• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

I had a P car come flying up behind me earlier in the week on a two lane road w/ no shoulder and double yellow stripe. I was in my Cummins Dodge pushing 5 over in a 70. Got so close , I could barely see it in the rearview:dunno I was not impressed, but not much to do short of having them eat a bumper for several miles.

I finally got to a wider spot in the road and eased over as far as I could... PeePaw and MeeMaw well into their 80's blew by and she was chatting at me...didn't lip read ,but I guess I was not being blessed. Who knows:scratch

They def were not HyperMilin' :banghead

PeePaw and MeeMaw aren't going to waste the remaining inches on their yardstick of life behind you Pokey. At 50 mpg, they've places to be and money to spend.

Did she smile with that blessing?

PeePaw and MeeMaw aren't going to waste the remaining inches on their yardstick of life behind you Pokey. At 50 mpg, they've places to be and money to spend.

Did she smile with that blessing?

She def was not smiling at me, it was an angry stink eye mouthing of words. I was laughing in shock seeing their ages as it took a bit to pass me. I waved:wave

She def was not smiling at me, it was an angry stink eye mouthing of words. I was laughing in shock seeing their ages as it took a bit to pass me. I waved:wave

Just be careful. They might get to heaven before you and lock the door

Kia's new NIRO may be some competition for those Prius'sss-

At least the commercials are better :evil

OM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Br4jISZp0fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The new ones are better than my '07.

Harry

1+1=2, 2+2=4, 4+1=5

Funny thing is........there's a lot of Prius owners on this forum.
Funny thing? When I was 3 years old & learning to count, 5 seemed like a lot!
Now, it just seems to be too many.
What was that about free beer?
AntiMatter

Last edited:
Funny thing? When I was 3 years old & learning to count, 5 seemed like a lot!
Now, it just seems to be too many.
What was that about free beer?
AntiMatter

5 is a big number on this forum.

I and AKSuited are two, but there's more

I've never seriously considered a plug-in hybrid up until now, but the Prius Prime is interesting. The price is not much higher than a Prius, and there is a $4,500 tax credit on the Prime, and the charge cord plugs into a regular 120v outlet. It's got a 25-mile electric range. And in regular hybrid mode it's still good for 53 mpg highway.

More here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/53726/

Harry

I've never seriously considered a plug-in hybrid up until now, but the Prius Prime is interesting. The price is not much higher than a Prius, and there is a $4,500 tax credit on the Prime, and the charge cord plugs into a regular 120v outlet. It's got a 25-mile electric range. And in regular hybrid mode it's still good for 53 mpg highway.

More here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/53726/

Harry

I would assume the 4500 tax credit will evaporate....soon.

FWIW, that Kia Niro will be out, re-skinned by Hyundai as an actual car, where its more reasonable level of air plowing will result in a useful mileage increase- expected to be 50ish. To be released later this year. Anything looking like an SUV is an automatic 15-30% fuel or energy waster compared to a sensible aero shape. The Prius is ugly to many for exactly that reason and unattractive to some who don't care for those lowered traction/low rolling resistance tires.

The Prius is ugly to many for exactly that reason and unattractive to some who don't care for those lowered traction/low rolling resistance tires.

Creating a product based on sound engineering principles is apparently bad. As a system design, the Prius is good example of leveraging benefits from multiple technologies to achieve high efficiency.

How do you like the styling of the current generation? I promised my wife a new one this year, but she doesn't like the "edgy" new body shape.

I think the look of the Prius Prime is far better than a regular Prius. The car rides and handles better, and feels more like a luxury car. Those LED headlights are really effective. I really like the car. My old '07 still looks good with no hint of rust. It is going to my daughter, so I have found a good home for it. I was planning on keeping that '07 for two more years, but my oldest grandson has started driving, I wanted to help my daughter out, the Prius Prime has good reviews, and that $4,500 tax credit is very enticing. I'm also not getting any younger, so what the heck. With that tax credit, a Prius Prime is cheaper than a standard Prius.

I had my favorite electrician come over and install a 120 volt outlet on the outside of the house, wired for 20 amps, with a 20 amp breaker and a GFCI double receptacle in an outdoor box with a bubble to keep the weather out. All of that for under $100 and I'm in business and have charged the car with the plug. I did get more than 25 miles of range in full electric yesterday and then the car reverted to hybrid mode and still got better than 50 mpg in hybrid mode.

Harry

Since this is a Prius thread, I'll start by confessing that my wife drives a Prius, and we both agree that it's a great commuter car. My commuter's corner connection is that.... I was riding home from work in Los Angeles, and a Prius was tailgating me in the carpool lane. Traffic was backed up, as it was rush hour, so I wasn't holding back traffic. He ignored my hand-wave asking him to back off. I had a bit of a head cold at the time, so after enduring about 10 minutes with the Prius on my ass, I cleared my throat and let a mucus bomb fly over my shoulder. I looked back and I saw windshield wipers wiping, and a Prius keeping a 30 yard gap. Childish? Maybe, Awesome karma moment? Yessss.

Why single out a Prius driver as a tailgater? I've never had a Prius tailgate me, but plenty of other vehicles.

My running average MPG's after more than 10K miles: 87.1 mpg.

Back