• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

British Chieftan 1965 vintage
From a show called Roadkill...it starts with a head to head with a GREMLIN. Some adult language by the gearhead TV crew. Once again ALL in fun . The tank part is at the end of the show.

Hmmm, Brit tanks often have scalloped skirting. Should have known even tho the driver's hatch is not on the left.

You know, the thing that concerns me most about the tank running over the Prius is the fact that the roof basically sheared away from the A, B & C Pillars. It seems sort of like a roll cage with no cross bars and is a bit disappointing.

You know, the thing that concerns me most about the tank running over the Prius is the fact that the roof basically sheared away from the A, B & C Pillars. It seems sort of like a roll cage with no cross bars and is a bit disappointing.

According to the crash test results, you shouldn't. Unless the Tank crush test is of particular concern to you....

Really not concerned from the safety standpoint. The chances of rolling over in such a manner that you smack dead center on the roof and shear it off of the pillars is probably pretty low. I do suspect that they gave up rigidity which hurt the handling and opened the door for an aftermarket underbody stiffening brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really not concerned from the safety standpoint. The chances of rolling over in such a manner that you smack dead center on the roof and shear it off of the pillars is probably pretty low. I do suspect that they gave up rigidity which hurt the handling and opened the door for an aftermarket underbody stiffening brace.

Ya know, I never even thought about body flex on our Prius. I'd probably need a tire change to get to the point of knowing? :wave

Just the right road. I ran some unpaved roads in CO at a decent clip and you could feel it flexing. According to conversations on priuschat, the highway vagueness and sidewind issues were improved with the brace.

Last edited:
Highway vagueness :eek..... Sidewinder issues:uhoh.....!

Where is Ralph Nader when you need him. Maybe we shouldn't complain when someone in a Prius is poking along.:jawdrop

Just thought we were losing focus on the thread's title. :wave

Highway vagueness :eek..... Sidewinder issues:uhoh.....!

Where is Ralph Nader when you need him. Maybe we shouldn't complain when someone in a Prius is poking along.:jawdrop

Just thought we were losing focus on the thread's title. :wave

A little slow on the crowd sourcing of your next fill-up, I see...........

Sidewind(er - thanks , Siri) issues = being able to be pushed around like a minivan and the faster you go the less precise the steering feels. Not really unsafe, just open for improvement.

Back to the topic, I have found that my 2008 Prius speedometer to be off by 3 mph vs my GPS. My mother's 2012 Prius is off by 4 mph. I know that many newer cars are a couple mph little under, but I think 4 mph is too much. I generally set the cruise control to 3 mph over and go. For 2 years, I had a 140 mile drive as a commission-based employee, so every MPG I could get back would increase what I could afford to do on the weekend.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gfpXULqYV7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Back to the topic, I have found that my 2008 Prius speedometer to be off by 3 mph vs my GPS. My mother's 2012 Prius is off by 4 mph. I know that many newer cars are a couple mph little under, but I think 4 mph is too much. I generally set the cruise control to 3 mph over and go. For 2 years, I had a 140 mile drive as a commission-based employee, so every MPG I could get back would increase what I could afford to do on the weekend.

Those errors are small compared to the optimistic speedo on my R11RS.....

Back