Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slippery seat

Slippery seat

I have a 2008 R1200 GS and picked up a used Sargent seat that I like a lot. Most of the time I wear 1st Gear HT over pants and am happy with them. The problem is that my butt doesn't stick to the seat very well. In fact, it doesn't stick at all. Has anyone found a solution to this problem

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    On that type of thing, I have found an occasional application of hair-spray helps. Hair-spray uses Propane as a propellent so you may want to test for discoloration before dressing the whole seat.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I suspect the slipperyness arises due to a prior application of some substance - Armorall and similar substances intended to make the seat all pretty come to mind. Thus, before I tried anything else I would treat the seat to a good old fashioned scrubbing with hot soapy water.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Marine By Choice #188306
    Or use the glue that has been discussed on the back of the new membership cards
    "Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
    "Son, you can't do both."

Rally Rat

Smile

Have owned several Sargent seats (all of which were great and I miss them, though I am making friends with my new Mustang), and they are normally a bit slick (due to a denser foam construction than most competitors) until you get about 2-3k in the saddle - then just fine.

Since you bought used, try some Formula 409 spray to vigorously clean the seat. Being a pump-bottle, no 'propellants' to worry about, and should dissolve whatever may have been applied by a previous owner.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    On that type of thing, I have found an occasional application of hair-spray helps. Hair-spray uses Propane as a propellent so you may want to test for discoloration before dressing the whole seat.
    OM
    I use hair spray as an adhesive to glue motocycle handgrips to the bars. I would be a bit hesitant to spray it on a seat. But, I've never tried it so ?????????
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

na1g
    The OP doesn't say whether the Sargent is covered in leather or the waffle-pattern vinyl. Care should be used in cleaning leather but the vinyl could be scrubbed with a soft brush and detergent/water. Or maybe you applied some water repellent to your riding suit and that is making it slippery?

pete

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    The OP doesn't say whether the Sargent is covered in leather or the waffle-pattern vinyl. Care should be used in cleaning leather but the vinyl could be scrubbed with a soft brush and detergent/water. Or maybe you applied some water repellent to your riding suit and that is making it slippery?

pete
    I don't believe Sargent uses leather - strictly marine-grade vinyl.

I've a Sargent on my dr650. I believe it uses the same fabric as that for the beemers (Carbon FX?). I find that if I'm wearing my AD1 pants from Aerostich the saddle is just about perfect. However, if I'm wearing my cordura Roadcrafter suit my butt tends to slide all over the place. It is a very noticeable difference, especially when going down hills. I've considered putting a sheepskin over the DR saddle. I've got one on my stock GS saddle. No slip and slide on the sheepskin regardless of the gear being worn.

RK Ryder
    I seem to be in the other camp, maybe because of my short inseam.

I prefer a slippery seat. I hate been stuck to a seat, especially when coming to a stop and need to slide the left leg to plant my foot on the ground. For me, slippery also facilitates sliding my weight around approaching and leaving curves.

If and when this snow melts, I'll be starting my 10 riding season with no unexpected slippery fly offs so far.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Alaska leather sheepskin. Never ride without it. It is worth every penny

Guess the OP isn't interested in knee dragging or putting talcum powder on his seat to facilitate moving around a la road racers!

Perhaps he could purchase leathers.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Slippery seat

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try scrubbing with the warm soapy water first, then if that doesn't work, the 409 and maybe the hair spray next. But first I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit. When it finally stays up in the 20's for a couple of days, I'll heat up the shop and give it a shot

+ one for alaska leather sheepskin...it works great

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I have the sme (slippery) issue with my new Sargeant seat with my BMW Rallaye pants. I am already on tiptoes due to the higher than OEM Sargeant seat and am wondering how much higher a sheepskin would be. Any feedback?
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo