• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Disappointed and Discouraged in BMW

Question: what vintage car do you drive? It is without question that modern cars are far superior in reliability than those of 30 or more years ago despite being "more complex." Would you really want to go back to distributors with centrifugal weights to adjust advance, and points to set and which wear and change timing? If newer cars are better, why wouldn't newer bikes be better?

I have a 2008 Ford Escape and a 2011 Mustang GT/CS with a Borla Attack exhaust system, I'll have you know, that my neighbors just can't get enough of:). On the 10 year old escape all I've had to do is replace the battery and new tires last year. Technological improvements that actually accomplish something like improve longevity I have no problem with but gizmo related nonsense just to sell cars or whatever I think is a joke.

To answer your question: Yes, I would love to be able to adjust my points and timing again. IMO simple is always better. I took a great deal of personal pride in having an extremely smooth running and reliable airhead that I could point to and say "look what I can do". I absolutely drool over the restored R90S the MOA is raffling off.

Technology has its place and is a good thing but only to a point. My neighbor with the gen3 FJR also has a new Kia luxury car with just about every whistle and bell you can imagine. He absolutely insisted I drive this car which i really didn't want to at all me being somewhat Ford oriented and not at all interested in his car. Anyway, I drive this gizmo loaded thing about 30 miles and while it has all these gizmos like smart cruise control and power this and that with displays that wink and blink the road noise was excessive, steering was vague, seat comfort sucked, and I could go on but by now you hopefully get what I'm trying to say. Oh, and then I pointed out the obvious orange peel paint job on his Kia. That really went over well, not! Best car I ever owned was a '69 VW bug that had a speedometer a gas gauge and a couple idiot lights, all I could ask for. At about 50K miles she needed a valve job. So on a Saturday morning I took off both heads in about an hour and payed, I think, about 50 bucks for an exchange rebuilt set at my VeeDub dealer and was sipping a cool one that afternoon whilst listening to the sweet sounds coming from my bug. I long for those days of simplicity and sense of accomplishment. AND NO SOCIAL MEDIA! Excuse the shout.:)

Look at the reliability of Formula 1 cars. These are arguably the most sophisticated, high tech cars on the planet and stressed to the max. Mercedes (Hamilton) recent mechanical failure rate over the past few years has been 6%. The average mechanical failure rate in the 90's was around 25%.

Look at the reliability of Formula 1 cars. These are arguably the most sophisticated, high tech cars on the planet and stressed to the max. Mercedes (Hamilton) recent mechanical failure rate over the past few years has been 6%. The average mechanical failure rate in the 90's was around 25%.

And all it took to keep two cars on the track was a budget of $580,000,000.

For the record I don't own a cell phone and I don't have satellite or cable TV.... That's maybe why I see the futility in so much of this stuff...

And it uses up life energy in learning how to operate the stuff.

A few months ago I was unable to even complete an online form to renew my passport. My secretary had to help me. And last week, it took me a whole hour to update my passport information in Nexus' Trusted Traveller program (I did get through that without help, but it was really tough). I just don't need the aggro, and besides that, most of the new technology doesn't interest me.

While I wouldn't mind learning how to operate the controls on a new RS, my 2005 ST is a near perfect bike, so I don't need to. And for many of our members, their older BMWs are just perfect for them. There's an elegance to the functionality of, say, a K75, or an Airhead, or an Oiler.

Last edited:
It isn't so much having to learn new "technology" it's constantly having to RE-learn it every time a new piece of replacement equipment is introduced. My BIGGEST pet-peeve ... passwords; how many do we all have to keep recorded somewhere, and HOW OFTEN DO WE HAVE TO FRK'N CHANGE THEM (no "repeats" allowed). And even then I have to receive a text message on my phone every time I want to access my online bank account using my desktop computer.

Apologies for the topic drift, but...
stir.jpg

OK, I bought a new Sony 4K "smart" TV a year ago that has an Android operating system and I receive these mostly ridiculous PIA software or firmware updates constantly. For the most part these updates interest me NOT! Now it's games and apps that I could care less about. I bought a 4K TV for its superior picture quality and not for a bunch of whistles and bells! Android OS, what a joke!

Here's another sad tale. My '93 R1100RSL with its 2.2 Motronic has what you might call a computer glitch that effects virtually all early oilheads. To cold start my RS I have to slightly crack open the throttle and allow the engine to turn over two or 3 times then allow it to rest for a couple seconds then hit the starter again and she fires right up. In the good old times I could tune out this minor problem at minimal cost to me now the fix is to throw about $2.3K at BMW for the latest version of the 2.2 Motronic. Another problem common to early oilheads is lean burn surging. The fix is to install a wideband O2 sensor with LC-2 ECU interface and with your laptop program a richer closed loop air fuel ratio. The LC-2 costs around $150 or you could install an AF-XIED unit for around $185 that will accomplish pretty much the same thing with no need to use a laptop for programming. Now, again, in years past one could just change the jets in one's Bing carburetors for cheap and simply tune out the issue and with a sense of accomplishment sit in the shade and crack open a coolie. Or, I guess, I could visit my friendly beemer dealer and fork over $23K for the latest and greatest. Oh, and then man my wallet for a valve adjustment and a 600 mile service for how much? Yeah, technology how much i love it, let me count the ways......

I rest my freaking case and end of rant!

It's good when we have a choice.

I always say "When given a choice, take both." I like my 2013 GS Rallye and my 1992 R100RS. The one I like best is whichever one I am riding at the time. The GS has been as reliable as a cast iron belt buckle. The R100RS goes to Maine every year from Georgia and has yet to come back in a U-Haul van. I hear all the horror stories, but don't have any of my own to add after about 600,000 miles on beemers starting in 1977 with a new blue R100RS. I like my 1993 K1100RS too and it seems more modern in character than the 2013 GS. It is down for a frame-up refresh at the moment. Not because it broke, but because I maintain motorcycles as if they were helicopters. Part of the hobby for me. Tomorrow, for giggles, I will pick up a new-to-me 1970 R75/5.

And if I need to run to the hardware store, there is the Yamaha TMax scooter. I'd hate to only have one era of motorcycle in the garage. I can see the advantages and limitations of each level of technology. They all have something to offer if you are willing to pay the price of admission, which is different (but there) in every case.

Last edited:
Good attitude Lee.:) Just bought my R90S tickets, man that bike is sweet! I sold my R100RT (81) a couple years ago and I do miss the simple beast but at the same time I enjoy my pristine and somewhat technical R1100RSL and even the FastJapaneseRocket that's parked beside her. Now, all I need is an airhead.

...Now, all I need is an airhead.

Lots of riders have "moved on" from airheads and "never looked back". Well, different strokes, I thought I had "moved on" but I was wrong. Having corrected my error, there will forevermore be an airhead in my rotation. I gave a 1976 R75/6 to my son and when I quit exchanging O2 for CO2 he will get the rest of them.

Great jump to a great topic not restricted to BMW. It seems progress always keeps re-inventing itself. As if a newer type of cheerio is better. Technology can eventually exhaust itself. It can bite.

A friend's wife crashed new bike into rear of a cage while trying to fiddle with riding mode. Seriously, shocks have been externally adjustable for decades. Depending on where you're going, what's the load and how you ride. Click click, off you go. The solution to this assumed problem? A click click on the handlebar. And in this case, boom, boom. And the list could go on with other examples of gizmos which take yer eyes and mind off the riding.

That's always my personal concern. Safety. Concentrate, look ahead, check behind, speed, how does the bike feel, sound, how do I feel, getting thirsty, maybe tired, whoa, watch that cage ahead, are they texting?, is that weather ahead, back to the road.......look at a map?

Well, need a break, I'll check the map then, hit the loo and have some water.....same with bike to bike communication.....old hand signals and pre-ride understanding always suffice.

We live on the precipice AI screaming forward at speed. Do we know where we are headed? What constitutes the joy of the ride? How much more happy can a rider be? Maybe AI doing the riding while we sit pillion? Where is it going? New thread?

Wow some have a bleak outlook on tech. Most is good and has vastly improved our lives and safety: active suspensions, cornering ABS, helmet comms, etc. Sorry but taking your hands off the bars, getting the attention of your fellow riders and making hand signals is the less safe option than using voice activated comms. Additionally I feel for the rider that crashed and hope they were not hurt but fiddling with controls when their eyes should be elsewhere is the fault of the operator, not the technology. Tech has improved our situational awareness and safety but it is still up to the operator to exercise due care, prioritize tasks and manage risk.

Wow some have a bleak outlook on tech. Most is good and has vastly improved our lives and safety: active suspensions, cornering ABS, helmet comms, etc. Sorry but taking your hands off the bars, getting the attention of your fellow riders and making hand signals is the less safe option than using voice activated comms. Additionally I feel for the rider that crashed and hope they were not hurt but fiddling with controls when their eyes should be elsewhere is the fault of the operator, not the technology. Tech has improved our situational awareness and safety but it is still up to the operator to exercise due care, prioritize tasks and manage risk.

I do agree that technology has improved our lives but not vastly. When it comes to vehicle reliability I agree but when it comes to the internet not so much. The internet is a double edged sword especially where this so-called social media is concerned. As far as personal safety is concerned distracted driving is rampant and is causing me to seriously question wether or not I will continue riding a motorcycle at all. Oh, and when I refer to vehicle reliability that does not include frivolous gizmos that perform no vital function at all like SUV lift gates that open when you stick your foot under the rear bumper. That kind of thing is just another sales gimmick and anyone that looks upon it as anything more than that, wellll.......:banghead

Excuse me while I go out and retrieve my low tech but informative morning PRINTED newspaper.

To each their own choices. For me the simpler the better. I don't even like to have the radio on when driving. Self-canceleding turn signals were nice. 90 horses are about right. iPads are nice. Ear protection is nice, ear buds not so much. Fixing yer bike just for you is nice. BMW is a good place to start. Thanx BMW.

Also am happy seeing the young finding an old airhead and simply making it their own. The antithesis and synthesis of progress. A twofer.

Excuse me while I go out and retrieve my low tech but informative morning PRINTED newspaper.

Well, I fear that's going to be the next to go. The biggest chain in Canada is on its last legs. Hopefully the Globe & Mail can survive.

Well, I fear that's going to be the next to go. The biggest chain in Canada is on its last legs. Hopefully the Globe & Mail can survive.

I'm afraid you're correct. Our local newspaper (Eugene, OR Register - Guard) has just been sold to a NY based conglomerate. This saddens me greatly as the guard has been locally owned by the Baker family since 1927 and is a wonderful paper that my grandparents were reading from the 1930s until they passed and I've been reading the guard since I learned to read beginning with the cartoons of course.:)

Wow some have a bleak outlook on tech. Most is good and has vastly improved our lives and safety: active suspensions, cornering ABS, helmet comms, etc..

Not a bleak outlook on tech, perhaps an objective outlook on tech would be a better descriptor. Some is good, much is simply frivolous.

You mentioned electronic suspension: The ESA on my GS cost an additional $800, but in my honest opinion has not delivered much additional value at all. It still doesn't have the tuneability of a 20 year old Suzuki DR350, In reality the bike handles no better than a non-ESA GS, and it will cost a small fortune when (not if) the shocks eventually need to be replaced. But the button on the handlebar and the display on the dash looked cool so I fell for it in the showroom. We live and learn.

... and it will cost a small fortune when (not if) the shocks eventually need to be replaced.

Talk with Ted Porter about a Wilbers conversion of your OEM ESA shocks. Costs less than new standard shocks for a non-ESA bike DSC04944-M.jpgand works G-r-r-r-r-eat!

Back