• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pocono winter ride

Roadkill601

This past Sunday in Poconos northeast Pennsylvania we had a early taste of spring temps 39 degrees close enough ...so shoveled out a path from garage to road and headed out. I had 4 layers on, head sock winter ridding gloves stretchy under layer with fleece middle layer. I was not cold at all and it was a really excellent ride, so neat to be ridding after a fresh snow. Lots of crap on the road meant excellent sliding corners hear and there.

The F800gs with fresh tkc80's is just a blast to ride. Could not go on any of my favorite local dirt roads as they were completely snow covered.... although makes me want for tire studs. But had a great t day and looking forward to the next. I highly recommend a spring blast while snow is on the ground (no the road), it was really amazing outside and some of my most familiar roads looked new to me with the snow everywhere.

Couple things to watch out for... cars press the center cause not much shoulder with the snow. Of course watch for ice especially in the low sun areas like behind hills or areas that stay shaded. stick to the bigger roads if there is to much snow. But if the roads has just a little slush here and there you can usually find nice lines through. At the end of your ride head to the car wash and give it a good rinsing to get all salt, mud, snow all cleaned off, also cant really stay put much past 3 or so cause when the sun goes down..... yikes it gets cold fast.... so best get home and have a nice beer or other libation and revel in the great I got out to ride feeling.

Enjoy.

My only Pocono winter rides have been on skis. :)

Cold temps and heavily salted roads have keep me off the roads this month. Hoping for some rain to melt some snow and wash the roads.

Glad somebody got out, it was a nice day finally. I can do the temps but hate the salt and I'm to lazy to wash after every ride this year.
Good tips in your last paragraph Roadkill.

I remember riding in NE PA but mine was largely summers and POT HOLES were the problem. That said, now living in the south, we get more riding in than in Penn. but I side with Kristopher, the salt keeps me from riding a great deal in the winter. Just don't want to mess up the workings of the bike.

Back