• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Prius and mini vans on any scenic road are a pain, ten to twenty below limit, never look to see the twenty plus cars backed up behind them

Well not always. Saw a Prius driver getting a performance award yesterday. He was in a 70 MPH zone and must have been running 85. And, you could insert "Motorcyles" in that description of yours and it would hold true in the National Parks.

Well not always. Saw a Prius driver getting a performance award yesterday. He was in a 70 MPH zone and must have been running 85. And, you could insert "Motorcyles" in that description of yours and it would hold true in the National Parks.

Yes that is a truism, have been stuck behind a gaggle of Milwaukee's finest on more that one occasion

Unfortunately I sometimes ride with a couple of local Beemer riders that are guilty of the same behavior. Generally short rides to a cafe, but sometimes longer. A few times I rode drag and it was no fun. Now I always lead and we just agree to where the next stop is going to be and off I go. I'm no Valentino Marquez, but I do the speed limit and maybe a bit more. When I'm riding with others I have a prime directive, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. At least they do that.

Greetings all. I commute around 120 miles a day, on Hwy 101 and 1 here in Central Coastal California
I have noticed a trend over the last 5 years and have been wondering if it's just me or is something up? It appears like 80% of the time, if there is a car holding up the smooth flow of traffic it will be a Toyota Prius. The most common scene being traffic will be flowing smooth around 75mph in the fast lane and "whammo" there is a Prius doing a steadfast 64MPH even though there plenty of room for slower travel in the right lane. This forces everyone else to use the right lane to get around with subsequent snarl and resultant danger. The scene of travel at 64mph in the right lane when traffic is flowing 65-70 in that lane and 75-80 in the fast lane seems to occur pretty often as well. I've been calling it "Prius Syndrome". Am I alone in this observation? What could be wrong with these folks? I postulate these folks are intent on watching the fuel economy gauge which drops dramatically over 65mph or during acceleration and not watching the road. Check it out next time your out in commuterland.

In Mass. the common denominator is the faded Elizabeth Warren, Obama- Biden bumper sticker.
Not trying to be political, just stating an observation.

Unfortunately I sometimes ride with a couple of local Beemer riders that are guilty of the same behavior. Generally short rides to a cafe, but sometimes longer. A few times I rode drag and it was no fun. Now I always lead and we just agree to where the next stop is going to be and off I go. I'm no Valentino Marquez, but I do the speed limit and maybe a bit more. When I'm riding with others I have a prime directive, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. At least they do that.

I did a group ride with some "Milwaukee finest" once. When the Greyhound bus overtook us on an uphill climb (on I-80), I was done.

So, someone with the technical curiosity of Mr. Glaves would fit right in?

Sounds vaguely similar to this place.

I already get 40, or 42, and a few times 47 with pure gas in our Saturn and I don't have to drive goofy to do it. The marginal benefit to have to buy batteries in a few years certainly isn't worth it to me. But YMMV.

I already get 40, or 42, and a few times 47 with pure gas in our Saturn and I don't have to drive goofy to do it. The marginal benefit to have to buy batteries in a few years certainly isn't worth it to me. But YMMV.

Ever meet anybody that had to replace a Prius battery?

So, how bad was that? And, how old and how many miles?

I have no idea. I'd suggest you go to the Prius forum for those answers. Face it. You like the car. I don't dislike the car at all - just the fact that some of the owners seem to feel compelled to drive in a goofy fashion that disturbs the normal flow of traffic and which is in my opinion rude and inconsiderate of other drivers. You don't agree. That's fine with me. I don't really have much of a dog in the fight - I know of one Prius in Brewster County and the lady who drives it is very nice and doesn't drive like a goof!

Last edited:
I have no idea. I'd suggest you go to the Prius forum for those answers. Face it. You like the car. I don't dislike the car at all - just the fact that some of the owners seem to feel compelled to drive in a goffy fashion that disturbs the normal flow of traffic and which is in my opinion rude and inconsiderate of other drivers. You don't agree. That's fine with me. I don't really have much of a dog in the fight - I know of one Prius in Brewster County and the lady who drives it is very nice and doesn't drive like a goof!

It's not like I said anything snarky about the Saturn.....:)

It's not like I said anything snarky about the Saturn.....:)

As I said - I don't dislike the car. I put a couple of hundred miles on Voni's aunt's prius up in Washington a few summers ago. And I rode with Aunt Viv who in her 80s was more aggressive than I am. And where we live I don't see many hyper milers. But when I do see one I think he or she is a goof! And rude!

Many people think driving the speed limit is rude and inconsiderate, that everyone should be 20 over the speed limit. Who cares what they think?

Harry

Many people think driving the speed limit is rude and inconsiderate, that everyone should be 20 over the speed limit. Who cares what they think?

Harry

There ya go. That's the sorta attitude that can only irritate, inflame and incite other drivers to act poorly.

Harry

Which of course has absolutely nothing to do with a driver driving a car of whatever make/model who begins to slow down by coasting two blocks before the upcoming stop sign, or who accelerates at a snails pace from a stop, or even up a freeway entrance ramp. Go back and read the first few posts in this thread about the behavior I am calling "goofy" and rude!

Back