• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Since this is a Prius thread, I'll start by confessing that my wife drives a Prius, and we both agree that it's a great commuter car. My commuter's corner connection is that.... I was riding home from work in Los Angeles, and a Prius was tailgating me in the carpool lane. Traffic was backed up, as it was rush hour, so I wasn't holding back traffic. He ignored my hand-wave asking him to back off. I had a bit of a head cold at the time, so after enduring about 10 minutes with the Prius on my ass, I cleared my throat and let a mucus bomb fly over my shoulder. I looked back and I saw windshield wipers wiping, and a Prius keeping a 30 yard gap. Childish? Maybe, Awesome karma moment? Yessss.

My wife drives a Prius. I shared your post with her and we both laughed and laughed and laughed. The newer Prius's (Prii?) have automatic windshield wipers. Get some moisture on the windshield and the wipers turn on. She has a friend with one who had a seagull take a dump on the windshield. The wipers did just like they were designed to do and turned on...spreading the huge mass of white poop all across the windshield.

FWIW, I predominately use engine compression braking and don't get tailgaters.

Chris

I think the look of the Prius Prime is far better than a regular Prius. The car rides and handles better, and feels more like a luxury car. Those LED headlights are really effective. I really like the car. My old '07 still looks good with no hint of rust. It is going to my daughter, so I have found a good home for it. I was planning on keeping that '07 for two more years, but my oldest grandson has started driving, I wanted to help my daughter out, the Prius Prime has good reviews, and that $4,500 tax credit is very enticing. I'm also not getting any younger, so what the heck. With that tax credit, a Prius Prime is cheaper than a standard Prius.

I had my favorite electrician come over and install a 120 volt outlet on the outside of the house, wired for 20 amps, with a 20 amp breaker and a GFCI double receptacle in an outdoor box with a bubble to keep the weather out. All of that for under $100 and I'm in business and have charged the car with the plug. I did get more than 25 miles of range in full electric yesterday and then the car reverted to hybrid mode and still got better than 50 mpg in hybrid mode.

Harry

FYI Harry This is a new NECA code requirment for new home expect inside the garage, one for each car parked inside, but you do not need the bubble cover.:thumb

A proud 14/15 MPH average with my Tundra. You Prius folks should surely know that the mocking of your vehicle is now a meme (first time I ever used that word, guess I'm a hipster) and is only reinforced by a response. Everyone gets that they are very fuel efficient; many people just do not care and do not care that some people find that opinion disagreeable.

My interest in energy efficiency started when spending two summers in Alaska as a college kid, and seeing the receding glaciers.

No one had to tip me off about global warming, and no, I don't care whether you care about that, either.

Since this is a Prius thread, I'll start by confessing that my wife drives a Prius, and we both agree that it's a great commuter car. My commuter's corner connection is that.... I was riding home from work in Los Angeles, and a Prius was tailgating me in the carpool lane. Traffic was backed up, as it was rush hour, so I wasn't holding back traffic. He ignored my hand-wave asking him to back off. I had a bit of a head cold at the time, so after enduring about 10 minutes with the Prius on my ass, I cleared my throat and let a mucus bomb fly over my shoulder. I looked back and I saw windshield wipers wiping, and a Prius keeping a 30 yard gap. Childish? Maybe, Awesome karma moment? Yessss.

🤣

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christmas shopping for your Prius driving friends?

I've found the place!
Better late than never!

IMG_6401.jpg

Last edited:
Funny. Maybe its the multi-lane roads. My Prius story/ies is the exact opposite. From 2011 to 2012 I was commuting from Frederick County, MD to Dulles, VA, and because of the scarcity of bridges over the Potomac, ended up on the Leesburg Bypass/US-15. Its mostly two lane, that is one lane each way, through beautiful rural Maryland. Yet routinely, there would be someone going well below the speed limit, it usually was an AARP-mobile, 4 door Buick, or an ancient econobox. I would try to avoid "high" rush hour, because US-15 would be a 37 mile conga line of cars in either direction. In the near rush hours, when life is good, the stars would align, and a gap in traffic in the opposite lane and the dotted line would occur at the same time, and you could pass. Long story short, once I passed the sluggard-mobile, there would be several cars ahead of me driving like heck. And the fastest car on this curvy, dinky, annoying two lane, would be a Prius. Maybe it was a cult thing, because it wasn't just the one Prius. I can only assume the Prius drivers were thinking, "F" the mileage, life is too short spend it on the Leesburg Bypass.

My 2012 Prius C just turned 100,000 miles. In that time it needed new tires, brake pads, and a starter battery. That's it. It doesn't have much passing power but is fast enough off the line and can scoot at 80+mph on the Interstate. With good winter tires it handles up to 3" of snow well; above that and it has ground clearance issues. A nine gallon fill lasts me three weeks and on rural highways my average fuel consumption is 56mpg.

Will definitely get another when this one wears out.

Pete

can scoot at 80+mph on the Interstate.

Reminds me of the story of Al Gore's kid getting stopped/arrested/ticketed for doing 102 mph in a Prius on a freeway in Southern California.............. :dance Toyota should have used that in an ad campaign..........

They can scoot.............:thumb

GD

Back