the Clearwater Lights.

JVB added an LED. If the CANopener is used there isn't an on/off indicator. . .. Very slick install. . ..

I would like to say it was a breeze, but that would be lying! The concept and design was easy, applying it was not so much.

The light:

Erica%20Light%2016.jpg

12 Volt LED with a threaded mount.

Mark the hole and centerpunch it. Make sure you have room on the back side.

Erica%20Light%202.jpg

Erica%20Light%203.jpg

Erica%20Light%204.jpg

Drill the hole, then debur it. I use a larger drill bit on the softer materials.

Erica%20Light%206.jpg

Test fit the light.

Erica%20Light%207.jpg

Install the light on the back, and snug down. This was the hard part. Pulling the headlight would have made it easy, but the LED need significant bodywork removed to do it, so we worked around it. We did pull the instruments to make it easier.

Erica%20Light%208.jpg

Seal the light, and lock the nut on, with shrink tubing. Be careful heating it not to damage the surrounding plastics.

Erica%20Light%2011.jpg

I covered the whole run with wire sheathing to protect it and hide it from view. I tapped the Erica lamp on the left side because it was accessible. You could tap the right if you wanted. I used Positaps because they are the least intrusive. I sealed both ends of the sheathing and sealed them to the Positaps and light as well with shrink tubing.

Erica%20Light%2017.jpg

Night visibility is good from reflection. In daylight you tilt your head a bit and see it fully.

Erica%20Light%2015.jpg

Erica%20Light%2014.jpg

All in all a clean install!

If you have the CANopener, installing the Billie brake light is a breeze. Like 10 to 15 minutes total breeze.

Mount it with the license plate hardware, feed the wire into the tail of the Bike next to the CANopener. Connect two wires with provided posilocks.

Done.

The CANopener works best with the Wonderwheel. Without it you should stick to the conventional set-up. Funny you mention it though, I have Kristas from my 05GS that I installed conventionally on my GSw, and am now thinking of converting to the CANopener control. I will be installing the Clearwater Billie light on a friend's RT soon, so I will see if it is better than the P3s I have on my GSw.

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think I should have added the navigation prep. I'm still waiting on Clearwater's suggestions and now I've already fallen for the LED blinker lights!

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think I should have added the navigation prep. I'm still waiting on Clearwater's suggestions and now I've already fallen for the LED blinker lights!

Just an FYI, it can be added by the dealer, though at a higher cost.

Pulled my lights off to send to Clearwater to replace the plugs so I can get the CANopener. Apparently I have the older set with the green plugs and the new ones are black. They are awesome to work with, just pay for shipping! :thumb

Jim, thanks for being the Plasti-Dip guinea pig. My concern was that since it's really designed to be used on metal that it'd eat the plastic windshield or make it crack or something. I've been looking for an unobtrusive place to mount an EZPass on my RT without having to dismantle the fairing looking for someplace underneath. I've already determined that the side pockets don't work well, nor does a jacket pocket. Back of the windshield works perfectly but now I have this white bar ruining the look of the bike. I'd hate to tear the bike apart then find that under-the fairing didn't' work either, and have to tear it apart again to remove it.

My current plan is to mount it to the dash, then spray Plasti-Dip on the lower part of the windshield to hide it.

Jim, thanks for being the Plasti-Dip guinea pig. My concern was that since it's really designed to be used on metal that it'd eat the plastic windshield or make it crack or something. I've been looking for an unobtrusive place to mount an EZPass on my RT without having to dismantle the fairing looking for someplace underneath. I've already determined that the side pockets don't work well, nor does a jacket pocket. Back of the windshield works perfectly but now I have this white bar ruining the look of the bike. I'd hate to tear the bike apart then find that under-the fairing didn't' work either, and have to tear it apart again to remove it.

My current plan is to mount it to the dash, then spray Plasti-Dip on the lower part of the windshield to hide it.

Funny you mention the EZ pass. I have one in my garage I just Plastidipped to put on a GSAw right behind the GPS. The black should help it blend in, and the windscreen should keep it protected. I'll post photos when I get it installed.

This thread applies more to me if it sounded like this:

she--WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THAT BIKE NOW?

me--nothing hon'

she--HOW MUCH DID THAT COST?

me--oh nothing hon'. They paint it for you for free at the mandatory 6,000mi. check up; the safety check up

she--uhm! WHEN ARE YOU GONNA STOP SPENDING MONEY ON THAT THING

me--what? I didn't do nothing

me--can you make a sandwhich...and bring me a beer hon'

Attachments

• White.angel.jpg
    White.angel.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 859
she--Why don't you leave that thing alone

me--yea, you're right. Where is my sandwhich?

Attachments

• 20150325_180703.jpg
    20150325_180703.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 764
This thread applies more to me if it sounded like this:

she--WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THAT BIKE NOW?

me--nothing hon'

she--HOW MUCH DID THAT COST?

me--oh nothing hon'. They paint it for you for free at the mandatory 6,000mi. check up; the safety check up

she--uhm! WHEN ARE YOU GONNA STOP SPENDING MONEY ON THAT THING

me--what? I didn't do nothing

me--can you make a sandwhich...and bring me a beer hon'

attachment.php

I would like to see more photos of that white beauty!

Back