Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This bike from Caterham looks interesting~

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Thumbs up This bike from Caterham looks interesting~

While scrolling through Bench Racing and the Morning Reads I saw this-

This looks like a lot of fun, has anyone seen one in person?
    More info here- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...otorbikes.html
    Thanks Jon.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

First problem is those are the same tires they put on quads in the US. Not DOT compliant so getting it on road in the US would be an issue. I'm sure they make DOT in those sizes...
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2010 Yamaha TW200, 1978 R100/7

Left Coast Rider
    It'll probably be as popular as this was.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=yamah...0CBwQsAQ&dpr=1

If you want a Rokon, buy a Rokon.........

Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    First problem is those are the same tires they put on quads in the US. Not DOT compliant so getting it on road in the US would be an issue. I'm sure they make DOT in those sizes...
    No turn signals either. BUT, precisely what "street" would you suppose you would want to ride that thing on anyway.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    It'll probably be as popular as this was.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=yamah...0CBwQsAQ&dpr=1
    Actually the Yamaha TW200 (TW not the BW) is an excellent dual purpose motorcycle that is street legal, will exceed the non-interstate speed limit in any state except Texas, and is great in sand, mud, and desert scrub. Voni has one.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Actually the Yamaha TW200 (TW not the BW) is an excellent dual purpose motorcycle that is street legal, will exceed the non-interstate speed limit in any state except Texas, and is great in sand, mud, and desert scrub. Voni has one.
    Yeah, the TW200 on 'roids It reminds me of my TW200 which is a hoot- all 16hp with a seat......well it needs a better seat for longer rides.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'm not sure they really know what they're building; cars, motorcycles, or bicycles.

Personally, I'd like a Superlight, even if it doesn't have three wheels.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Thanks for the pointer. I've been thinking about a light, street-legal dual purpose bike to take on our travels so I can explore the Forest Service gravel roads. That looks like just the ticket. I don't think my RT would do too well on gravel/dirt roads.

More on topic...a guy I used to work with built a Caterham Super 7 or whatever they call it ( the car in the picture above). It was really nice but I couldn't fit in it at 6'5".
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    I'm looking at the frame... Looks like someone put some time and energy into the design. Very thoughtful and interesting. And different.
    LIKE.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    "If you want a Rokon, Buy a Rokon"
    Rokon= 1960
    Caterham= 21st century
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I'm looking at the frame... Looks like someone put some time and energy into the design. Very thoughtful and interesting. And different.
    LIKE.
    Someone with a gratuitous cylinder fixation........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    I'm not sure they really know what they're building; cars, motorcycles, or bicycles.

Personally, I'd like a Superlight, even if it doesn't have three wheels.
    Well we know for certain that they cannot build a Formula 1 car worth a hoot.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Oldwhatshername had one. Rode the dickens out of it and loved it. I'd actually like to find another cheap for her to play on in the Tucson area.

As to Caterham, if they put those energies in their F1 team, it wouldn't have gone the way of the dinosaur.

and yes, I had skin in the game - I was a financial supporter so they coud affoird to race Abu Dhabi.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I remember those things from years ago. They looked like they would be great fun off road.