• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

how to torque transmission allen head mounting bolts ??? Late model airhead

r80andr100rt

I don't see any way to get a torque wrench on these allen head screws. What do you guys do? The only idea I can come up with is to torque a bolt some where else to get the "feel" of how tight they should be then wing it by feel. :scratch

I'm not sure exactly which allen heads you're speaking of, but if there's clearance to get the torque wrench in there, they make allen wrench adapters for torque wrenches. If there's no room, with some machining, one could build an extension to the torque wrench but then you would have to adjust your torque values depending on the change in length. For other places, one that I can think of such as the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the transmission output flange, usually what works successfully is blue Loctite and a good "grunt" with a regular tool kit wrench. In your situation, possible some Loctite and a good enough attempt to tighten the head would probably work.

Allen-head socket. Proper length extension. 3/8" drive torque wrench.

e.g. metric allen, of course

franklin-hex-allen-key-socket-3-8-drive-choose-sizes-3mm-10mm-1354-p.jpg

And possibly even mo' betta... . "Ball end" allen sockets. Although if you get too far off of "perpendicular" it will affect torque values somewhat.

41HtcdlHjCL._SX466_.jpg

...as opposed to "running it in until is smokes, then back off a quarter turn..." :stick

Ended up with " calibrated wrist" method. There is no way to get a proper tool on this without sawing off the shifter linkage boss.

Yeah, this is one of those locations that I try and remember how difficult it was to break it loose and then repeat that on installation. Hopefully, it's not a long time between those points. But certainly snug is good here...and it's easy enough to recheck a few times after some heat cycles...if it's still tight, ya done good!

Hexhead fasteners seem to me to be among the easiest to bugger up. It is important that you use good tools made of quality steel and with crisp edges. I supose that is why BMW went with Torex fasteners on the newer machines.

I agree the torque level isn't that critical as there's plenty of thread engagement and it is a static application.

But if you really want to torque it, cut an unplated hex key to fit. Then cut a slot in an old 3/8 inch drive socket to engage the hex bar handle of the hex key. Measure the increase in the torque wrench operating radius and reduce the wrench reading proportionately.

Note that if the torque wrench handle is at right angles to the hex bar, the increase in effective radius is essentially zero and no compensation is needed.

Allen-head socket. Proper length extension. 3/8" drive torque wrench.

Is the allen in question the lower left fastener in front of the shift lever ? If so when I removed that fastener the shift lever was in place and blocked the use of a ratchet. I need to check clearance of said fastener to see if a ratchet can be used with the shift lever off .

See the bottom half of post #4. Use a ball-end allen socket. Kent is right in post #7 about some applications but the fastener at this location has a full depth - not shallow - head socket and can easily take the specified torque even using a ball end. You will have the alignment of the extension at maybe a 15 degree angle to the threadline of the fastener. You could alter the torque spec but I wouldn't bother. Just set the wrench and tighen the capscrew. I have done this literally dozens of times.

At the risk of being labelled an "apostate", I have never used a torque wrench on those cap screws. ( hell, I probably just called them the wrong name ) The so-called "mechanics feel" has always worked for me.

At the risk of being labelled an "apostate", I have never used a torque wrench on those cap screws. ( hell, I probably just called them the wrong name ) The so-called "mechanics feel" has always worked for me.

That is absolutely true. But the original question was how do I use a torque wrench at this location. "Don't bother" is an answer, I suppose. But so is the prescription to use a ball end allen socket and extension on the torque wrench.

Back