• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle safety PSA

Reece PSA

Reece....pretty well done safety PSA.....should be posted everywhere.......

Coupla comments......I love the "nose-picker" gloves.....why do people wear 'em???
-no goggles/shield (??)
-almost without exception I recommend HIGH BEAMS during the day...this guys headlight was not on high.....no matter what he says....

Rant out :banghead

Reece....pretty well done safety PSA.....should be posted everywhere.......

Coupla comments......I love the "nose-picker" gloves.....why do people wear 'em???
-no goggles/shield (??)
-almost without exception I recommend HIGH BEAMS during the day...this guys headlight was not on high.....no matter what he says....

How about the black helmet? http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.full

Switch to a white helmet and improve your odds (by 24 percent).

Harry

Helmet

Physics tells us a white helmet is most visible however if everyone is wearing white helmets the guy in the black helmet will stick out and be noticed. It seems like if drivers get used to seeing something after a while they don't see it. I wear a Shoei Neotec fluorescent yellow and black, next helmet fluorescent blue maybe or fluorescent green?IMG_1307.jpg

Great video.

I must be doing something wrong. I don't have people turn left in front of me. I can't understand why he did either. He had louder pipes than I have. Maybe they weren't loud enough? And he dressed all in black. I just dress in hi-vis clothing.

Chris

Physics tells us a white helmet is most visible however if everyone is wearing white helmets the guy in the black helmet will stick out and be noticed.

That's not how it works. A motorist looks your way. He has a split second to notice you and perceive your presence. It makes no difference in that instant in time what color helmets others are wearing. Check over the findings of the study I provided a link to. Everyone has an opinion...the researchers had findings based on real-world results.

Harry

That's not how it works. A motorist looks your way. He has a split second to notice you and perceive your presence. It makes no difference in that instant in time what color helmets others are wearing. Check over the findings of the study I provided a link to. Everyone has an opinion...the researchers had findings based on real-world results.

Harry

Now I am confused... Your link to that study clearly states a light helmet improved conspicuity, as well as fluorescent gear. Aircraft studies reveal similar findings, although they point to contrasting colors because of the size of the object in view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time

Harry

He has a split second to notice me or only takes a split second to look

You do the best you can - or don't. There are no guarantees but you do the besst yoyu can. The Harley doofus folks with crap for gear and loud pipes do noat define us.

I kind of go by the idea in Philippians 1:21.

If they hit me...kill me. No big deal. I know where I'm going. :) But don't do it half way and leave me in a hospital bed for years and years. :(

Maybe that's why I'm still around.

Chris

You do the best you can - or don't. There are no guarantees but you do the besst yoyu can. The Harley doofus folks with crap for gear and loud pipes do noat define us.

I wonder how much time- if any, the Harley riders spend lobbing pot-shots toward BMW riders?
OM

I wonder how much time- if any, the Harley riders spend lobbing pot-shots toward BMW riders?
OM
They don't know any better... so probably none... but if they do, who cares? What they think about BMW riders does not matter to me. They all secretly wish they were like us anyway but they also want to be like the rest of the sheep. What a dilemma.:)
PS: I am tired of them asking me "Aren't you hot in all that gear?"

There's no need to PC about people that are making poor choices like ignoring available safety gear and making excessive noise. Accidents happen and you should take precaution to not become a financial burden to the community. Similarly, making noise is just making noise.....a pointless act, akin to flame cars.

Be a nice neighbor.

The studies to increase your odds of motorcycle survival have been done. More will be done. Suggestions will be made to help keep us safe. New equipment will continue to help our odds of surviving a crash.

I don't care what (they) wear? (Who ever (they) are?) I care about what I wear? I am responsible for me. I live or die by my choices. (They) have the right to do the same. As long as (they) are not breaking any laws, I don't want to waste any of my time worrying about them.........

John

I was in a bad wreck last summer. I was riding on a Arctic white, R1200RT while wearing a white jacket and white helmet and a driver didn't see me next to her and changed lanes into me. Even with all the conspicuous gear, I was not seen. But it was that conspicuous gear that I credit with saving my life.

I ride with guys that ride Harleys. They barley wear any safety gear, those little brain catcher helmets and sunglasses for eye protection. They have asked me "Aren't you hot in that stuff?" My response has always been "Proper safety gear is what saved my life. I wont let sweating or not looking cool dictate my safety."

Jay

Back