• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

cylinder protectors

DENKAR55

Does anyone know if BMW make cylinder head guards for the 2014 R1200RT WC?

I know there are many "after market" guards. Just wondering.

Thanks

Dennis

From BMW parts fiche, accessory section:

77 14 8 533 745 SET: SET, VALVE COVER GUARDS, STAINLESS STEEL $265.95

Cylinder-head cover protector made of special steel. Excellent protection for the cylinder-head cover, preventing scratches and damage caused by flying stones. Plastic contact guard at outside. Large rubber buffer on inside BMW Motorrad logo on contact guard. Note: Also suitable for R1200GS (K50) (not in combination with special-steel crash bars).​

FWIW, the RTW is K52, GSAW is K51

IMHO, the SS protectors do not look that great, especially on an RT. I do like the looks and function of the machineartmoto ones though.

GSAccessories19.jpg

They work well too!

Damage11.jpg

Jim :brow

The damaged area above (Machineartmoto guards) can be replaced on the BMW guard saving big dollars should you have a mishap

Jay

The damaged area above (Machineartmoto guards) can be replaced on the BMW guard saving big dollars should you have a mishap

Jay

How much is the piece, show pictures.

In my experience, the BMW, and other, metal guards get deformed and either never fit right again, can't be repaired, or are a pain to install. The MAM guards are $189. I'm not sure how "big bucks" will be saved on the BMW guards. Besides, the MAM guard does not need to be replaced. It is still structurally sound and cleaned up nicely.

In my experience, the BMW, and other, metal guards get deformed and either never fit right again, can't be repaired, or are a pain to install. The MAM guards are $189. I'm not sure how "big bucks" will be saved on the BMW guards. Besides, the MAM guard does not need to be replaced. It is still structurally sound and cleaned up nicely.

Hi Jim,

I don't know how they hold up under a crash but a simple parking lot drop this is easily fixed at a low cost. See attached.

View attachment Cover.pdf

Jay

Jim,

Can you tell us where to find instructions on how to clean up gouged marked plastic. My attempts in the past on a System Case didn't satisfy me.

Thanks,
Jay

From BMW parts fiche, accessory section:

77 14 8 533 745 SET: SET, VALVE COVER GUARDS, STAINLESS STEEL $265.95

Cylinder-head cover protector made of special steel. Excellent protection for the cylinder-head cover, preventing scratches and damage caused by flying stones. Plastic contact guard at outside. Large rubber buffer on inside BMW Motorrad logo on contact guard. Note: Also suitable for R1200GS (K50) (not in combination with special-steel crash bars).​

FWIW, the RTW is K52, GSAW is K51

Same one I have . Like it a lot

Jim,

Can you tell us where to find instructions on how to clean up gouged marked plastic. My attempts in the past on a System Case didn't satisfy me.

Thanks,
Jay

Different material. Besides, you are talking about fixing a system case that is smooth and no texture. The MAMs have a texture that fairly hides the damage. I used a bit of sand paper and a heat gun, then topped off with a protectant product. They are not perfect, but look good from a few feet away, and still very tough.

Until I see a set of the BMW ones for the Wethead, I can't fully judge them, but I have strong doubts they work as well.

But, based on this photo, it is likely they will deform when they go down.

77148533745_R200RT_CylinderHeadProtectors.JPG

Plus, they obviously provide less coverage than the MAM protectors. I am particularly dubious about the front bolt being so exposed. On mine that is exactly where the ground met the cover.

That said, pick what you like, this is all just my opinion.

Unfortunately I field tested the BMW covers. Following a rider for hours of rolling stop signs at an all clear intersection he decides to stop. I was already committed to doing a rolling stop turn, the pavement fell way so when I stop to avoid hitting him my feet didn't touch until the bike went down.

IMG_0887.jpg

The damage to the cover was light only to the replaceable plastic. The cover to the mirror and the side bag got damaged. It was all light but enough that I replaced with all new parts. I've since installed a set of Wunderlich protection bars and have the covers off the bike, I may sell them since they only need cleaning (it's amazing where bugs show up) up and replace the marked plastic for less the $20.

Jay

Back