• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Late winter early spring riding this year

Roadkill601

This past Sunday in Poconos northeast Pennsylvania we had an early taste of spring temps (39 degrees) close enough ...so shoveled out a path from garage to road and prepared to head out. I had 4 layers on head sock, winter ridding gloves, stretchy under layer a fleece middle layer and Olympia outer layer. I was not cold at all and it was a really excellent ride so neat to be ridding after a fresh snow. Lots of crap on the road meant excellent sliding corners here and there.

The F800gs with fresh tkc80's is just a blast to ride. Could not go on any of my favorite local dirt roads as they were completely snow covered.... although makes me want for tire studs. But had a great day and looking forward to the next. I highly recommend a spring blast while snow is on the ground (no the road), it was really amazing outside and some of my most familiar roads looked new to me with the snow everywhere.

Couple things to watch out for... cars press the center cause not much shoulder with the snow. Of course watch for ice especially in the low sun areas like behind hills or areas that stay shaded. stick to the bigger roads if there is to much snow. But if the roads has just a little slush here and there you can usually find nice lines through. At the end of your ride head to the car wash and give it a good rinsing to get all salt, mud, snow all cleaned off, also cant really stay out much past 3 or so cause when the sun goes down..... yikes it gets cold fast.... so best get home and have a nice beer or other libation and revel in the great I got out to ride feeling.

Enjoy.

Late winter early spring ridding this year, late April, likely May.

I am beginning to have a sincere doubt that the BMWMOA members remember that they love riding in Canada and post comments like the OP without any regard to the wonderful other members that live in Canada.

My feeling sometimes gets hurt.

You should be thoughtful and pass condolences in your comments about riding where live when your fellow members are looking at another week or so of -17C and windchill to -35C.

So I remain conscious of the differences between our goofy Metric system and Imperial systems, I well tell you the difference between -17C and -17F. The answer is "who cares? It's cold!"

On the bright side of having long winters, good hockey, good friends, warm fires, beer store is never empty and I got my new tires today so I have lots of time to mount them.

Back