Thread: Over filled my R1200GSA

Over filled my R1200GSA

So today I decided to take my bike for a ride over to the KTM dealer to get some parts for my dirtbike. Before hoping on my bike and riding off, I checked my oil level. I noticed the oil was a little low so I poured in about 150 ml. Fired up the bike and off I went. I got to the dealer (about 30 miles) and noticed a burning oil smell. Got off the bike and saw oil spilled all over the bottom bash guard. I soaked up what I could. My question is how much is too much oil in a 2007 GSA and where would the oil pour out from if it was overfilled? I did not see much more oil after I cleaned it up and rode home. The oil level was near the top of the window when I got home.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    You can't overfill your bike by adding 150ml unless you have an extra 2 quarts in it already.

Most likely some missed the fill hole and dripped down to the bash guard. Clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

If you in fact overfilled it, then typically there will be some oil in the bottom of the airbox behind the filter. If so, then wipe it out as best you can and Bob's your Uncle.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Well, I found the problem. The oil filter was very very loose. At idle no problems but above 4k oil would seep out. Changed the oil and filter (it was due) problem solved.

For some reason I had thought I had added oil earlier in the week. Hence why I thought I was over filled. Nice to know you have to Really add extra oil to over fill these things.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.