Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Disappointed and Discouraged in BMW

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    With regards to the engine, it sounds like the exhaust valve disintegrated. And that's typically not to be expected on a low mileage bike even at nine years. Many manufacturers do come up to the plate with at least partial reimbursement outside of the warranty if it is determined to be a manufacturing defect. I've had vehicles fail under warranty and I've had to agree to the cost of the tear down if the cause is determined not be manufacturer defect. BMW did offer to possibly pay if the exact cause was determined. You chose not to tear down the motor to find out the cause. BMW was saying in some circumstances they would pay some portion of the bill, depending on what the cause was. I don't think it would have taken that long to pull the head and cylinder on the damaged side to figure out the cause. If you wanted BMW to pick up part of the cost, you should have paid to determine the exact cause of the failure, in my opinion. Why should any company pay for a repair when the cause is unknown?
    I didn't put in all the details. The BMW rep said they would kick in $400-500 if, after tearing the engine down, it was found to be a manufacturing defect. The service manager said it would cost me around $700 for them to do it. So I would have lost $200-300, if BMW decided to pay off, which was not guaranteed. What would you do under those circumstances?
    Bruce N8UTY
    2006 R1200RT

If I wanted to keep the bike I would pay for the teardown if I wanted BMW to even think about helping. It has to be torn down for repair either way and that shop time is not free.

If I wanted to keep the bike and not looking for fault, I would tear it down myself and be riding or letting it go.

Most of us realize it sucks to have a fairly low in BMW averages mileage bike let go, but after warranty is over it's a tougher stance to take to expect any help. If BMW finds a failed part, good for you as any help is better than none.
    You just never know how those previous 40K were operated. Even with service records, no knowledge of a overheat/sit in traffic occurrence a few times or the driving styles of previous owners.

We have many second owner bikes with a lot more mileage, only Helen's '02 lost a chunk of valve at 104K...I am waiting on the heads to come back on that one. My 09 Hexhead did break a valve early in it's life under original warranty and I still had some cost on my part to get it back. Didn't keep me from getting another one.

Threads like this seem to derail often, especially in Winter.

Sorry for your woes, it is part of owning anything with a motor in it.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brucen8uty View Post
    What would you do under those circumstances?
    I'd fix it. Its not worth much in non-running condition.

Quote Originally Posted by brucen8uty View Post
    I didn't put in all the details. The BMW rep said they would kick in $400-500 if, after tearing the engine down, it was found to be a manufacturing defect. The service manager said it would cost me around $700 for them to do it. So I would have lost $200-300, if BMW decided to pay off, which was not guaranteed. What would you do under those circumstances?
    I would not teardown the whole engine, but rather I'd have them pull the head, piston and cylinder on the damaged side. I'm not familiar with the Oilheads, so I can't really comment. But removing the head on an airhead is about 15-20 min-max and I can't imagine an expert mechanic should be able to take the head of in less than an hour if not a half an hour. The comment I always hear is how quick and easy it is to remove the head and/or cylinder on these boxers. With the head and cylinder off, they should have been able to give you enough information if additional teardown was warranted. I don't know what the hourly rate is where you live, but for me it would be about $100 gamble, and that would have been worth it to me.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I'd fix it. Its not worth much in non-running condition.
    He did fix the bike. He chose to replace the engine with a good use engine, if I remember correctly.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer