• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Basecamp for Garmin

Wethead

So I downloaded this program but it does not have any streets. Do I have to buy the North America map in order to make routes in the US?

Sort of. Connect your Garmin GPS, jump through some registration hoops IIRC, and the maps will be transferred to Basecamp.

Plus go into advanced settings and click the box to download to the computer as well. So you can plan without having the Nav connected.

Yeah, what everyone said. The Basecamp program is just sort of a shell. The maps themselves are linked to your unit. If you don't have a unit with maps on them or a map subscription, you can buy them separately. I ended up buying them for the version of Basecamp on the laptop that travel with even though the unit itself installed them on my desktop. And do remember as just stated, for some inexplicable reason when you update maps, the default setting is to install them only on the GPS device instead of the device and the computer. But if you have different versions on your GPS and computer, it can cause problems when you design and upload routes.

Just to clarify.

1) plug the GPS into the computer and let the computer see it
2) Run Garmin Express
3) Select install or reinstall maps
4) In the install or reinstall maps box, click "advanced options"
5) From the pull down menu, select "device and computer" or "computer only"

OSM maps

I created a free map of the U.S. at an OSM site. I don't use a Garmin unit. The chart is navigable just as the garmin maps, has the same level of detail and can be used in the very same way, at least as far as I can see. I use my iPad mini and now iPhone 6+ for my guidance.

OSM maps

I created a free map of the U.S. at an OSM site. I don't use a Garmin unit. The chart is navigable just as the garmin maps, has the same level of detail and can be used in the very same way, at least as far as I can see. I use my iPad mini and now iPhone 6+ for my guidance.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Last edited:
Back