Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: '13 R1200RT starting issue

  1. #31
    i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Solvang, CA
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodadd View Post
    With mine, on the way home I rode into the dealer and complained about it. It was also pinging horribly at any elevation above about 4k feet or so. Long story short, the dealer said several valves were out of adjustment and several of the spark plugs had defective electrodes. I bought my bike last year as a left over and it was due for the 12k service, so they just chalked it up to that. I'm not totally convinced, but it is running better. However, I started noticing the running issues at elevations and around the 10,500 mile mark. I had performed the 6k myself and I do know that several of the valves were tight, but within specs, so hopefully this was a one of a kind deal. Otherwise I can not tolerate a bike that when in need of routine servicing runs horribly.

    This is my 5th beemer and none of the others did this, so I guess I'll see.
    ya might give concentrated Techron a try....1oz to one gallon of premium top shelf fuel.....make take a couple of tanks....

    wyman
    ~wyman~


    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

  2. #32
    Registered User Hodadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    ya might give concentrated Techron a try....1oz to one gallon of premium top shelf fuel.....make take a couple of tanks....

    wyman

    Funny you should mention Techron, because just about the only gas I use is Chevron premium.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

  3. #33
    My 2013 has had this same problem both before and after having the fuel pump replaced under recall from BMW. Below 40F it is very hard to start with a new fully charged battery and following the manual instructions. Above that temp it starts every time. Doing the throttle sensor reset made no difference. So far Iíve eventually been able to get it started, but it has cost me a couple travel days on my long rides. My local dealer has no idea what the problem is. Itís a shame because it is a fantastic bike, but I canít count on it to start when itís cold, so I think Iím going to move up to a LC 2016 or newer.

  4. #34
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,691
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRay View Post
    My 2013 has had this same problem both before and after having the fuel pump replaced under recall from BMW. Below 40F it is very hard to start with a new fully charged battery and following the manual instructions. Above that temp it starts every time. Doing the throttle sensor reset made no difference. So far I’ve eventually been able to get it started, but it has cost me a couple travel days on my long rides. My local dealer has no idea what the problem is. It’s a shame because it is a fantastic bike, but I can’t count on it to start when it’s cold, so I think I’m going to move up to a LC 2016 or newer.
    Any chance you checked it with a scan tool? Sitting cold the fuel trim should be different than when it’s hot. The temperature sensor it what controls this increasing the fuel to supply a “choke” kinda deal.
    I take it all summer- no troubles?
    OM
    BTW, this is an older thread.
    Good luck.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Any chance you checked it with a scan tool? Sitting cold the fuel trim should be different than when itís hot. The temperature sensor it what controls this increasing the fuel to supply a ďchokeĒ kinda deal.
    I take it all summer- no troubles?
    OM
    BTW, this is an older thread.
    Good luck.
    Strange enough all my problems have been in the summer in the low mountains where the temps have fallen to around 40F at night, or in the early fall. I had the same problem in the Phoenix area 3 times last winter when the temp fell to 38F at 1,800' above sea level, so I assume it's not altitude related. Engine turns over fine but the bike won't start. Once it warms up to over 45F it starts up. Dealer can't find anything wrong. I can't have a bike that limits when I can travel because of temperature.

  6. #36
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,691
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRay View Post
    Strange enough all my problems have been in the summer in the low mountains where the temps have fallen to around 40F at night, or in the early fall. I had the same problem in the Phoenix area 3 times last winter when the temp fell to 38F at 1,800' above sea level, so I assume it's not altitude related. Engine turns over fine but the bike won't start. Once it warms up to over 45F it starts up. Dealer can't find anything wrong. I can't have a bike that limits when I can travel because of temperature.
    If the dealer canít get the bike to the cold temperatures, probably hard for them to diagnose. Perhaps someone will chime in with the location of the sensor on that bike.
    I remember in the old days we could boil the thermostat and watch it work- or not.

    I would check the sensor.

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    If the dealer canít get the bike to the cold temperatures, probably hard for them to diagnose. Perhaps someone will chime in with the location of the sensor on that bike.
    I remember in the old days we could boil the thermostat and watch it work- or not.

    I would check the sensor.

    OM
    Does anyone know which sensor this is and where itís located?

  8. #38
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    748
    It's in the air box. but DON'T BOIL it. You will need to know what the correct temperature/output voltage to test it, without verifying values I would not just start changing parts. Scan tool should show values if you have one or can borrow one. Can you hear the fuel pump when the bike is cold, a replaced fuel pump is not a guarantee of a good fuel pump. May want to do a cold fuel pressure and flow test to verify fuel delivery is not an issue.

    Good luck these problems are a PITA to figure out sometimes.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    It's in the air box. but DON'T BOIL it. You will need to know what the correct temperature/output voltage to test it, without verifying values I would not just start changing parts. Scan tool should show values if you have one or can borrow one. Can you hear the fuel pump when the bike is cold, a replaced fuel pump is not a guarantee of a good fuel pump. May want to do a cold fuel pressure and flow test to verify fuel delivery is not an issue.

    Good luck these problems are a PITA to figure out sometimes.
    Since it only happens below a certain temperature I assume it has to related to a temperature sensor not operating correctly ?
    I do hear the fuel pump pressure up normally (I assume) at key turn.
    You are correct. It is a PITA.

    I should ad that I first had this problem with the original fuel pump last summer before the new pump was installed by BMW under recall. The cold start issue continues with the new fuel pump, which leads me to believe it’s caused by something else. Could be wrong, but this seems to make sense to me.
    Last edited by RTRay; 10-04-2022 at 12:05 AM.

  10. #40
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRay View Post
    Since it only happens below a certain temperature I assume it has to related to a temperature sensor not operating correctly ?
    I do hear the fuel pump pressure up normally (I assume) at key turn.
    You are correct. It is a PITA.

    I should ad that I first had this problem with the original fuel pump last summer before the new pump was installed by BMW under recall. The cold start issue continues with the new fuel pump, which leads me to believe it’s caused by something else. Could be wrong, but this seems to make sense to me.
    Ray,
    I don't believe your bike has a MAF sensor so I presume the inlet air temperature sensor and a barometric pressure sensor report this information to the ECM, the computer then performs the necessary calculation and adjusts the fuel supply to match the quantity of air being pumped into the engine. Maybe try locating the sensor and unplugging it and have a look at the plug see if there's any corrosion present.

    I feel for you man, these things can be a PITA for sure. Do you have a GS-911 or access to one? One of these scan tools would give you some real time data with the bike cold may give you a few more clues.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Ray,
    I don't believe your bike has a MAF sensor so I presume the inlet air temperature sensor and a barometric pressure sensor report this information to the ECM, the computer then performs the necessary calculation and adjusts the fuel supply to match the quantity of air being pumped into the engine. Maybe try locating the sensor and unplugging it and have a look at the plug see if there's any corrosion present.

    I feel for you man, these things can be a PITA for sure. Do you have a GS-911 or access to one? One of these scan tools would give you some real time data with the bike cold may give you a few more clues.
    It is very frustrating. The bike is nearly perfect in every other way. However, this refusal to start in cold temperatures is a deal breaker if it canít be fixed.

  12. #42
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRay View Post
    It is very frustrating. The bike is nearly perfect in every other way. However, this refusal to start in cold temperatures is a deal breaker if it canít be fixed.
    To be clear, you ARE opening the throttle a little bit for a cold start?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    To be clear, you ARE opening the throttle a little bit for a cold start?
    Yes. I actually read the manual. It doesn’t help.

    There’s actually a video on YouTube of a 2014 having the same problem starting in the cold. The guy never could get it fixed so he traded the bike and got an F800GT.

    My 22 year old R1100RT with 96,000+ miles will start well below freezing every time I hit the start button.
    It’s still my favorite bike ever.
    Last edited by RTRay; 10-04-2022 at 11:57 AM.

  14. #44
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRay View Post
    Yes. I actually read the manual. It doesn’t help.

    There’s actually a video on YouTube of a 2014 having the same problem starting in the cold. The guy never could get it fixed so he traded the bike and got an F800GT.

    My 22 year old R1100RT with 96,000+ miles will start well below freezing every time I hit the start button.
    It’s still my favorite bike ever.
    Just verifying. Many people can read but not understand.

    The 2013 Camhead and the 2014 Wethead use different fueling systems so I would not necessarily expect the solution to a cold start problem to be the same.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Just verifying. Many people can read but not understand.

    The 2013 Camhead and the 2014 Wethead use different fueling systems so I would not necessarily expect the solution to a cold start problem to be the same.
    This is what it does until the temp warms to above 43-45F.

    https://youtu.be/9ySX84qagoA
    Last edited by RTRay; 10-08-2022 at 03:42 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •