• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bicycle carrier

wvcajun

Certified Speed Freak
Anybody know of someone or some company that makes bicycle carriers or mounts that fits motorcycles, specifically a K1200GT? I saw one at Beemerville, but it was homeade. Maybe someone with ties to Deutchland would know of such a thing. If I can carry my bike with me on my bike, I may never take my cage again. PLEASE HELP!

wvcajun :bikes

Anything else

I talked to that guy in OR. He no longer makes them to send out. He said he would do it if I could see him in person. No dice because I live in WV and work for a living.

Anyone else have any ideas? I am not the "custom fabricate it" kind of guy.

wvcajun :bikes

If you go through KBasa's gallery of photos from the Lima Rally linked to this website, I believe you will find some photos of a K1200RS/GT with an aluminum bicycle carrier bolted to the right rear.

I think that is where I saw them. :brow

Fred

CAUTIOUSLY stepping to the fore...

1> I have family in Morgantown, and am easily influenced into a visit that way.

2> I have the (occasionally dubious) reputation of Really Custom fab work (see MOA 3/04 & 9/04).

As to methodology:
> pictures of bicycle & scooter, especially relevant attachment areas;
> desired carrying position, including any "knockdown" aspects (ie: front wheel detached, etc);
> ancillary considerations: ease of removal/attachment, center of gravity & wind loading aspects;

Then to the bottom line: What's your pain ($) threshold? I can be reasonably flexible, and have some fair leeway in timing & expensing writeoffs. However, a cheap answer that fails is usually Much more expensive than a good (but higher priced) answer.

Stupid Truth: IMHO: you live in an area that is capable of magnificent creativity. I think a little "homework" in your area will yield a fabrication shop that will see it as you want, and can do it as well. If I'm wrong (no news break here), email me directly & we'll see where the next best answer resides. Good Hunting... <<<)))

P.S. As for bicycling, I'm a fan.... ever heard of a Kestrel frameset?

CustomSarge

I think I will try to draw up some plans and try to get someone around here to fab it up. My design would be very simple but it is just getting the right materials and getting them attached together properly that is the tough part.
And yes I like Kestrel bikes also. I had a picture of their 1st monocoque CF frame back in the mid to late 80s. I have never ridden one, but I am still hoping.

THanks

wvcajun :thumb

You might want to contact Tygart River Enterprizes. They make racks for 4 wheeled vehicles and he is willing to do custom work. With a few picks and a conversation he might be able to come up with something for a motorcycle.

www.tygartriver.com

Back