Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Didn't they used to have a law on the Olympic Peninsula about blocking 5 cars?
    I think they still do. There are also more passing lanes but inevitably someone will pull into the passing lane accelerate 3 MPH faster than the car the are passing and take the entire length of the lane to get by. You can only laugh.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by romany View Post
    I think they still do. There are also more passing lanes but inevitably someone will pull into the passing lane accelerate 3 MPH faster than the car the are passing and take the entire length of the lane to get by. You can only laugh.
    Happens here often as well...to me twice today...I wasn't laughing then...but yeah, just shake your head and wonder if they ever take a looksy in the rearview at the line behind THEM

And if only they were going 3 faster...feels like 1!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Lost in the translation?

One explanation is Toyotas original name for the Prius was to have been The Pious.

See Harios "Skerton" coffee mill. It was supposed to be called Skeleton, but when the packaging info was sent to the printer it did not translate correctly.

Hario, a Japanese manufacturer of high quality coffee & tea brewing gear just kept the name.

I could be right on this.

Bill
    Last edited by tanker4me; 03-23-2016 at 01:48 AM.

I was cruising along with a Prius doing 80-must have been a biker trapped in a cage...
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    I was cruising along with a Prius doing 80-must have been a biker trapped in a cage...
    I was beginning to think my post was a thread killer.

I was just kidding about the Prius, everybody knows that the BIG WHITE pick-up is the true scourge of the road.

Bill
    Last edited by tanker4me; 06-28-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    I was beginning to think my post was a thread killer
    It was a good ending while it lasted

My list of "cars I REALLY hate to see in front of me":
    Subaru Outback. I almost think that their speedometers are set to read 10 high, as max speed seems to be 5 under the limit. One reason people get them is because they're perceived as being super safe. Super safe and reaching the speed limit do not spend much time hanging out together.
    Toyota Prius. 'nuff said.
    CJ-5 type Jeeps especially, but most any Jeep is a likely buzz kill. I suspect that parts start falling off over 50.
    Buicks, especially when driven by men wearing fedoras or bowlers while driving. If you're oblivious enough to keep your hat on while driving your car, iI don't want to be within 2 counties of you when you're on the road.
    Volvo station wagons. They're kinda like Outbacks, only for people with more money.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Now that VW is going to pay me market plus about $5K to own my 12 Passat TDI, been looking at a new cage. Drove the various Toyota hybrids and all I can say for a Prius is that you've got to be pretty uncritical to want one. Toyota/Lexi in general set the mark for boredom and the Prius leads the pack. Honda has a new hybrid Accord (48 mpg overall rating) that is technically superior (better batteries and motors) and a real car- shows the Toys need significant updates which I expect they are now goaded to do.

Other things I've found interesting are the BMW 5 series diesel- runs as smooth as gas and 40 mpg- so am waiting to see next years version which is said to be approaching 500 lb-ft (twin turbo 3L six) with same mileage.

Hybrids and diesels have similar range- a property I like more as I get older.

Big losers so far
    New Merc E class- industrial and crude feel despite all the cute engineering choices (base 4 cyl gas turbo turns diesel-like rpm hooked to a good 9 speed box). I expect this car will not be well received by current Merc owners
    Audi - only gas motors

Still need to check out the Jag XE diesel...

Yeah we've got lots of Prius left lane pigs in NC but also mostly clear right lanes. Passing power is a good thing but as I get older I think I'd like an installed paintball gun in the grill. Its nice to know the guy in front of you spends his time watching his econ gauge instead of the road (and at less than $2/gal for fuel)
    Have had too many problems with US vehicles in the past to get interested in Ford or GM hybrids and, of course, GM's idiocy of years ago means we'll never see a US diesel cage.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Have had too many problems with US vehicles in the past to get interested in Ford or GM hybrids and, of course, GM's idiocy of years ago means we'll never see a US diesel cage.
    Well there is the GM Cruze diesel which has an Opel engine out of Europe. Its the rest of the GM that worries me though.

With only 19K miles on my 2013, I don't think I'll be accepting "market value".

I had Fords in the past too, but all were so so. Just got a 2013. I was quite surprised!
    The closes to a VW was an old Audi. Sure glad it is gone.

Left lane bandits

They come in all colors and types of vehicles. Around here in NASCAR country, many know how to use the Richard Petty method of removing obstacles in front of us. Watch out for trucks with reinforced front bumpers; they are there for a reason.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    They come in all colors and types of vehicles. Around here in NASCAR country, many know how to use the Richard Petty method of removing obstacles in front of us. Watch out for trucks with reinforced front bumpers; they are there for a reason.
    Just another reason there are places I won't ride. That is called assault with a deadly weapon in civilized locations but not in "NASCAR Country" apparently.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 08-02-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I lived in that part of the country for many years and believe this to be hyperbole.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I clicked on the thread thinking this was about how much better gas mileage a 1.5 ton car can get over just about any motorcycle on the road. Hmmm...

We did just buy a 2016 Prius. My wife is not one of those who hogs the left lane on the freeway. She doesn't drive the freeway. So much for that.

As for the Prius, I really liked it even though it is her car. The seats on ours are comfortable. The ride is firm and swallows the bumps like a much larger car without having the weight. We didn't get the version with the HUD, but it has enough technology in it to make me really appreciate what Toyota has done. Wind and engine noise is non-existent. And the gas mileage? It's in the 70's with normal driving.

BTW, racer7, my car is a 2005 Subaru Outback XT with the 2.5 turbo. There's nothing bland about that when you press your foot to the floor. (Only on a freeway on-ramp or on a closed course with professional drivers, of course. )

Chris

Petty

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I lived in that part of the country for many years and believe this to be hyperbole.
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/d...ews01968-.html
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.